Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just received my A &A Black Prince. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Just received my A &A Black Prince.         Reply with quote

My order became official on the 28th of April and I just got it today the 25th of May less than a month Big Grin

It was shipped yesterday and got here TODAY: Now that is fast Eek! and no annoying delays caused by slow Canada Customs processing Cool ( As usual with Craig, all my E-Mails and questions were answered the same day or the next. )
It feels feather light and it makes it hard to believe that it is actually heavier than my Sovereign and Gaddhjalt.

It may be a Hand & a Half sword but one handed use doesn't seem like it would be reserved for emergency use or only as a poor second choice to two handed use.

If I close my eyes I could imagine that I was holding my 15" dagger as far as potential speed and agility is concerned.

The pommel has a pleasing subtlely elliptical shape and is very massive: Could make a mace look puny.

The guard combines very pleasant lines making it graceful and strong construction matching the pommel in mass.

The blade is paper cutting sharp out of the box and slicing note paper was easy.

To compare apples to oranges as far as balance and function my Gaddhjalt is a power cutter that might be described as 75% cutter with 25% thrusting capability , the Black Prince using the same imaginary scale would be 70% thruster with an adequate 30% cutting ability against unarmoured opponents. ( Just untested opinion here.

The fit and finish is satiny with crisp lines, the only minor flaw is that the centrer ridge is slightly of centrer near the point on one side. ( Very minor and historically accurate, I think ! Perfect symmetry, mirror finishes and geometrically perfect ridge line are more a modern " Knife collectors' " obsession and expectation Wink Laughing Out Loud )

Handling very different types of swords and an unfamiliar one for the first time always give me that " Oh this is more that just a question of style " : Form really does go with function.

Bottom line: I'm very pleased with this one Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 25 May, 2005 11:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been a big fan of A&A's Black Prince sword since first seeing it at their shop some 4 years ago. I'll be eager to read your continued commentary as you get more of a chance to play with it.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes Jean, please gives us more feedback when you can.

About five or six years ago I did a review of this sword. It was the first one that started to change my perception of swords of this type. I like it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 25 May, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I will give you further comments if and when something, I hope useful, comes to mind: But I don't do any serious test cutting with my swords and I am not qualified to get " technical " about sword performance and statistics.

So any comments by me are based on FEEL and what I hope are logical " GUESSWORK ".

But it really does feel real good just unexpertly moving it around.

( Would be nice to be able to handle a large sampling of Albion, A & A and other quality reproductions + a few originals in one long drool fest Razz Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud )

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jean! I'm trying very hard not to call the guys and A&A all the time to pester them about my latest order. So far I've succeeded... mostly...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Very cool! Glad to hear that you are so pleased with your new "Black Prince"! I have to say that I myself have been inordinately pleased with my own A&A products, and it's always good to hear that they continue that throughout their product line!

Thanks for the review, and enjoy the new acquisition!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just received my A &A Black Prince.         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jean! I have been eyeing the Black Prince for a while. I have a Gustav Vasa on order from A&A, and that should be completed soon.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...It feels feather light...It may be a Hand & a Half sword but one handed use doesn't seem like it would be reserved for emergency use or only as a poor second choice to two handed use...If I close my eyes I could imagine that I was holding my 15" dagger as far as potential speed and agility is concerned....

But, Jean, lest ordinary mortals be misled, you are a wee bit larger than the average fellow, as I recall. Perhaps it would take a boat anchor for you to feel the need for two hands? Laughing Out Loud
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Just received my A &A Black Prince.         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
But, Jean, lest ordinary mortals be misled, you are a wee bit larger than the average fellow, as I recall. Perhaps it would take a boat anchor for you to feel the need for two hands? Laughing Out Loud

There certainly would be differences from one practitioner to another - we're all built differently, and as well of differing skills and backgrounds. Still, though, all joking aside, this is a good point to make. Where Jean might state this is light and nimble as a feather, another may perceive it as an I-beam. As they say... individual results may vary.

In this case, I'd probably belong in the "wee bit bigger" category, just for the record. Razz

Oh, and Jean, congrats on the Black Prince! One of these days, I'll lay my mitts on one of those - check it out for myself.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just received my A &A Black Prince.         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

It feels feather light and it makes it hard to believe that it is actually heavier than my Sovereign and Gaddhjalt.

What is the actual weight if I may ask? 1300 grams or so?
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Just received my A &A Black Prince.         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
What is the actual weight if I may ask? 1300 grams or so?

Anton;

Darned good think you asked a Canadian that! Not many of us Yanks could figure that one out... Big Grin At least not without having to think about it for a while (and maybe grab a calculator!)

Cheers,

Gordon

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton;

I don't have a precision scale so I can't give you the weight of mine but the " COMPARE " tool above gives the weight at 3.5 Lbs. ( 1.59 kilos )

In comparison my Gaddhjalt is stated to be 2.9 Lbs on the Albion site and feels like a real heavy cutter: Lots of blade presence.

The Albion Regent is also 3.5 pounds if that gives you a point of reference.

My A & A 15th century twohander comes in at a bit over 6 pounds: This one is at the border where I can hold it in the middle of the grip one handed fairly easily when my arm is almost fully extended, controlling it in motion and recovery would be a different story for more than an occasional swing. ( Not to mention when fatigue would become a factor very soon in any kind of combat. )

Now, my Del Tin Venetian twohander is just barely holdable with one hand at a weight of about 8 to 9 Lbs.

I've been slacking off on my gym attendance in the last couple of years but I did a good 15 years of weight training from 1985 to 2000. A bit of " honest " bragging here ( Is there any other kind ? ) I could do one arm dumbell rowing with 140 lbs for at least 8 reps strictly and maybe 12 reps cheating the weight up. Last time I went to the gym after a LONG layoff from training I could still handle 100 Lbs.
Appart from not being able to resist the urge to bore everybody with this, it might give an Idea why I compared the Black Prince to a 15" dagger in feel. The profile taper combined with the distal taper does give a point of balance only a couple of inches from the guard so it feels almost like holding a small 3.5 Lbs weight in a closed fist.

Anyway, let the teasing " begin " ( Continue ? )

Razz Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
it might give an idea

And the idea is : "Don't pick a fight with Jean". Got it. Thanks.

Strange. It looks much lighter to my admittedly still untrained eye.
I'd very much like to hold one, but I don't think that will happen any time soon, if ever.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
it might give an idea

He's also a really good shot, so this is a very good idea indeed! Big Grin

Cheers,

Gordon

Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
it might give an idea

n

I get it: "If you pick a fight with Jean, don't run away".

Typical lose/lose situation. I'll pass. Thank you. Eek!
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Gordon Frye wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
it might give an idea

n

I get it: "If you pick a fight with Jean, don't run away".

Typical lose/lose situation. I'll pass. Thank you. Eek!

There is always the option of cheating! Laughing Out Loud
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
There is always the option of cheating! Laughing Out Loud

He also plays hockey, so I suspect that he knows how to deal with that too! Eek!

Gordon

Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Surely the man must have a weakness.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth;

Actually, I do feel a little weak when exposed to Kryptonite.

Oh, and I don't play hockey, can barely skate and only in a strait line and " How do you stop with these things ".
but my skates would be scary sharp Razz Laughing Out Loud

Hmmmmmm, maybe A & A could make me a combination Poleaxe / Hockey Stick. ( Also sharp! )

Also, it takes a lot to get me mad, and the " Cause " must be just Wink

I could also count eating too much as a weakness ........ LOL.

But getting back to topic, the Black Prince: I wonder what kind of leather A & A used ? After a little " renaissance wax " the grain of the leather is really attractive when you look closely: Sort of a crosshatched skin texture with what I think are large pores dotting the surface. ( Where hair used to be ? )

The more I hold this one the more I like it. Oh, although I sort of like the look of a needle sharp point, the way this one is done keeps it from being easily snapped of or mushed ! The point seen in profile takes the shape of a rifle bullet in the last 1 / 2 " of blade and at a width of about 3 / 8 " depending on where one chooses to measure.

Now, this point is small enough to find chinks in the armour or maybe burst a link of maille ? ( We can start a whole new argument about how resistant to this is maille ...... LOL. )

Oh, after a little use of the renaissance wax the nice satiny finish really looks better than at my first glance at it after an all nighter of playing " Age of empire II " on my Mac: Unpacked the sword, everything looked O.K. , got some sleep !

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...I could also count eating too much as a weakness ........ LOL.

Aha. So you're not all muscle! Won't need as much kryptonite... Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
But getting back to topic, the Black Prince: I wonder what kind of leather A & A used ? After a little " renaissance wax " the grain of the leather is really attractive when you look closely: Sort of a crosshatched skin texture with what I think are large pores dotting the surface. ( Where hair used to be ? )

(a) How does the leather grip after the RenWax? I would worry that it would become slippery.
(b) leather is maybe calfskin? My A&A GBS has a nice leather grip, and I also can see the 'pores' (yes, I think, where the hair used to be), but I can't really see a crosshatched texture. Of course, with my old eyes, I can't see closeup as well as I once could Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
The more I hold this one the more I like it. Oh, although I sort of like the look of a needle sharp point, the way this one is done keeps it from being easily snapped of or mushed ! The point seen in profile takes the shape of a rifle bullet in the last 1 / 2 " of blade and at a width of about 3 / 8 " depending on where one chooses to measure.

Cool photo opportunity, Jean. Time to get out your camera and post a pic Cool
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve;

About 20% body fat ! I look more like a 19th century strongman like Louis Cyr but he was MUCH stronger ! I'm 5" 9" and 230 Lbs. ( Does this Gambison make me look FAT ??? ......... LOL )

So maybe at 200 Lbs I might look more Arnold like Big Grin

The good news is that the Renwax seems to make the grip MORE grippy not less, at least when applied initially and the grip is never more slippery after a lot of handling as the excess wax rubs off or the wax dries. ( No finger prints on the blade visible as opposed to oiling, so wipping down after touching the blade is very much minimized ... Love this stuff.... get some. )

Actually I might want to wax the grip just before I was going to use it, if I did any test cutting.

Oh, and I should buy a digital camera if I can stop buying swords Razz Laughing Out Loud

Now you've done it ! I'm thinking about buying one, and with Photoshop I can remove any distracting / DISTURBING backgrounds like my messy room.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just received my A &A Black Prince.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: