Go to page 1, 2  Next

Poll: Favorite Oakeshott type?
I've been wondering with the recent polls, What is your favorite Oakeshott type? It would be best to narrow it down to one or 2 of your favorite type. (subtypes included!). You can choose a type or just a subtype.

My favorites are XVIa and XVIIIb. I love cut and thrust design!

I'll try and tally it all up in the end...
hhhhmmmmm..... difficult. Usually I say: the right tool for the right job.

However, just generally speaking.....

Type XII/XIIa and XVI/XVIa

The XII because of it's classic line, it's why I ordered an Albion Knight. And the XVI because it's such a general purpose sword, IMO.
Yep, type XVIa because it seems like it can do it all, plus it has a fuller. I also like type XIII and XIIIa for the brutal single-mindedness of their design.
Type XIX ----- also XVIIIb ------ and XIIa

Attachment: 19.8 KB
condottierej.jpg
Albion Condottiere XIX
XVIII&XVIII A-C.
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
hhhhmmmmm..... difficult. Usually I say: the right tool for the right job.

I agree, but if I have to narrow it down then it'll be XIII/XIIIa and XVIa
Definitely the XVIIIb or XVIIIe types for me.
Now this is a tough one. :\ I have to agree with the "right tool for the right job" idea. It's not so much a matter of personal taste as it is functionality. But if I had to pick I'd go with something from the type XVIII family. Cutting and thrusting at its finest.:D
Re: Poll: Favorite Oakeshott type?
Michael F. wrote:
I've been wondering with the recent polls, What is your favorite Oakeshott type? It would be best to narrow it down to one or 2 of your favorite type. (subtypes included!). You can choose a type or just a subtype.

This is a very difficult question...

For single-handers, I find XI's to be beautiful and fascinating. XIII would be a close second.

For longswords, I find it hard to beat XVIII sub-types, though some XVIa's have also attracted my eyes...

For true two-handers, I think the Danes got a great idea-- XVIIIe rocks. Though XX's can be pretty cool, too...
Types XVIII and XVIIIe for me.

Jeff Ross
Type XVa for me the long versions...

Martin
Personally I favor the type XII's and the type XVII's.
Like the rest of us, I don't have one particular favorite. For single-hand swords, I prefer Type XII (Albion's Knight). For longswords, it'll have to be either Type XVa or XVIIIa (Arms&Armor's Black Prince or Schloss Erbach). -Ted
Re: Poll: Favorite Oakeshott type?
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Michael F. wrote:

This is a very difficult question...

Easy question for me to answer - no preference. Each type came to be as a result of particular needs, and I find something to admire in each of the forms.
Oakshotte types XVII and XVIIIb. I have the Albion Crecy Grete ( not really a clean XVII type, but the closest available on the cheap at the time I ordered it) and a Munich on Order.
I like them all, but if I had to choose one it would be the Type X. No big surprise there. :lol:
X or XII for single-handers.

XIIa or XIIIa for the big guys.

I like the earlier stuff.
Type XII and XVIa.

I own a Laird, and one day I'll buy a Crecy (try not to think about it...)

David
It´s not so much how the look... They all look fine, it´s what you can do with a XVa ;9
I have a type XVIa on order and I'm negotating a XIIIa. As many have stated, I like the all-purpose nature of the XVIa. I also like the brutish nature of the minimal profile taper blade of the XIIIa.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: