Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grip color question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Thanks. Although not very noticable, I understand what you mean, I can feel the difference on the grip of my Atrim. Also leather over cord.

If the lighting was right, the difference is significant - looks a lot darker, and even polished in places. It's really pretty cool. There's a possibility that we will be evacuating for Hurricane Emily - if I make it back home this week, I'll try to remember to snag a good picture. Feel free to remind me... sometimes that nasty case of CRS (that's Can't Remember Sh..) kicks in... Hey, I don't feel so bad, though... Einstein, when asked for his phone number, walked over to a phone book and looked it up. In response to the very odd look he got, he shrugged and said: "I have better things to do with my brain."

HAHAHA, That Einstein qoute is fantastic. Big Grin Only a genius would say that. Happy

Oh, and good luck facing Emily. I hope everything stays cool on your end. Still, good luck.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Thanks. Although not very noticable, I understand what you mean, I can feel the difference on the grip of my Atrim. Also leather over cord.

If the lighting was right, the difference is significant - looks a lot darker, and even polished in places. It's really pretty cool. There's a possibility that we will be evacuating for Hurricane Emily - if I make it back home this week, I'll try to remember to snag a good picture. Feel free to remind me... sometimes that nasty case of CRS (that's Can't Remember Sh..) kicks in... Hey, I don't feel so bad, though... Einstein, when asked for his phone number, walked over to a phone book and looked it up. In response to the very odd look he got, he shrugged and said: "I have better things to do with my brain."

If I can talk as a customer for a moment myself...

My antiqued Knight started off with a "campaign worn" grip that was a light tan with dark brown highlights... it has now aged to an even "nut brown" color (some of you may have seen it in person at the Atlanta Blade Show).

As a result, like Aaron's comment about his Squire, it has made the sword even more special to me -- the grip is "aged by my hand" as it were...

May Emily pass you by, Aaron!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been wondering about the grip colors a bit since I'm probably going to get an albion by mid fall. Would anybody have pic. of a "Dark brown" grip? It's a toss-up for me between light and dark brown. I'd appreciate if anyone could give me an example of one or even both.

David- I think the Doge would look pretty cool with the "blue-blood" grip, it's something out of the ordinary, which might suite this piece better because it's a but unusual looking itself. But if you want to keep the magenta it will most likely come out looking quite nice.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't really see the Doge with blued furniture. In my opinion it needs to be left bare so that the different angles and facets of the hilt are shown to their highest extreme. Anything that would subdue this is a mistake IMHO. The grip should also be dark so that it contrasts nicely with the furniture. If not black then a dark purple or plumb would be my choice.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
I've been wondering about the grip colors a bit since I'm probably going to get an albion by mid fall. Would anybody have pic. of a "Dark brown" grip? It's a toss-up for me between light and dark brown. I'd appreciate if anyone could give me an example of one or even both.

Dark brown... hmm... lately, examples I have seen look like anything from Hershey's Milk Chocolate - a true brown, to Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate - a very deep brown. I don't have one of these... yet.

Light brown/campaign worn can vary a lot, too... but I like the effect quite a lot. It gives the sword an older aesthetic to it, and wears quite well the more you handle it, as Howy and I have mentioned. I got to see his Knight in Atlanta - same deal as my Squire - it has picked up a personality, a "realness" to it.

Here's a rundown of my experience with grips... I have 7 Albion pieces, and none of the grips look like the others. My Brescia is black, of course, and very well done. The Landgraf is black as well, but is shiny, a tad inky. The Regent is true red with black "highlights" - I love it, but it's pretty in-your-face bold, so it may be too much for some. The Knight and Ritter are both also "red" but both are darker than the Regent. The Knight is more a brownish-red - really a pretty effect. The Squire, well... there's a pic of that earlier in the thread. My Vinland is a nutmeg splotchy campaign-worn grip - looks a bit aged - really nice on this piece, but I would have hated it on something like the Landgraf or Regent. The Hersir is coming soon - another black... not sure exactly what that will turn out to be.

I guess the two things I might offer as general advice....

1) expect some variation - it's not like computerized paint matching. The variations turn out pretty nice. I've only seen one grip that I didn't like at all - but something was wrong with either the leather or the dye. (edit: They didn't sell that one, either...)
2) whatever you do get, it's likely to darken if you handle it over time. Black will eventually shine up a little bit.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about historic grip colours? There are few leather grips that survived compared to the amount of sword. But what colours do we know of and which seem to have been most common? though it may be hard to say, as even on swords in good condition the leather should have aged more or less during the centuries.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Grip color question
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: