Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Helms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Viking Helms         Reply with quote

I was browsing the web and stumbled on this Polish site This sows several helm of peculiar construction that I have not seen before. One of the interesting characteristics that jumped at me were the thin, curved guard plates on the sides and the back on several of the helms. Are all of these to be considered Viking helms? I know that only the Gjermundbu hems is positively identified as Viking. I assume the rest are too early to be considered Viking, and are therefore migration period.

Enjoy,

Alexi

Gjermungbu helm 10th century?

Ulltuna helmet 7-8th century?

Vaslgrade 8.

Vaslgrade 7

Vaslgrade 6

Vaslgrade 5

Vendel I. 7th century

Vendel XII. 7th century

Vendel XIV. 7th century
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are Vendel culture helms. Many of which were found in the Valsgarde finds.

They're proto-viking culture.

The Gjermunbu helm exhibits features that seem to be hold overs from these earlier designs. It may, in fact, be older than the other grave goods with which it was found.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Viking Helms         Reply with quote

Thanks for tossing these out for us to look at, Alexi! Yeah, they're Vendel. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's something I thought was a bit interesting... First is the Vaslgrade 8 helm, the second is a Valentine Armouries reproduction ($750 in 16g with liner and brass rivets, according to the site). Not exactly the same helm, but pretty close.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
William Hurst

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny story about that Valsgarde 8 helm. I have a book called The Vikings by Tony Allan (certainly not even close to the best Viking book, but it has nice pictures), and under his description of the helmet he says that the mail is actually a beard to scare off enemies. Well, I guess it's not that funny, but I found it amusing. Razz
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Hurst wrote:
... under his description of the helmet he says that the mail is actually a beard to scare off enemies. Well, I guess it's not that funny, but I found it amusing. Razz

I'd probably be more concerned with the big axe, spear, or sword, but that's just me. Razz That and where there's one berserk bearded freak monster (said in the most loving way, I swear!), there are probably more. Worried

Looking at this a different way, though... if people had not seen armoured opponents, and had heard tales of ruthless monsters, the masquerade may have worked.

I've seen a modern version of this, in all seriousness. While I was in the FD, we used to give fire safety talks at schools. It was interesting to see little kids' reactions when a fully dressed fireman with his SCBA on, making funny noises, carrying an axe, and smelling like whatever burned recently came crawling into the room. They were scared half to death. Take the man out of his "armour" though, and he's just like daddy. After that, the kids aren't so scared anymore - they know who's inside.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder though if the look of the "beard" mail drape is intentional or if this is the result of few centuries of decomposition of the mail. Some of the coifs in the Wisby grave look very similar. I guess in the Wisby cases the soldiers were trying to scare the opponents with their "scary hair-do" coifs Eek!

Alexi
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Based on this picture alone, I'm guessing this is a product of corrosion rather than the armourer.

Looks like a typical 4:1 with an occasional expansion ring mixed in there.

Could be wrong, though...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the subject of the Valsgarde 8 helmet, this is a picture from H. R. Robinson's "Oriental Armour", it is a line drawing of a statue of a Sassanid Persian king:

And these are a pair of Turkish or Iranian helmets from the late 12th-early 14th century:

That style of helmet, including the "eyebrows", seems to have been popular over a long period of time over a very wide area.
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexei,

As has been said already they are vendal helmets , migration period ca. 7th century. Beautiful helmets though ! Happy The Gjermundby helmet is considered the only true viking helm found to date. However, one might say that some of the Polish and Rus helmets , the Chernikov helmet for example, could also be considered as viking, though all the extant examples are , I believe, dated from the 11th century, whereas the Gjermundby helmet dates to about 950 AD. (The Rus vikings were in existence until about 1500 in some areas !).

Regards as ever,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Helms
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic