Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viceroy inspiration Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Viceroy inspiration         Reply with quote

Are there pics available of the sword at Landesmuseum in Zürich that inspired the hilt on the Viceroy?

I know the sword in the Royal Armouries in Leeds inspired the pommel, which in on albions site, but I havn't seen the second sword that inspired the Viceroy.

Also the viceroy looks like something I have seen before, but I have been unable to find any pics that ressemble it, other than the painting on the Viceroy scabbard page.

So if anybody knows of a sword with a similar pommel to the Viceroy I would love to see it.

Thanks,
Lance
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Are there pics available of the sword at Landesmuseum in Zürich that inspired the hilt on the Viceroy?

I know the sword in the Royal Armouries in Leeds inspired the pommel, which in on albions site, but I havn't seen the second sword that inspired the Viceroy.

Lance,
You have it a bit backwards. The blade was inspired by one in the Royal Armouries (though the Viceroy blade is a warsword version of it). The pommel by the sword in Zurich. From Albion's site:

Quote:
The blade on this sword is a larger scale version of a long and slender single hand sword that is kept at the Royal armouries in Leeds....

The hilt of this sword is inpired by a handsome war sword from the Landesmuseum in Zürch.

Here's the pic from Albion's site of the hilt of the Zurich sword:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a picture from one of Oakeshott's books - forget which one. I believe this is the inspiration for the hilt of Arms and Armor's English Longsword. Perhaps this is what you were thinking of when you said you had seen something similar?

Gordon

Attachment: 26.41 KB
FelmishHiltSmall.JPG

Lance K.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok guys thanks for the correction and the pics. I was thinking hilt refered to the cross gaurd only, so I was thinking the one sword inspired the cross gaurd and the other inspired the pommel.

I was hoping to find a pic other than those two, but seems there are not a lot of pommels like that out there. I searched through all the albums and didn't see anything. Seems strange as the viceroy is strangly familar yet I don't now from where, and it seems imigaes of similar swords are rare.

Thanks again.
Lance
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Ok guys thanks for the correction and the pics. I was thinking hilt refered to the cross gaurd only, so I was thinking the one sword inspired the cross gaurd and the other inspired the pommel.

I was hoping to find a pic other than those two, but seems there are not a lot of pommels like that out there. I searched through all the albums and didn't see anything. Seems strange as the viceroy is strangly familar yet I don't now from where, and it seems imigaes of similar swords are rare.

Thanks again.
Lance

Hey Lance,
There are actually a number of swords in the Landesmuseum in Zürich that has pommels of this same type. There is a sword with a XIIIa blade with a hilt like this and that one might be even closer to the Viceroy in overall impression. It does lack some of the details in the pommel that you can see on the photo Chad posted above.
The Viceroy is a result of impressions from all these swords.

I have a catalogue from the Landesmuseum, but I cannot post pics from this as I still write from a borrowed computer. Perhaps someone elase has access to the same catalogue?

IF not I´ll try to return to this question later when I can post pics.

Best
Peter
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for responding Peter. I must say you created a wonderful synthesis in bringing those impression together. The Viceroy is truly an impressive design. Definitely the coolest sword I have seen anywhere, though I swear I have seen it before. Must be the sword of my dreams. lol

It would certainly be appreciated if you can post those pics when you are able, if you remember. Big Grin

Thanks,
Lance
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was noticing some of the design elements of the cross guard on the Munich sword look very similar to the Viceroy. I don't know if the munich served as inspiration or not, I assume it did, but its interesting in any case.

Lance

Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
I was noticing some of the design elements of the cross guard on the Munich sword look very similar to the Viceroy. I don't know if the munich served as inspiration or not, I assume it did, but its interesting in any case.

Lance

I would not be too surprised if that were so. Peter J. has remarked more than once that the Sture sword, the Munich sword and the Type XX.4 from Oakeshott's Records were probably related in some way, so the Munich sword might have been something he considered when doing a Type XX.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viceroy inspiration
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic