Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > questions about the Next Generation Crecy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: questions about the Next Generation Crecy         Reply with quote

Well, I'm 99.999% sure I'm going to order the Next Gen. Crecy. Happy Before I do, I was wondering If anyone who owns or has an opinion on the Crecy might spread some light on the piece. Also, If any owner has any pictures they can share, that would be much appreciated. Also, does anyone any pictures of a an Albion that has a "Dark Brown" grip? I'm still debating over this and oxblood, which I have seen many examples of. I'm just glad it's on sale!

Thanks!
Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about the Next Generation Crecy         Reply with quote

Michael,
The NG Crecy has only just started shipping, so owner opinions may be scarce for a few days. However, I handled the prototype in Atlanta and have it on-hand right now for my Albion Round Table next weekend.

The dark brown grip I saw in Atlanta was very dark. The current oxblood is kind of a mahogany and is darker than it used to be.

The Crecy has a nice classic look to it. It handles nicely as well. It seems to be a jack-of-all-trades design: fine for battle against various forms of defenses (mail or plate), and still nimble enough for civilian use.

At $450 (the current sale price, as you well know Happy ), it's a hell of a bargain. It's a bargain at its regular price, too.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What chad said. I agree 100%. It's a really impressive sword for a design that isn't particularly unique in any single aspect.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where I have a first gen crecy, I must say that it fills "that niche" nicely. Had I to do it again, I would go for a Count above all else, or a Regent... I dunno, just something more unique. Its a great looking sword and I love mine, but it sort of blends in too much Wink I made a vow to never buy two swords with the same looking hilts again. In fact, if I ever buy a Count, I'll have to move out my Crecy.. Worried
Thats why I am aiming for a Discerner. Because then its in a different catagory of my collection: Childhood dreams
Not in my "multi-era arms representation like thingy" catagory Big Grin

Oh, how we justify our vices... Cool

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Where I have a first gen crecy, I must say that it fills "that niche" nicely. Had I to do it again, I would go for a Count above all else, or a Regent... I dunno, just something more unique. Its a great looking sword and I love mine, but it sort of blends in too much Wink I made a vow to never buy two swords with the same looking hilts again. In fact, if I ever buy a Count, I'll have to move out my Crecy.. Worried
Thats why I am aiming for a Discerner. Because then its in a different catagory of my collection: Childhood dreams
Not in my "multi-era arms representation like thingy" catagory Big Grin

I don't understand. The Count and Crecy are completely different swords. They're nothing alike. Are you thinking of the Steward? The Count is the one with the faceted pommel and "carved" decorative elements midway on the cross-guard.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the First Generation Crecy and Next Generation Crecy are also two very, very, very different swords on all accounts.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, I was speaking from a general astetics point of view. I'll have to go recheck the steward.... doesn't sound familiar... As for the first/next gen, again I am coming from a overall looks POV not so much in the exact handling and typology. Consider it an outsiders perspective. An opinion, not a comparison. Big Grin I'm not experienced enough to try one of those Wink
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F,

The Dark Brown color is nearly indistinguishable from Black. Only in full sunlight does it really look like a (very) dark brown.
If I were you I'd go for either the Oxblood or the Light Brown. The Oxblood is quite nice and is more of a darkish-brown with slight reddish hints. The latest examples of Light Brown seem to be a pretty nice medium-chocolate brown, not as mottled as they look on Albion's website.

Brian M
William Hurst

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You really can't go wrong with Oxblood. I have Oxblood on my Vinland, and I have not regretted my choice for a single second. I think it would go really well with the Crecy. Happy
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
At $450 (the current sale price, as you well know ), it's a hell of a bargain. It's a bargain at its regular price, too.

So the price on the website ($580) is correct?!? Exclamation Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Idea Question I could have sworn that it was a typo ($850 seemed so much more likely). I even sent Mike an e-mail to double check. I'm going to buy me a Crecy (and I had forgotten about the sale when I decided that)! I don't know what to say... oh, wait, yes I do: Yipee, Yipee, Yipee!!

-Grey

Help, my knees have gone weak. Laughing Out Loud

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Landgraf with a dark brown grip. I don't think it looks black, certainly not in decent light. If someone lived in a gloomy old castle, perhaps..... But in typical 21st Century light, it looks exactly like its name, dark brown. Taken outdoors in daylight, it has a beautiful, rich, chocolate-brown color with black mottling interspersed throughout.
Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is how Patrick Kelly described the NG Crecy in another thread
Patrick Kelly wrote:
My impressions and opinions on the ones I either own or have handled:
(...)
Crecy: like the Knight this is a great one. I won't be buying one myself since I have the longsword section of my collection pretty well covered, but lovers of the H&H genre should give this one a serious look. Like the Knight, the Crecy is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades kind of design. It will fit well into a variety of styles and techniques, and it's size is well suited for the slight of build as well as the bigger folk. This is an ideal general purpose longsword and I predict that it will be one of Albions most popular models. This is a huge amount of sword for the price.
(...)

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4534&start=0
The description certainly made me even more eager to get my hands on the Crecy I ordered which have yet to arrive.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
The Dark Brown color is nearly indistinguishable from Black. Only in full sunlight does it really look like a (very) dark brown.

Robert B. Allison wrote:
I recently purchased a Landgraf with a dark brown grip. I don't think it looks black, certainly not in decent light. If someone lived in a gloomy old castle, perhaps..... But in typical 21st Century light, it looks exactly like its name, dark brown. Taken outdoors in daylight, it has a beautiful, rich, chocolate-brown color with black mottling interspersed throughout.

Perhaps the difference in perception between these two opinions, is the natural variability in the processes that Albion uses:
"Grip colors may vary slightly due to the authentic processes and natural materials used"
W.H. Kalfsbeek

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Argh , never knew waiting could be so hard. The crecy will be my first real sword. Ordered it in oxblood and I'm having it dressed by Fletcher.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
So the price on the website ($580) is correct?!? Exclamation Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Idea Question I could have sworn that it was a typo ($850 seemed so much more likely).

Yeah, $580, which makes the sale price $480. Sorry about the typo.

Happy

ChadA

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W.H. Kalfsbeek wrote:
Argh , never knew waiting could be so hard. The crecy will be my first real sword. Ordered it in oxblood and I'm having it dressed by Fletcher.

Really? I thought Mr. Fletcher only did the ones shown on his site. Silly me. I shall have to contact him.

As for the Crecy, I've wanted it since I saw the first sketch. Fortunately, I only have to wait a little longer. It won't be my first real sword, but it will be my first Albion. Some people I know would call that a contradictory statement. Happy In any event, I love the hand-and-a-half family in general as well as the "jack of all trades" feel of the Crecy. It just looks archetypal, in the Carl Jung sense of the word. I can't wait to get my hands on one and see what it can do against some tatami. Let us know how you like yours when you get it.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
This is how Patrick Kelly described the NG Crecy in another thread
Patrick Kelly wrote:
My impressions and opinions on the ones I either own or have handled:
(...)
Crecy: like the Knight this is a great one. I won't be buying one myself since I have the longsword section of my collection pretty well covered, but lovers of the H&H genre should give this one a serious look. Like the Knight, the Crecy is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades kind of design. It will fit well into a variety of styles and techniques, and it's size is well suited for the slight of build as well as the bigger folk. This is an ideal general purpose longsword and I predict that it will be one of Albions most popular models. This is a huge amount of sword for the price.
(...)

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4534&start=0
The description certainly made me even more eager to get my hands on the Crecy I ordered which have yet to arrive.

Thank you for that Daniel. It saves me from rewriting it!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Michael F.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, that's it, she's ordered... I finally chose oxblood for the grip color. I've just ordered it 5 minutes ago and already the wait is killing me! Alot of people I know have encouraged me to get something more "useful" for the lot of money. C'mon, how much more useful can you get! Happy When I get it i'll be sure to write my thoughts about it (with pics and measurements!) I'm very exited, this will be my first Albion, And hopefully not the last. Big Grin
"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Alot of people I know have encouraged me to get something more "useful" for the lot of money.

Granted, there are times when we need to act like grown-ups. Still.....................................

If you walk through life with that kind of philosophy you'll wind up looking back on a life that was very practical, very steady, and very boring!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Well, that's it, she's ordered... I finally chose oxblood for the grip color. I've just ordered it 5 minutes ago and already the wait is killing me! Alot of people I know have encouraged me to get something more "useful" for the lot of money. C'mon, how much more useful can you get! Happy When I get it i'll be sure to write my thoughts about it (with pics and measurements!) I'm very exited, this will be my first Albion, And hopefully not the last. Big Grin

Congrats Michael! She'll look good with an oxblood grip, that's for sure. As a few have mentioned, the oxblood will resemble brown with a burgundy-ish hue; I've seen it on a Sovereign. Remember the FirstGeneration Acre? I had one that I ordered with oxblood and at the time it was a brighter, richer red (not Ferrari red, but more 'candy-apple' red).

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I had one that I ordered with oxblood and at the time it was a brighter, richer red (not Ferrari red, but more 'candy-apple' red).

Magenta, from what I understand, is pretty close to the old oxblood, like your FG. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > questions about the Next Generation Crecy
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic