Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grip color question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
David Lannon

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Grip color question         Reply with quote

I just Ordered the Doge from Albion as my 7th free sword from them. I saw Chads Mercenary with the blue grip and had an idea. How about the dark blue grip with black lines like the Ox-Blood color. I emailed Albion and Mike said they could do it.

At the last moment I chickened out and ordered a Magenta grip instead. So, what do you think, stay with Magenta or go with the "Blue-Blood" grip?

Cheers
Dave lannon

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd think that one needs something dark, dark, dark... I've never seen a sword like that without a dark grip. Black would be my personal choice.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm the anti-black-grip guy - really don't care for black as a general rule. I have it on my Brescia, and it's fine there - shows the detail of the riser quite well. It may have worked in some of the other colors equally well, had it been an option. I have it on the Landgraf - don't like it at all, but still really do like the sword. I would have liked to see it in a dark brown or deep red/brown. All of the rest of my pieces are anything but black.

Having said all this, I may actually have to jump into Nathan's court here - something black or near black just feels right to me on this piece. A DARK blue with black highlights would turn it that almost black. A lighter blue, and it may actually look a bit hokey, in my opinion.

Oh, and isn't that a sweet deal about the 6&1 from Albion for those of us fortunate few who can manage? Applied mine to the Svante... made an unobtainable piece fall within reach.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have hell with colors (Red Color Defect), so I just do black on eveything to keep it simple.

I know that helps you not a bit, but it does make matching accessories and cloting a bit easier; at least for me.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Black, always black.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,
Albion's colors (no offense to them) don't always look like you expect, or like they look in photos.
I ordered a custom blue grip once and it came out looking black. So I would stay away from that color.
Here's my personal experience of what the grip colors look like:

Albion Color=What it looks like in person:
Black=Black (duh!)
Blue=Black
Dark Brown=Black
Oxblood=Medium Brown with very slight reddish tint
Red=Darkish Rusty Red. Very nice, actually.

I haven't gotten the Magenta or Campaign Brown yet, so I can't tell you about them. Of the colors I have, I would actually pick the Red for the Doge. I think that would look quite nice.

Regards,
Brian M
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion's grip colors do vary quite a bit and have caused some frustration on my end (ask Mike). The blue you see above is pretty reflective of what mine looks like in real life now, assuming you have the same video card, monitor, and monitor settings I do. Happy It came darker than what is shown, however. I lightened it up with by rubbing it with a lightly-alcohol-soaked rag. Then I used a leather conditioner/sealer. The risers remain darker, like it came, since I didn't get them very well, but I like the look. A blue grip on a Templar I saw was basically black unless you held it in direct bright sunlight.

I have Oxblood on my Sovereign. I ordered it before the old Oxblood formula became Magenta, and the new Oxblood is much more brown. Not what I was expecting (I wanted the old oxblood), but I've grown to like it very much. The magenta grip on the Mercenary, which also looks pretty true to real life on my setup, was exactly what I was expecting, though: a rich red with dark "highlights."

The dark brown is pretty dark these days, from what I saw in Atlanta. Even the light brown ("campaign worn") is less bright and mottled looking than it used to be.

Don't expect an exact color when your order. Albion does say "Grip colors may vary slightly due to the authentic processes and natural materials used" but they tend to vary very much. They probably could benefit from a stronger disclaimer about color variations, but that's just my opinion.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suggest "Dark Plum".

It's a deep, dark purple that's almost black, but with a purple hue that is simply breathtaking next to a blued guard and pommel.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I picked black for my Fiore; I'm not a big fan of brown grips except only on certain swords (like Viking swords).

In my opinion, Dave, definitely black for the Doge (but that's just me). Happy

Hey, you know what would be cool?? Have a link on each NextGen page where you can see what any sword would look like with any of the offered grip colors (or with a fire-blued hilt)! Though I do think Chad and Brian are correct about how the grip colors vary. I'm just thinking out loud. Idea

I know green isn't offered as a grip color, but there wouldn't be a more suitable color for the Kern or Gallowglass! -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I know green isn't offered as a grip color, but there wouldn't be a more suitable color for the Kern or Gallowglass!

Neither is blue, nor is purple, but both have been done for a small additional fee. I saw a Viceroy done in green - really nice piece.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
David Lannon

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: what to do         Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys.....Aaron, I am also in the "anti black grip" camp. I like a little color. (although I saw pics of a yellow grip once and just shuddered. The more I think about this particular sword however I do think DARK would be more appropriate. Maybe a very dark blue or that dark plumb that was mentioned . Anyone got a pic of the Plum?

Nathan, how about a blued pommel an guard? You are the resident expert on these types, were any blued?

thanks, I love making these hard decisions Laughing Out Loud

Dave Lannon[/i]

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a basic black-and-steel kind of guy but am building up the courage to try something different. Several items that I have in mind I'm thinking of going oxblood or brown. It really depends on the sword, the era of the sword and the overall aesthetic you're going for.

I've seen Chad's blue Regent in person and can say that it is very pretty but darker than I expected. But that is probably a good thing as a lighter blue would just be weird and too "fantasy". I'd be very interested in seeing how a plum or "blue-blood" color would turn out.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: what to do         Reply with quote

David Lannon wrote:
thanks for the input guys.....Aaron, I am also in the "anti black grip" camp. I like a little color. (although I saw pics of a yellow grip once and just shuddered. The more I think about this particular sword however I do think DARK would be more appropriate.

Yellow... ugh. I think I'd rather see pea green first, or even orange. I'm sure there might be a sword out there that would look good that way, but I don't own one. I love all the guys out at Albion like brothers. Mike keeps threatening to send me one with a pink grip - and you know what? That bunch up there will probably do it one of these days, too. Mike, it just better not be my Svante - don't even go there, bubba!

The more I think of a piece like the Doge (and the other ones like it), the more I feel a deep color is what's needed there. The only deviation I feel I might be comfortable with personally would be a brilliant true red, but I like my red-hued grips.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only have one Albion (yet;)), with a light-brown grip. Not what I would call light-brown myself, but it looks great.

Although for the Doge it would probably look... well, a bit common. If you could make sure that the guys over at Albion won't make it to dark, a deep Royal Blue would look fantastic on the Doge, IMO.

Have you guys ever heard of the Senseo coffee machines?? They come in different colors, including a very nice Royal Blue. In normal daylight, it's indeed a darker blue. Sometimes, from a certain angle, it's a bit blue/purple, and in a dark corner it looks black.

IMO, a fantastic color for a more 'stately' sword like the Doge.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
If you could make sure that the guys over at Albion won't make it too dark, a deep Royal Blue would look fantastic on the Doge, IMO.

Even asking more specifically may not help, since color shades can be very subjective and since many of their dyes are hand-mixed. I asked Mike for a "bright blue" on the Regent and got a very dark blue.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Even asking more specifically may not help, since color shades can be very subjective and since many of their dyes are hand-mixed. I asked Mike for a "bright blue" on the Regent and got a very dark blue.

Even different sections of the same hide will take dye or stain at a different rate. If you were to dye a whole hide at once with the same batch of dye, there might still be variation across the deal. Different hides could vary even more significantly.

An even nastier proposition is to request a scabbard to exactly match the grip color. I recently tried to do this (myself), and was fairly successful in coming close... an exact match, though? Nope.

Such is the nature of hand-crafted pieces - we have to accept some variation. I've never been disappointed - a little shrug now and then, perhaps, but still quite happy.

Another thing to keep in mind - if you actually handle the pieces regularly, the grips will pick up grime and oils from your hands... they will darken and wear in over time. If I were home, I could show a very striking example of this with my Squire. Though still in excellent shape, remains perfectly secure, and looks quite nice, the grip has obvioiusly seen use. A before and after picture is pretty eye-opening.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
A before and after picture is pretty eye-opening.

You wouldn't happen to have one, would you?? I'd love to see that. Reason being, you always hear people saying that a blade is not indestructible, but the blade isn't the only piece of the sword. Wear and tear shots of grips and hilts are facinating, IMO.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
You wouldn't happen to have one, would you?? I'd love to see that. Reason being, you always hear people saying that a blade is not indestructible, but the blade isn't the only piece of the sword. Wear and tear shots of grips and hilts are facinating, IMO.

Not a very clear "after" picture - lighting sucks - was raining that day, and I had to take it indoors with very poor ambient light. Still, I think it still offers something useful. This is the same sword. Albion had it for about a year and a half, maybe longer, before I nabbed it. It has been handled and handled and handled. The grip is still in outstanding physical shape, but has obviously picked up a different, much darker color from skin oils, sword-cleaning oils, sweat, and whatever else got on there. It's actually this particular grip that made me have to have THIS sword - not just a Squire, but THIS Squire.

Before:

After (with the Brescia and Ritter):

The grip feels different than the others, too... like a broken-in pair of tennis shoes, it's comfortable.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

Not a very clear "after" picture - lighting sucks - was raining that day, and I had to take it indoors with very poor ambient light. Still, I think it still offers something useful. This is the same sword. Albion had it for about a year and a half, maybe longer, before I nabbed it. It has been handled and handled and handled. The grip is still in outstanding physical shape, but has obviously picked up a different, much darker color from skin oils, sword-cleaning oils, sweat, and whatever else got on there. It's actually this particular grip that made me have to have THIS sword - not just a Squire, but THIS Squire.

The grip feels different than the others, too... like a broken-in pair of tennis shoes, it's comfortable.

Thanks. Although not very noticable, I understand what you mean, I can feel the difference on the grip of my Atrim. Also leather over cord.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Thanks. Although not very noticable, I understand what you mean, I can feel the difference on the grip of my Atrim. Also leather over cord.

If the lighting was right, the difference is significant - looks a lot darker, and even polished in places. It's really pretty cool. There's a possibility that we will be evacuating for Hurricane Emily - if I make it back home this week, I'll try to remember to snag a good picture. Feel free to remind me... sometimes that nasty case of CRS (that's Can't Remember Sh..) kicks in... Hey, I don't feel so bad, though... Einstein, when asked for his phone number, walked over to a phone book and looked it up. In response to the very odd look he got, he shrugged and said: "I have better things to do with my brain."

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grip color question
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: