Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Wallace Collection Ballock Dagger Set. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryan Kramer

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Arms and Armor Wallace Collection Ballock Dagger Set.         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any feedback about Arms and Armor's Wallace Collection Ballock Dagger (& Eating knife, Picker and Scabbard Set)? Thanks,

Bryan Kramer
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I placed an order with A&A and was on the phone with Craig today. I've had my eye on this knife set ever since it was introduced so it was a topic of discussion. One interesting thing is that the blades on this set are forged instead of being ground from stock, as is most of their product line. This feature makes this set even more interesting to me.

If you examine the Wallace Catalog photograph of the original you'll find that the A&A product is pretty spot-on.

I want one!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This set is very high on my list, as well. I also spoke with Craig about a week ago, getting some details lined out in preparation for picking up a few pieces.

My discussion on this piece primarily involved the grip and the scabbard (how it is patterned directly off of the original, and how complex it is to get the by-knife and pricker to fit properly). It was a bugger to get right, but now that it is... it is sweet.

As much as I want some other pieces, this one is really, really calling me. My influx of swords may just have to take a breather for a few pieces, starting right here. A month or so and this baby is probably mine.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
One interesting thing is that the blades on this set are forged instead of being ground from stock, as is most of their product line.

I'm curious, did Craig give any reason as to why they decided to forge the blade instead of grind it down from stock?
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Grind vs Forge         Reply with quote

Hey Jason

Its actually quicker and easier.

Craig
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Grind vs Forge         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hey Jason

Its actually quicker and easier.

Craig

Is that due to the size of the blade?
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Size and shape         Reply with quote

Its due to not only the size but the shape as well. The thing with this type of dagger is the back edge is usually quite thick and the by knife and pick are very three dimensional as well.

Best
Craig
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had the A&A copy for something like a year, so I've got a pretty good familiarity with it. It's a very nice set. I was at the Wallace in November and made a point of spending quite some time looking at the originals. The dagger & by-pieces are spot-on, needing perhaps a bit of finish on the wood, but that's trivial.

It's really a nice set.

(perfectionist mode)

What it needs to be truly spot-on is a bit of work is the sheath, which is nice, but constructed diferently, the leather is a bit thick, and it ought be tooled before it matched the original. I've sketches and have been meaning to get around to a making new one, but haven't found the time, or my notes. Wink
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Size and shape         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Its due to not only the size but the shape as well. The thing with this type of dagger is the back edge is usually quite thick and the by knife and pick are very three dimensional as well.

Best
Craig

Craig,

The shape of your rondel dagger is similar - is that usually forged or ground?
Interesting to get that bit of insight.

Thanks!
Gordon
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Rondel         Reply with quote

Hello Gordon

The rondel is stock removal as it is set up as more of a production piece and the blade is a good deal larger than the Ballock.

Best
Caig
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
I've had the A&A copy for something like a year, so I've got a pretty good familiarity with it. It's a very nice set. I was at the Wallace in November and made a point of spending quite some time looking at the originals. The dagger & by-pieces are spot-on, needing perhaps a bit of finish on the wood, but that's trivial.

It's really a nice set.

(perfectionist mode)

What it needs to be truly spot-on is a bit of work is the sheath, which is nice, but constructed diferently, the leather is a bit thick, and it ought be tooled before it matched the original. I've sketches and have been meaning to get around to a making new one, but haven't found the time, or my notes. Wink

Jeff ,

Would you be willing to share your sketches/notes? I'll been tinkering with a ballock dagger but have no idea what an appropriate scabbard might look like. I've only recently taken an interest in 15thC items. Leather work is more my thing than bladework. At least my dagger might look right in the sheath. Wink

Thanks in advance for any help you care to offer.

Kel

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Wallace Collection Ballock Dagger Set.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic