Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another of Scott Wilson's creations Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Another of Scott Wilson's creations         Reply with quote

Recieved my custom rapier from Darkwood a short while ago. This is the first chance I've had to post some pictures. Pardon the picture quality but my regular camera is out for repairs. Scott Wilson did an excellent job of capturing the look and overall flavor of the original. I really couldn't be more pleased by the out come. Cool

Attachment: 66.55 KB
fktmp1221_0004.jpg

Attachment: 71.63 KB
fktmp1230_0023.jpg

Attachment: 78.55 KB
fktmp1235_0035.jpg

Attachment: 78.54 KB
fktmp1236_0037.jpg

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice.

I wish he would post some pictures of some of his more elaborate work on his site.

I need more money to play with. Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice James. I would not mind having another sword from Scott....maybe a Pappenheimer or the English basket-hilt. Gotta save up some funds first...

Congrats!

Bill G.
(the other one)

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man, sure is great to see some of these newer items from Scott. Not only that, I'm glad to see rapiers and other compound hilts get some attention lately.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking piece, James. Which blade did you use? The Del Tin? And which original inspired this piece?
James Holczer

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Very nice looking piece, James. Which blade did you use? The Del Tin? And which original inspired this piece?

It's a Darkwood blade, acording to my original discussions with Scott it was supposed to be a Darkwood spada d'lato. Scott suggested this type of blade because of my preference for a wider heavier type of rapier blade. According to Scott the Darkwood spada d'lato is designed to be more like a slimmed down version of a side sword blade. The blade is about 1.125" wide after the 2" long ricasso and is 38.5" long. It also has less taper than the Del Tin bated rapier blade and it also gives up a little flexibility. As for the original, check out the comparison.

Attachment: 30.07 KB
normal_88478d[1].jpg

Attachment: 78.54 KB
fktmp1236_0037.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you think he changed the proportions of the pommel so drastically from the original because the blade's mass differs so much between each piece?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
James Holczer

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Do you think he changed the proportions of the pommel so drastically from the original because the blade's mass differs so much between each piece?

Possibly, the longer slimmer pommel does seem to flow better with the less massive blade. But the main reason he went with this version of the pommel was to reduce costs. According to Scott, if he was to reproduce an exact copy of the original pommel there would have been an enormous amount of hand filing involved and I got the impression that he wouldn't have been comfortable with the out come. Even though Scott’s version of the original is less dramatic it still fits in with the overall appearance and feel of the rapier.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Holczer wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Possibly, the longer slimmer pommel does seem to flow better with the less massive blade. But the main reason he went with this version of the pommel was to reduce costs. According to Scott, if he was to reproduce an exact copy of the original pommel there would have been an enormous amount of hand filing involved and I got the impression that he wouldn't have been comfortable with the out come. Even though Scott’s version of the original is less dramatic it still fits in with the overall appearance and feel of the rapier.

I'm not certain I'd call it less dramatic: it's pretty sweet either way! I'm glad to see that antique used as inspiration on a replica, as it's one of my favorites. Quite nice, for sure.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another of Scott Wilson's creations
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic