Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Stage fencer needs advice about best blunt sword choice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Paul Binns in particular caught my eye, thanks Russ, but I do not find the link on medieval swords on his site, although he refers to it... strange.

Hi Damien,

Paul does all kinds of swords, but is best known probably for his viking and medieval weapons. He would make whatever you wished and his re enactment swords come with a 3mm blunt edge as as standard . His web page is still under construction I think, but ask him, I am certain that he will have pictures of some medieval swords that he has done. Happy

Regards as ever,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderfull world of hiting people with metal sticks!

I currently own a Lutel singlehanded blunt, wich I have used as my primary weapon for about four years. It now looks like, well, it has been used twice a week for four years.

The Lutels look good(Good finish, nice, broad blades), and comes with a very nice scabbard. On the down side, the single handed swords are to front heavy, and the steel is a bit to soft, and the pommels needs tightening every now and then. If you get a lutel with a non-barrel pommel, make sure its one of the ones with a nut on the end of the pommel, so that you can re-tighten it without having to worry about a a of-alignment pommel.

The Armour Class swords are the "standard issue" for our club. They have decent steel, and are reasonably cheap. They don't come with a scabbard, though. The thinest ones have decent weight, but look a bit to puny.

The Bins swords are the BMW's of the north european reenactment combat community. They are made for combat, are rock solid, and reasonably light. He does however specialize on viking weapons.

Pavel Moc swords are nice, somewhat lighter than lutel. I don't have much experience with them, though...

Then, of course, there are the real cheap stuff, like Paul Chen/Hanweii practical swords. The practical medevial sword is ok for stage combat, comes with a scabard, and is cheap... I hate to sayy this, but it might be the best value for money for your use...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Damien Pinel

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know Hanweii, these are the last ones my school boughts. They are quite nice, and do well the job. We bought 6 or 8 of those. One friend even bought one for himself, it broke in its very first blows, not even on a sword, but on a wood shield. All the others, apart from the ever-regluing leather on the handle, very low quality, all the others are quite satisfactory.

I want something else, still usable, yet original.

Czech makers seem to appear from everywhere, this is incredible... and very nice too Happy. I do not understand why I only knew Jiri Krondak until a few days ago.

Nice work on scabbards from the last address you gave indeed. They sure know how to work steel and leather.

Damien Pinel
Balestra
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled several blunt Pavel Moc swords, including the Violet from Björn's review and I like them.
They're real sturdy and look and feel like swords. Affordable too.
Nice for live steel stuff, both for stage combat and sparring.
Slightly too flexible for me to consider them 'real' swords (I'm spoiled), but many people actually like that in a blunt.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Stage fencer needs advice about best blunt sword choice
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: