Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Building a pole arm Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Building a pole arm         Reply with quote

Some of the recent pole arm discussions here had gotten me thinking, Sean had talked about poplar dowels and the various merits as well as the availability of things like oak, ash and hickory were all talked about at greater or lesser lengths.

So ever since I've been meaning to go down to my local sawmill and see if the guy that runs it had any ash of suitable size laying around that I could make a pole out of. Turns out he didn't. Mostly he cuts his stuff into 1by X size boards for various applications. I extracted a promise from him to saw me up some suitable pieces the next time he gets some ash in hand. However, I still wanted to play with making a pole for a pole arm so I bought a 1 X 8 X 7' board. Now, I think I'm boing to rip that board into appropriate widths and laminate some of the strips produced together so that I can have a pole of the correct diameter. Technically I think it will be sound since typically good modern glues are stronger then wood with they dry. Historically it's probably not spot on since I've never heard of laminate construction poles. So I'm thinking I should get a relatively inexpensive pole arm head to attach my pole too... anyone got any suggestions? I'm thinking Arms and Armor but wondering what other quality alternatives there might be maybe at greatly reduced rates... Soo... anyone?
I'm thinking something glaive like but...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FWIW: I completed construction of my new boar spear this weekend and tested it against a hardwood stump, both to seat the head before riveting and to get a sense of how the weapon would "hit". Using both hands, I repeatedly stabbed the stump as hard as I could. The 6' long, 1.25" diameter poplar haft flexed slightly. So, it's a stiff haft, but will flex a bit against an immovable object. It seems to me to be a very strong mounting.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
FWIW: I completed construction of my new boar spear this weekend and tested it against a hardwood stump, both to seat the head before riveting and to get a sense of how the weapon would "hit". Using both hands, I repeatedly stabbed the stump as hard as I could. The 6' long, 1.25" diameter poplar haft flexed slightly. So, it's a stiff haft, but will flex a bit against an immovable object. It seems to me to be a very strong mounting.

Pictures man, we need pictures... Happy

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They're coming, don't worry! But I still have the tassle and staining/antiquing of the haft left to do. Maybe by the end of the week....I finally found my model!
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just noticed that MRL has put that lanceolate spearhead back into its Weekly Specials bin. Still only $30 shipped. It's a nice, solid piece. Perfect for a 16th c. boar spear or for several other periods as well. I mounted mine, including careful shaping of the haft and riveting the head, in about 30 min. Fun, fast project. Takes a decent edge with a few minutes of file work. You could certainly do worse for your first polearm project. As an experienced scabbard maker, you have the tools and skills to add inletted langets (steel strips from the metal bin at Lowe's?), and that would be a very cool and authentic-looking polearm project. Not to mention cheap.
-Sean

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that idea! I've been looking at Arms and Armor and By the sword.... I really like the idea of a glaive, but I've got to sell some scabbards to pay for that piece... 30 dollars could come out of my milk money...
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
30 dollars could come out of my milk money...

But then your bones will be so brittle you won't be able to lift the finished piece! Oh, the bitter irony!

-Sean

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean / Russ;

Craig at A & A gave me a 10 to 12 week estimate on delivery on my Langue de boeuf custom job: WOO HOO Razz Question

For custom work the price is quite reasonnable so for that " special one " nobody makes a quality custom pole arm won't cost you much more than an A & A or Albion sword: Why hesitate to spend the same amount on a polearm that you wouldn't think twice about if it was a sword Eek! Laughing Out Loud

I think I should start a, support / anti-polearm-discrimination, group: Polearm lovers have rights too Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That was quick! Now granted it doesn't look like a terribly complicated piece but still...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

Yes it does have a fairly simple outline but it should have some subtlely complex hollow grinding and a thick mid blade ridge making it more complicated that just cutting out an outline and adding a socket for the shaft.

You might enjoy a nice Glaive with a main sharp edge and the raised but blunter false edge, with languettes and a rondel guard. Maybe 2 1/2" to 3" wide at the base comming to a nice pointy point at a 20" to 30" blade lenght.

HUMMMMMM: Don't get me started on my SECOND custom polearm " GULP " Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...You might enjoy a nice Glaive ... Maybe 2 1/2" to 3" wide at the base comming to a nice pointy point at a 20" to 30" blade length.

Eek! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I like the sound of that. Sword on a stick.

One of these days.....

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the sound of that glaive too! Now what's this about your second custom polearm?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooh, Russ....make one of these!

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=jeddart

-Sean

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

Well not yet on a second custom polearm but since I was sort of daydreaming what I thought you might like it started to sound like a good idea until TEMPORARY SANITY kicked in.

But it does sound good as a " Photoshop " design project in the mean time. ( I'll post for you it if I draw it. )

Oh, and teasing you was irresistible. Razz :loll:

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Ooh, Russ....make one of these!

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=jeddart

Hmmm I do like that thing! Is that really a jeddart staff? I've seen something else called that...

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Oh, and teasing you was irresistible. Razz :loll:

Big Grin Just for the record Jean... you SUCK! Happy

Dennis Nikitenko

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,

If you like the idea of a glaive, how about this (not so) little armor-crackin' customer? It's not super-cheap, but it looks well worth the price and comes unmounted.

http://www.lutel.cz/20018.htm

http://www.lutel.cz/index2e.htm (item 20018)

I've always liked sword-on-a-stick polearms, but most of the production ones are, for the lack of a better word, very "flat" looking, as if they were stamped out of a piece of sheet metal, welded to a piece of steel pipe, and sharpened. This one looks very lively and three-dimensional. I'm actually thinking more and more about buying it myself, making a haft for it, and mounting it, since I have full access to a my sensei's woodworking shop AND I know my he has lots of extra ash boards... Big Grin
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny Russ, how often we think alike. I just ordered an A&A custom glaive a few weeks ago.
Something much like the one below

Attachment: 94.01 KB
Glaives.JPG

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have to be kidding me! First you get that custom XX that looks like something I would have designed myself and then this... Are you sure you aren't my evil twin or something? Come to think of it I might be the evil twin...

Anyway I put the polearm construction on hold for a brief period. The thought occurred to me that I really ought to have the head in hand so that I could make the pole fit whatever it is. Should have some scabbard money rolling in this week so that should cover it. Then I just need to see what the boys at A&A have on hand (I'm liking that Italian Bill) or maybe get something from By the sword...

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my new toy, referred to above. $40 USD + sweat. Details here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

Attachment: 83.62 KB
boar.jpg

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Building a pole arm
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: