Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The AT1435; Anyone here own one? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: The AT1435; Anyone here own one?         Reply with quote

Like many of you there are sites I peruse often to see what's new and to salivate over things I want to acquire. One of these things is the AT1435. It is a large sword, but the proporstions and looks very much appeal to me. I know this sword would be a devastating cutter in anyone's hands. Does anyone here own one? I would very much like yoru impressions and/or review of the sword in general. Gus makes good stuff but I must admit, I haven't bought any of his newer stuff in a while. Here's a pic from Christian Fletcher's website for those who don't recognize the number.

Joel

Attachment: 10.61 KB
at1435.jpg

Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joel

There's only two of these out there right now, and I'm finishing a third one. I suspect the fact that they're a bit out of my ussual parameters by so much has a lot to do with it.......

This is one of two longswords I designed to be able to deal with the expectations some folks have of 14th century sword combat. This sword was made to handle fairly quick for its mass, to cut very well, yet still bash helmets on poles, and 55 gal steel barrels, and deliver much more damage than it receives in exchange.

Smaller people have done fairly well with this sword, because of the mass distribution. But really, its for the larger guy, it takes a larger guy to get the most out of its potential.

It was designed to have a lot of meat behind the edge, and still to have the edge angle to do well cutting softer targets. I have to be honest though, smaller folks, like some of the female folks that are into cutting, just can't get this sword up to enough velocity to really threaten water filled pop bottles or tatami mats.

And yes, Joel, I remember how large you are, and yes, this sword should be easy for you to handle. My comments about smaller folks have to do with the fact that there are better alternatives for some folks that might read this. I for instance, like the AT1433 for heavy use, and likely could do with something between that one and the 1435 {6ft, 180, fairly physical}

Retail on this, and some of the other longer heavier longswords I do is $520 at ATD........

swords are fun
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: The design is grogeous         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Gus. I think you are correct in that people may think of this sword as something gone awry from the Dawg. I would love to see a gracefully curving cross, but otherwise I think the overall shape of the balde is gorgeous. That shape just appeals to my sense of aesthetics. I think people should give this one a chance before writing it off as "heavy". My A&A English 2-hander is a tad over 5lbs, but you'd never know it by holding it. I am very anxious to cut with this sword and hopefully I'll have one by the time Aaron's roundtable comes. However, the dentist may have something to say about that (don't you hate the possibility of an impending root canal). I think the 1435 would be devastating on even a heavily armored opponent and still have enough of a point to find those openings in the maile or plate. I know I would have to work with the sword a while to get those pesky water-filled coke bottles ( edge alignment is key here), but it'd be well worth it. Hopefully, I'll be able to give everyone a full review before the summer is over.

Joel

P.S. Gus I got a 665 squat in just a belt and knee wraps two weeks ago; 700 will fall before the summer is over Big Grin
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! You've got to be a pretty big boy. . .

as far as the sword goes, I had a 1425 done up with a very similar blade aesthetically and it is very nice. I like the double fullers and they go quite a ways keeping the mass down while leaving plenty of metal behind the edges - I can see a guy like you (far beefier/stronger than my humble frame) getting a good amount of mileage out of this one. Just curious, if you do pick it up, I would like to know how forgiving it is in the cut - do you really need to hit the COP just right or does the design give you a wide margin for error?
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: The design is grogeous         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
P.S. Gus I got a 665 squat in just a belt and knee wraps two weeks ago; 700 will fall before the summer is over Big Grin

Knee wraps?! Bah! Never use 'em!

Why, if I wrapped my knees, I could squat...umm...maybe 530... Worried

Good work!

Big Grin
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: The design is gorgeous         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:
Joel Whitmore wrote:

Knee wraps?! Bah! Never use 'em!

Why, if I wrapped my knees, I could squat...umm...maybe 530... Worried

Good work!

Big Grin

530 is nothing to sneeze at Joe! Hey we could get some of those double-ply canvass lifting suits, wrap our thighs in teh newest super-thick nkee wraps and take on cavalry with sharpened barbells Laughing Out Loud Ona more serious note Joe, what's yoru preference in swords? Single-handed, bastard or two handed?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The AT1435; Anyone here own one?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic