Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Poll: Favorite Albion sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I got to play a little bit with a Sovereign today. I have to say, though it didn't dislodge my other favorites, it really is a neat piece. It earned my respect, just with a little dry handling. I didn't cut with it, but feel it would be quite a vicious bugger...

This one's now on my "want one" list. Big Grin

Aaron

I had the same reaction. Not one of my favorites in pictures but loved it in person. It's a sword that really needs to be handled to be appreciated. It is now on my buy list as well.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Not one of my favorites in pictures but loved it in person. It's a sword that really needs to be handled to be appreciated. It is now on my buy list as well.

This has happened (in both directions, actually) more than once for me. I actually really didn't care for the Ritter or the Gaddhjalt in the pictures. I had the opportunity to handle both, and I totally changed my mind quickly. Picked up the Ritter, and hated to leave the Gaddhjalt behind.... but it will come eventually. Flip side - thought I would appreciate the Templar much more than the Norman to fill the Xa slot in my collection. Handled both, and in MY hand, the Templar felt wrong to me, with the Norman feeling more in tune. (I'm not saying the Templar sucks - actually, it's a nice piece, well done and all. Our personalities clashed...)

The website and catalog are nice, and I've been quite happy with the acquisitions I have made thus far. There is a lot to be said, though, for having an opportunity to handle these pieces in person - a friend's, at a Round Table, a show (like the one in Atlanta or Las Vegas), or at the shop in New Glarus.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favourite is the Ringeck and the Munisch...

Martin

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
This has happened (in both directions, actually) more than once for me. I actually really didn't care for the Ritter or the Gaddhjalt in the pictures. I had the opportunity to handle both, and I totally changed my mind quickly. Picked up the Ritter, and hated to leave the Gaddhjalt behind.... but it will come eventually. Flip side - thought I would appreciate the Templar much more than the Norman to fill the Xa slot in my collection. Handled both, and in MY hand, the Templar felt wrong to me, with the Norman feeling more in tune. (I'm not saying the Templar sucks - actually, it's a nice piece, well done and all. Our personalities clashed...)

The website and catalog are nice, and I've been quite happy with the acquisitions I have made thus far. There is a lot to be said, though, for having an opportunity to handle these pieces in person - a friend's, at a Round Table, a show (like the one in Atlanta or Las Vegas), or at the shop in New Glarus.

It really sucks to live in the Netherlands when it comes to 'pre-buy handling'. You always have to read reviews, comments by others, those kind of things to get an idea if you might like a certain sword. And even then it's still a risk. I was very lucky that the Knight really did it for me. However, I'd love you get a change every now and then to handle a sword, not just Albion, but my any other maker, and get an idea of what it's like.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
It really sucks to live in the Netherlands when it comes to 'pre-buy handling'. You always have to read reviews, comments by others, those kind of things to get an idea if you might like a certain sword. And even then it's still a risk. I was very lucky that the Knight really did it for me. However, I'd love you get a change every now and then to handle a sword, not just Albion, but my any other maker, and get an idea of what it's like.

I'm not sure there was much luck involved with the Knight... that one is so fundamentally right that I can't imagine many people picking it up and saying "nope... hate it." - doesn't mean it would be everyone's favorite. The Solingen is the same way...

I understand your frustration, Thomas... as far as I know, there is nowhere around that I can go and look at another decent sword from any maker, save a couple of collectors I know of but haven't ever met face to face. There is exactly 1 shop around that sells wallhangers, and I cringe every time I am nearby... I just want to go in there (peacefully) with my Knight, Regent, or Brescia and show all the folks inside what a sword is. Watch the patrons go Eek! and the owner go WTF?! and I get to Cool.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I'm not sure there was much luck involved with the Knight... that one is so fundamentally right that I can't imagine many people picking it up and saying "nope... hate it." - doesn't mean it would be everyone's favorite. The Solingen is the same way...

I understand your frustration, Thomas... as far as I know, there is nowhere around that I can go and look at another decent sword from any maker, save a couple of collectors I know of but haven't ever met face to face. There is exactly 1 shop around that sells wallhangers, and I cringe every time I am nearby... I just want to go in there (peacefully) with my Knight, Regent, or Brescia and show all the folks inside what a sword is. Watch the patrons go Eek! and the owner go WTF?! and I get to Cool.

Perhaps I can get Mike and the boys to 'loan' me some swords, and start roundtable events over here. Ofcourse, I would have to keep the swords for a looooong time, since it will take so long to get a lot of people to these events.

Yeah, that might work......

.................or not. Big Grin Big Grin
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

Perhaps I can get Mike and the boys to 'loan' me some swords, and start roundtable events over here.

Great idea!
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: My picks         Reply with quote

My favorite Albions are the two I own; my new Knight which is one of the most amazing handling swors I have ever held, and the Viceroy, which besides feeling really good in the hand is also the best looking sword Albion makes. At least in my humble opinion Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As much as I like my Sovereign I guess my Gaddjalt is my favourite by a small margin: Hard to explain why, maybe the simple lines and the Brazil nut pommel that just makes you think late Viking or First Crusade, and the strong blade presence.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
As much as I like my Sovereign I guess my Gaddjalt is my favourite by a small margin: Hard to explain why, maybe the simple lines and the Brazil nut pommel that just makes you think late Viking or First Crusade, and the strong blade presence.

Right now, I'm seriously contemplating the Gaddhjalt, or saving up again for something custom.

Desicions, desicions, desicions..... Big Grin
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Favorite: The Regent
Runner-up: The Duke
Almost Runner-up: The Sovereign
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right now, the Regent is the most popular sword among the greatest number of people interviewed, with the Svante a close second. ( I didn't count swords that were listed as a "close runner up" in the list of favourites).
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll add three more to my Albion faves: Fiore, Munich, and Brescia Spadona.

I can't wait for the day when I finally get to meet the Knight... Big Grin

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own the Gaddhjalt, Templar, Knight, Sovreign, and Baron. Soon will have the SoSM-Turin, Tritonia, and Ritter.
Of the swords I own, I'd pick the following favorites:
On the basis of handling--Knight. The Sovereign has a similar handiness, but 4 inches less reach. If I could only own one sword it would be the Knight without question. Baron is also an exceptional sword. Extremely lively for its size and intended purpose.
On the basis of aesthetics--Gaddhjalt and Sovreign, for different reasons. Sovereign has a lot going on with the double fullers, downcurved octagonal guard, recessed pommel, and aggressive profile taper. Gaddhjalt has a beautiful simplicity. I love the parabolic-taper blade and the hilt of simple yet subtle lines. The guard is really beautifully done for such a seemingly simple piece, and is hard to appreciate from a photo.
All that said, there isn't a sword I own that I don't appreciate for its designed purpose and its own looks. I look forward to comparing my upcoming swords.

Brian M

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Poll: Favorite Albion sword.
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: