Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How much for a custom? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Lance K.

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well really I have no interest in spending that kind of money on a material possession, especially one that serves no practical use, though it is certainly a joy to admire and a treasure to behold. I'm not really a collector of "stuff". My Viceroy is an outer symbol of the warrior within, but when I feel for the joy of admiration I step into the woods, and from microcosm through macrocosm and back my head is filled with the beauty of the wonders of the workings of the universe.

Looking at those swords is to me like looking at a nice car I could never own. Certainly one who looks at a Bentley or an Aston Martin is going to wonder at the price, and for good reason. After all the price is part of the beauty, a symbol of the energy and creative will behind the creation its self, whatever its expressed form may be. A $25,000 Bentley just doesn't seem so majestic. Anybody could own one, and there's not much fun in that.

In regards to the meaning of this post, it seems to me the query is in its self the research. I can spend 30 seconds by posting a query, then sit back and receive, or I can waste a hour of my time in research on something that really means absolutely nothing in the broader view of life. In all research one must discern its true value, so I'd rather spend the 30 seconds and let life do the work. Certainly it will be somebody’s interest and joy to deliver another to what they seek. I know I find no greater joy than enlightening others to the understanding life has given me of its eternal mysteries.

I can certainly say what I have received with that initial 30 second investment has returned to me many times what I would have received in an hour of research. What has come to the surface in this thread is quite valuable, and interesting indeed.

From the American heartland,
Lance
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kind of avoided this topic, but it finally hit a nerve.

Lance don't take this as an attack on yourself, this is just my feelings about the attitude you expressed in your last post. A good number of people here on this forum do have that attitude of why bother, someone will do it for me. The idea of hand feeding people information doesn't work well on academic forums like this though. If everyone has that mentality then all we are going to have is the same stale information being regurgitated ad nauseum. A good many people on here spend a great deal of time and money on research, but it can get very frustrating to share that and it not be appreciated or taken advantage of by people who aren't willing to put forth any effort of their own.

I really don't think that it would have taken an hour to get an idea of the price of custom smiths. The thing about it is that if you had taken an hour to research who knows what you might have found, you could have found a totally new sword type you didn't know about and love, a relatively unknown swordsmith, etc. The possibilities are endless, but you probably would have found what you were looking for and then some. If you don't take that step though, all you are going to get is what others are willing to give. It is all a matter of what others can teach you vs learning how to educate yourself.

Shane
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Lance don't take this as an attack on yourself, this is just my feelings about the attitude you expressed in your last post. A good number of people here on this forum do have that attitude of why bother, someone will do it for me. The idea of hand feeding people information doesn't work well on academic forums like this though. If everyone has that mentality then all we are going to have is the same stale information being regurgitated ad nauseum. A good many people on here spend a great deal of time and money on research, but it can get very frustrating to share that and it not be appreciated or taken advantage of by people who aren't willing to put forth any effort of their own.

I really don't think that it would have taken an hour to get an idea of the price of custom smiths. The thing about it is that if you had taken an hour to research who knows what you might have found, you could have found a totally new sword type you didn't know about and love, a relatively unknown swordsmith, etc. The possibilities are endless, but you probably would have found what you were looking for and then some. If you don't take that step though, all you are going to get is what others are willing to give. It is all a matter of what others can teach you vs learning how to educate yourself.

Shane, while I hope we can leave this issue entirely because it will spiral downwards further, I want to echo your sentiments exactly. The same nerve was hit over here and I had the same reaction as you. I think you've expressed yourself well and many of us will agree with you 100%.

With that, I hope it will bring forth consideration from all parties and we can stop this line of discussion, getting back to discussing something worthwhile.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am very pleased with what this thread has revealed. The question was simple though it's more than a simple question. The answer was simple though it's more than a simple answer. In any case I have found what I was looking for and then some.

More than a question this is a topic of discussion, a discussion which I have enjoyed learning from.

Fresh opinions are more valuable to me than old opinions, as they are given within a living context. The thread as it unfolds moment to moment is the living context, and I can glean much more from the surface of the words through that living context than I could ever hope to do by reading old posts. I learn through the people, not the words. Education of ones self is a living matter, not one of academics alone.

If the knowledge you hold is so valuable that it cannot simply be offered to a simple question, then keep it to your self. Mine will be freely given to all who ask.

As a sword newbe I have not a lot to offer other than my admiration of the sword. When I first came here I was invited to ask any questions I had, which I have done, and was told that’s why you're here.

Lance
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[Deleted upon reflection and comments by cooler heads.]

Last edited by Stephen S. Han on Sun 10 Jul, 2005 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

( Edited comments. ) Dropping the subject comments deleted: Getting back to more productive discussion for me.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sun 10 Jul, 2005 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan was subtle and polite. Let's try the other way................................

This line of discussion is neither relavent or beneficial to this site. Everyone needs to check their attitudes.

Any further pissing in this sandbox should be done via e-mail, not here.

Stop it

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I personally would like to thank those who contributed to this thread with ballpark figures and their other (more valuable?) concerns. I personally belong to the group who will someday own a custom but can only dream about it for now. With grad school expenses looming and my present financial status (too broke to pay for school, but too well off to get it paid for Mad Mad ) I can only dream and plan for a custom right now. It's nice to have confirmation of my educated guesses about the price and some of the other factors that relate to price of custom work.

I congratulate those of you who have by either will or circumstance managed to acquire one of the many fine custom works that have been posted on this forum from time to time. I hope to join you in the future. I plan for my first custom to commemorate my Graduate degree in a few years. Until that time I will content myself with researching the makers, cost and process of custom work.

Cheers,

P.S. - Any ideas on deciding which of the ~400 ideas I have Razz Big Grin Eek! Question

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Excellent present to yourself         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:

I congratulate those of you who have by either will or circumstance managed to acquire one of the many fine custom works that have been posted on this forum from time to time. I hope to join you in the future. I plan for my first custom to commemorate my Graduate degree in a few years. Until that time I will content myself with researching the makers, cost and process of custom work.

Cheers,

P.S. - Any ideas on deciding which of the ~400 ideas I have Razz Big Grin Eek! Question

Nate I understadn where you are coming from. I think a custom piece commemorating your graduate degree is an excellent present for yourself. I plan on doing the same thing for my brother when he earns his medieval history PhD. As a matter of fact I want to go through the knighting ceremony with his supervising professor (she's a cool woman).

Joel
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
Greetings all,

I personally would like to thank those who contributed to this thread with ballpark figures and their other (more valuable?) concerns. I personally belong to the group who will someday own a custom but can only dream about it for now. With grad school expenses looming and my present financial status (too broke to pay for school, but too well off to get it paid for Mad Mad ) I can only dream and plan for a custom right now. It's nice to have confirmation of my educated guesses about the price and some of the other factors that relate to price of custom work.

Cheers,

I had a long, pedantic advise all typed out and then, poof, lost it all. So here's a brief version. Stay flexible in your ideas. Something that catches your fancy today may not seem to pretty and shiny a few years from now. You're doing the right thing by researching, and keeping a breast of things.

I know I will sound like a broken record, but, if at all financially feasible, attend the custom shows. I realize how fortunate I am to have lived in Orange County California during the time when 2 major customs shows were held here. Sadly they are both gone now, but while there were here I made it a point to go. Also feel fortunate that I am mere 4 hour drive from Las Vegas, for the Las Vegas Classic in January. Don't know where your are, but I do know that there are shows in many major cities around the US. Blade Show West this year will be held in Oregon either September or October.

Good luck in your studies, and hope to see you obtain your custom sword soon.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Another thing to consider about pricing is that just because someone made a sword for a price the first time doesn't mean that they would EVER consider doing it again at that price. I've often agreed to do a project at a particular price and after having actually done it and realized how much effort and time were involved (not to mention material cost) swore I would NEVER do a similar project for that cheap a price again.

Isn't THIS the truth... I've taken a few hits before like that, Russ... still do upon occasion, but that's becoming much more rare, and when I do, I probably know up front, but do so anyway for some other reason.

Really? As I do more things I can gauge what stuff will cost based on what something else I've done before cost but how do you handle the one offs? My fantasy line is the one that gives me the most headaches. You never know how that particular odd request is going to turn out..

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Really? As I do more things I can gauge what stuff will cost based on what something else I've done before cost but how do you handle the one offs? My fantasy line is the one that gives me the most headaches. You never know how that particular odd request is going to turn out..

I've had the same experience... it's the stuff you haven't done before that bites you. It's that thing that looks so simple, but turns out to take a couple of hours, or that pattern that turns out just not quite right, and you have to start over. I work often enough on a barter system, too... I'll make something in trade for something I want or need that someone else has. I've taken a hit on that one a couple of times on a retail comparison, but knew it going in, and was alright with that. The piece I got in return was worth the effort I put in.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had the same experience... it's the stuff you haven't done before that bites you

So do you guys prefer the stuff you havent done before, Question
i've got a habit of ordering things that makers havent done a version of for one reason or another and always find when i look at the item i receive,i know there is normally alot more -in- than what i've paid for.although when you say to the artisan as you like or just roughly along these lines it makes the hit that little less painfull,,i hope Big Grin
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
i've got a habit of ordering things that makers havent done a version of for one reason or another and always find when i look at the item i receive,i know there is normally alot more -in- than what i've paid for.although when you say to the artisan as you like or just roughly along these lines it makes the hit that little less painfull,,i hope Big Grin

I like a challenge. I actually wouldn't make a piece "just like the one you made for...". Something will be different. What I really don't like, though, is fighting for hours to days with something I am unfamiliar with, that I thought would be simple since it's similar to what I had done before. For example... I'm doing some work with brass right now... figured it would be pretty much like steel in how it behaves. I figured pretty much wrong... hate it. Is that going to transfer to the gent this piece is being made for? No. I'm learning quite a bit, and will adjust a lot of things in the future. Maybe my methods will change. Maybe my cost for this type of work will go up. Hell, for that matter, I might just never work with brass again.

I'm rambling... I suppose most craftspeople like to expand and challenge themselves a bit and continue to grow.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Lee O'Hagan wrote:

I like a challenge. I actually wouldn't make a piece "just like the one you made for...". Something will be different. What I really don't like, though, is fighting for hours to days with something I am unfamiliar with, that I thought would be simple since it's similar to what I had done before. For example... I'm doing some work with brass right now... figured it would be pretty much like steel in how it behaves. I figured pretty much wrong... hate it. Is that going to transfer to the gent this piece is being made for? No. I'm learning quite a bit, and will adjust a lot of things in the future. Maybe my methods will change. Maybe my cost for this type of work will go up. Hell, for that matter, I might just never work with brass again.

I'm rambling... I suppose most craftspeople like to expand and challenge themselves a bit and continue to grow.

This is great! We have a very productive and well thought out thread going here.

Speaking from a buyer's point of view, I personally want something that is unique. That might put me in a minority, as I have seen tendencies on the 'net by people who want something exactly like what they've seen made by a maker. As for me, if I am getting a custom piece, I want it to be different from anything else. To me, there's no point to getting a custom if it's going to be part of a "production line." Pretention, perhaps, but that's the way I like it. There's a recognition factor involved, too. You can look at at Vince Evans made Baskethilt and immediately be able to say, "hey, that's Thomas McDonald's baskethilt." You can look at a different Vince Evans made baskethilt and say, "hey, that's Thomas McDonald's baskethilt" And you can look at yet a nother Vince Evans made baskethilt and say, "hey, that's Thomas..." Laughing Out Loud

Jokes aside, I think the part of the beauty of a custom piece is that it's a collaborative effort, even when I do not have any real explicit input (which I am no longer allowed anyway, since my ideas have proven to be dumb). Vince Evans knows me enough that the length of the blade of the swords are perfect for ME. Besides, I always give specific instructions, "do what you think is best." Never failed me.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Speaking from a buyer's point of view, I personally want something that is unique. That might put me in a minority...

... I think the part of the beauty of a custom piece is that it's a collaborative effort, even when I do not have any real explicit input (which I am no longer allowed anyway, since my ideas have proven to be dumb). Vince Evans knows me enough that the length of the blade of the swords are perfect for ME. Besides, I always give specific instructions, "do what you think is best." Never failed me.

Stephen, you would be a prime example of a client who is my personal favorite type to work with. Here's a general idea, a little hashing it out, and the freedom to do what I am capable of and what I have found to be the best, either through experience or through research. As the project progresses, I like to send pics or have a little discussion - keep the client involved. As I get busier, I'd still like to keep this up, but it gets to a "I can either talk about it, or I can do it" situation if things get out of balance. Something will settle in comfortably. Of course, if I have questions or concerns, I always discuss it. I have also turned projects down, often suggesting someone else who might be better suited to the task, or, honestly, if I just couldn't get excited about it. If I am going to take a project on, I have to be able to get into it - if a craftsman doesn't care about the piece, it won't have that special something when it's done... if it ever gets done at all.

I have a couple of custom pieces as well. It's the understanding of how they came to be, the discussion, the being involved somehow that makes them so neat to me... and the by-hand craftsmanship is really something as well.

... and hey, I think I've seen Thomas' VE Basket hilt. It's over there... no, wait... it's over here... or, is this one it? Lucky bugger... wonderful collection. One of these days, Vince... Big Grin

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For custom work I usually spend a lot of time researching and thinking what I want before I start the process with a maker.

I generally know at this point what the outline of blade, guard, pommel should look like when the project is a sword.

Where I would depend the most on the maker is suggesting improvements to the design that are very difficult to figure out on paper that affect handling and subtleties that can only be worked out actually making the piece such as distal taper, balance, and historic accuracy if it is not a pure fantasy piece.

There should be some give and take as far as design is concerned. ( And a learning curve for me. )

Before actual work on the project starts I may make minor changes or improvements to the design: Hopefully not driving the maker to distraction i.e. being a pest. Razz Laughing Out Loud ( See my Langue de Boeuf custom project topic for as an example of my modifying / refining the design graphics. )

Now my background is in graphic arts so I tend to want something close to my ideas in the finished product but I realize that the maker will not be happy unless he finds the project interesting to make: Likes my design, I hope!

This is my approach for something I have been making / designing in my head for quite some time before I contact the possible maker for a quote and to see if he is willing to make it.

THE OPPOSITE APPROACH:

But I can see where liking the style of work of a maker / artist I would only give minimal indication of what I want or like of his previous work and just give the go-ahead after getting a ballpark figure as to price and delivery time: In a case like this TOO much input would mean NOT being surprised by what he would make ! As you can't be surprised if you design it yourself and you would not get a product reflecting the unique creativity of the maker.

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My cyber ears are burning ..... ;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas;

Great looking sword and a very high quality photograph of it: I'm impressed by both. Cool

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
I've had the same experience... it's the stuff you haven't done before that bites you

Absolutely! It was a real privilege to be able to work on that Gladius scabbard for you Lee, and it was a lot of fun because I'd never done anything like those inlays before. I don't mind doing something "similar" from time to time though, because chances are pretty good that I figured out some things the first time through that I really want to be able to apply again in the future. For me personally since I'm not doing this for a living if it's fun it's never painful even if I sometimes short myself on the money.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How much for a custom?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: