Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Breastplate project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Breastplate project         Reply with quote

I recently fished one of those quasi-Hellenic looking breastplates out of Albion's moat. It arrived quickly and in good condition. However, it was clearly made for a man of more substantial girth than myself. It will require some cutting and bending, as well as the installation of new straps before I'll be able to wear it without looking like a small child trying on his father's armor in front of a mirror.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with the purchase and looking forward to the project, lest you think I'm complaining about a $70.00 piece of armor not arriving tailor-made for my body. My problem is that I'm mostly a maille man. This is the first piece of plate I've owned, much less tried to work on. I was wondering if any of you might have any suggestions as to what cutting tools and techniques would be most effective. I was thinking along the lines of a drill with a pumice wheel attatchment. Any other advice about a project like this would be most welcome.

Also, does anyone know what period a piece like this would be associated with? I've seen pictures of similar Greek breastplates in bronze, of course. Did anyone else use them, or were they purely a Classical thing?

Thanks!

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Chad Sonderberg

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suggest you pick up "Techniques of Modern Armour Reproduction" by Brian Price. Here is a link to a list of vendors:

http://www.campusi.com/bookFind/asp/bookFi...odId=1581600984

This book is considered the armourer's bible by most of the armouring community. It will teach you all the basics and answer most questions regarding tools, equipment, and techniques needed to properly construct or modify any type of armour.

Have fun!

A.C.S.

Lebend mit Ehre, Sterben Sie mit Dignität.
Matt G

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the piece you have is intended to be a version of a bell cuirass. According to Connolly, one was discovered at an 8th century BC grave in Argos (The heavily patinated cuirass on the left side of the image). He goes on to state that the bell cuirass was in use until the second half of the 6th century, when it "...was superseded by the linen corslet."

The other cuirass illustrated in the image is from Olympia and dated 525 BC.

Attachment: 112.13 KB
bellCuirass.jpg

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Breastplate project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic