Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:

What examples are there of the bronze fittings with copper wire? Do they have the sheet application over the top with the lines cut in like the Ballinderry and Kilmainham?

You got me there. I just like the look. I thought the copper would contrast well with the silicone bronze.

I'm talking about the wire used to hold the 2-piece pommel together, not an inlay or anything...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Like many others here, I'd like Albion to replicate the Oakeshott Records Xa.1 for their next Museum Line entry.

Maybe they should fill in the few typology gaps that remain - An XIa, a XIII, an XVIIIc. No XXI's or XXII's - nobody likes them much.

Okay...

... As someone who has never read "Records", what is this "Xa.1" everybody has it for?

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

Okay...

... As someone who has never read "Records", what is this "Xa.1" everybody has it for?

Here's the picture from some content here on this site... the only one that is currently being produced is by Raven Armouries with like a 2.5 year wait and a large bill...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just as a by the by I'd vote for that one too... in fact I'll buy it from anyone that can do it justice...
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't think of three particular swords I'd like to see them make, but I can think of three types of swords I'd love to see with Albion badges on them: Smallswords/rapiers, Middle-eastern (shamshirs, scimitars, and the like), and Celtic.

May happen one day; who knows? Good things come to those who wait. Wink

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Matt G

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The next sword I'd like to see from the good folks at Albion is one that Peter is already familiar with ...
1. Falcata

More about it here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=208

2. Greek and Persian bronze swords and daggers.

Dagger gold Achaemenid Dynasty VI century BC, Iran

3. Greek Xiphos

If they don't get around to producing these swords anytime soon, it's ok Laughing Out Loud , there is no shortage of things to buy from Albion!

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see the Next Gen Flanged Mace. The flanged mace has always been my favorite weapon. I bet Alion could easily create the most visually stunning mace on the market, inspired by only the best.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmmm.....If I I could magically snap my fingers and........Aw, heck thats easy : #1- Highland two handed Claymore....the classic style. #2- West Highland hand and a half with spoon quillons. #3- Lowland two hander, the big boy. As long as we're dreaming, throw in a clamshell Claymore and a big ol' Irish two hander. Some dirks, rondels and classic Bowies would be killer, too. But, as has already been stated, Albion is up to their eyeballs in models now. I can't wait to just see the new stuff they really ARE coming out with! ( But I do hope a Highland Claymore is one of those 'secrets' that everyone is talking about!!! ) Love them Scotties! mcm.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

Okay...

Here's the picture from some content here on this site... the only one that is currently being produced is by Raven Armouries with like a 2.5 year wait and a large bill...

Okay...

So...

... why does half the forum like it so much?

Personally, I think it looks a little awkward...

... but, to each his own, I suppose! Happy

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy 1. "Cheiftain of Oss" sword from this Topic

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

Okay...

So...

Well to be honest that picture doesn't really do it justice. I've seen others that put it in better perspective. The cross section on that sword is truly impressive and personally I think it looks outstanding... Still shopping for someone to make it for me...

Allen W

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ, I thought you had one commisioned through A&A.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
[
Okay...
So...

The picture in Records of the Medieval Sword gives you a much clearer look at the original - simple, but with a subtle beauty to it. Oakeshott, in his description called it the finest sword he ever saw and couldn't imagine that anyone ever made a better one.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen W wrote:
Russ, I thought you had one commisioned through A&A.

Well I'd hoped so but due to one thing and another I'm not sure that's going to happen I'm still waiting on word from Craig.

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
[
Okay...
So...

The picture in Records of the Medieval Sword gives you a much clearer look at the original - simple, but with a subtle beauty to it. Oakeshott, in his description called it the finest sword he ever saw and couldn't imagine that anyone ever made a better one.

Famous last words by Oakeshott, anyone Happy I agree that this sword is fine, complex and beautiful in its own way. But to proclaim that it is the finest sword ever, and that no one could have made a better one is an exaggeration on the part of Oakeshott to say the least. Or maybe this really is the uber sword Happy No single wepon can possibly capture all of the beauty of the medieval sword. The variety of form, shape, design and function is too great. I hope these do not turn to be my famous last words Eek!

What do I want to see from Albion.......Nothing specific except that I want to see the Museum line expand as fast as the next gen line. I can dream, can't I? Happy Now if I could only afford the Museum line swords at a rate of more than one per year Wink

Alexi
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really do think that the fine folks at Albion have a lot on their plates. However in the interest of constructive suggestions, here are my requests. Wink Big Grin Cool

1. Swiss Saber (straight or curved)
2. Early eastern sword (straight blade)
3. Shamshir, Kilij, or Polish Saber (hey the lady v is out, why not a historical saber? Wink Big Grin )

I'm at work or I'd post pics. maybe tonight.

Cheers,

P.S. Please wait until I finish grad school so that I can actually afford them Cry Eek! Big Grin Big Grin Razz.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
[
Okay...
So...

Check out Bjorn's site. He has a very detailed review and better pics--even with sword in hand! Happy
Go to his Virtual Museum, and it is the one listed as Sword, c. 1300. You can see the hollow grinding better on the hilt shot.
http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/swords.htm

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:

Check out Bjorn's site. He has a very detailed review and better pics--even with sword in hand! Happy
Go to his Virtual Museum, and it is the one listed as Sword, c. 1300. You can see the hollow grinding better on the hilt shot.
http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/swords.htm

Even though I realize it's functional, that swell in the blade toward the guard still throws off the lines of the blade, in my humble opinion...

That photograph makes the hilt fittings look less bulbous, though, which is a very good thing...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

Okay...

I believe Paul Chen's Hanwei William Marshall sword (and the practical version) is based upon this fine sword...

http://www.swordsofhonor.com/sirwimaswfos.html

I also wondered at Oakeshott's words about this sword. The lines of the blade seemed off and the hilt looked very clumsy. However, from and design point of view the blade was fascinating to me. The hollowground flats and the deep fuller would reduce the weight of the blade but still give sufficient mass just behind the cutting edge. The decreasing profile taper produces a blade that could thrust. And the solid hexagonal tip added mass to help strengthen and stabilize the thrusting tip. So while the overall sword might not be the "best sword imaginable" the blade was interesting in this respect.

I have a future project in mind for a historical excalibur sword... a roman spatha with strong migration era spatha tendencies. I really like the long tapered hexagonal Roman spatha blades (not to different in profile from the William Marshall sword).

http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextge...spatha.htm

When I found a really good deal on the folded swedish powdered steel version of the Paul Chen's William Marshall I bought it to use the blade in my excalibur design... The hilt components were loose and made of over polished stainless steel but the blade was amazing, not only in looks but how it handled. It was razor sharp and quick. The little added weight at the tip seemed to pull the blade through the cut. I decided to take a short easy half swing at the box the sword came in. I wanted to see how far the sword would cut into the box. Well I missed the box completely. The sword hit the back of an office chair that had my thick wool sports coat over it. The tip put a clean three inch cut through my coat including the silk lining and a deep gash in the back of the hard plastic of the chair. My coat still bears the scar. I felt stupid for missing the box and ruining my best sport coat. But was amazed at how effortlessly the blade had done its work. I was even more amazed when I looked at the box and saw the it had a four inch razor sharp cut through the corner. So I had not missed the box. The cut was so smooth I did not feel it, nor the the box seem to move.

Anyway... in the future I hope to get it hilted up like a very late Roman spatha with enough migration and celtic elements to seem like the "real" excalibur.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My choices:

1. The Lutzen Rapier
Carried by Gustavus Adolphus in his final and fatal charge in the battle of Lutzen and currently preserved in the exihibition at the Royal armoury in Stockholm this is IMHO a fascinating weapon that just begs to be recreated in the Museum Line.
Not only is it a weapon with a connection to a truly momentous historical event, it is an interestign desing in it's own right. Large (totla lenght116,2 centimeters , the same size as an albion Sempach!) featurign a hollowed groudn blade and an uncommon hilt which has a "half-basket" which only covers one side the hand, the other side has only a simple thumbring it's one of the most distinctive rapiers connected with the 30 years war I've seen. Of course I'm a bit obessive about the original thanks to 10+ years pent researching Gustavus and his wars. The main problem is getting examine and document the original sicne it's part of the permanent display and the staff might be more than a little reluctant to let outsiders handle such an important piece.

2. A Dutch-Swedish cavalry sword of the 30 years war
From the 1620's onwards at least this type was a common sight in the hands of ordinary troopers in both the Dutch and Swedish armies. Orgianting in the Netherlands it soon became associated with Sweden and became orgiin of Swedens first "home-made" cavalry swords. Recreations of more showy rapiers and especialy "Pappenheimers" are farily common on the market today but the swords used by most of the rank and file in both the cavalry and infantry are almost entirely absent with a few exceptions. A NextGen sword recreating the dutch-swedish style would be a most welcome addition ot those of us interested in 17th Century arms.

3. A 15th Century falchion

Attachment: 87.25 KB
Gustavus_rapier.jpg
The Lutzen Rapier

Attachment: 71.08 KB
dutch_swedish_sword2.jpg
Dutch-Swedish Sword

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: