Scotia Metalworks S-hilt ? (Atlanta Blade Show)
I was looking thru Aaron Schnatterly's Atlanta Blade Show photos and noticed that Mike McRae baskethilt !

Did any of you attendees get any information about that piece ?

Thanks, Mac

Attachment: 34.07 KB
McRae baskethilt.jpg

Attachment: 45.74 KB
McRae baskethilt 2.jpg

Re: Scotia Metalworks S-hilt ? (Atlanta Blade Show)
Thomas McDonald wrote:
I was looking thru Aaron Schnatterly's Atlanta Blade Show photos and noticed that Mike McRae baskethilt !

Did any of you attendees get any information about that piece ?

I did talk with Mike for a while about the piece, Mac, but more about the story of how it came to be than statistics.

This is only his second sword. It felt really good in the hand, basket just about right for my hand, slight right-hand bias. It was for sale, but I don't think anyone picked it up.

Oh... here's an additional pic I had to do some editing to before uploading.

[ Linked Image ]
Thanks, Aaron !

Your pommel shot leads me to believe that the piece has a threaded pommel assembly ?

Thanks again for all your photos, Mac
You are most welcome, Mac!

I believe you are correct - I don't recall seeing any peen marks, and that picture probably would have turned up some if there were any. I looked at it full-size, and nothing else came to light...
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
You are most welcome, Mac!
I believe you are correct - I don't recall seeing any peen marks, and that picture probably would have turned up some if there were any. I looked at it full-size, and nothing else came to light...

Hi Aaron

Yeah, while it's possible to blend the peen and make it disappear, etc., it's the way those incised lines kinda run into the peen area that makes me think threaded !

Mac
I believe he said it was threaded. I know that he said that it didn't go all the way through.
Allen W wrote:
I believe he said it was threaded. I know that he said that it didn't go all the way through.

Thanks, Allen !

Looking at the photos again ....
I suppose it could also be just a pommel cap, brazed shut, with nut underneath ?
But the threaded pommel makes more sense, to me, weight/balence -wise !

Mac

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: