Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Repro. Rapier Opinions Wanted.... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Repro. Rapier Opinions Wanted....         Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I am looking to expand my collection by one rapier in the near future Cool . While I greatly enjoy my Mercenary, I wanted to add a sword I know a little more about using to my collection. Thus I have been looking at web sites and all that kind of thing (thank you myArmoury links page). After my preliminary research I have come to the conclusion that ...... I don't have a conclusion Eek! Razz Laughing Out Loud . So, I wanted to ask the community (owners especially) for info on the rapiers they have seen/used/owned. What I want is a functional, sharp, and historically accurate production rapier. I'd be especially interested in hearing about Armour class, vladamir Cervenka, and Atrim rapiers as I haven't heard much about them. I'm not intent on one style but I prefer the pappenheimer/cup/plate-filled style for their extra hand protection.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
What I want is a functional, sharp, and historically accurate production rapier.

If that's your criteria you need look no further than Arms & Armor. In my opinion they make the best rapiers on the production market, pretty darned nice custom jobs too. I've owned several and regret selling off most of them.

www.arms-n-armor.com

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a high-end, off-the-shelf rapier, I too would go to A&A. For me, the Cavalier Rapier or Town Guard Sword, both c&t blades rather than slender, thrust-only. There are some lovely needles at A&A as well. If you can find one, MRL's old German rapier is a sweet thrusting weapon based on a documented original.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned rapiers from Lutel and Armour Class and I've handled quite a few from A&A, MRL/Windlass, and Deltin so my experience is a bit more limited than some. Based on what I've been exposed to, I'm most impressed with the work from A&A and Lutel.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second, third or fourth (whatever) the votes for Arms and Armor. My favorite of theirs that I've personally handled is the German rapier.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my previous post I completely ignored your desire for hand protection. Have you considered the new Pappenheimer-style rapier from CASI? Its sharp blade is interchangeable with CASI's practice blade. Ditto for the matching main gauche. Sounds like you might want to do some training/sparring with your rapier, so this might be a good way to go. For the price of an A&A you could get the CASI, main gauche and practice blades for both, with enough cash left to get a couple of years worth of self-tanning lotion to help you hide the bruises.

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/SH2206.JPG

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One other place looking into would be Scott Wilson @ Darkwood Armory.
Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
In my previous post I completely ignored your desire for hand protection. Have you considered the new Pappenheimer-style rapier from CASI? Its sharp blade is interchangeable with CASI's practice blade. Ditto for the matching main gauche. Sounds like you might want to do some training/sparring with your rapier, so this might be a good way to go. For the price of an A&A you could get the CASI, main gauche and practice blades for both, with enough cash left to get a couple of years worth of self-tanning lotion to help you hide the bruises.

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/SH2206.JPG

I was fairly impressed by this one at the Atlanta Blade Show. While I don't put in it in the same quality range as A&A (not even close really) it did seem to be a good value for the listed price. I did find the blade to be a bit too short and wippy, but for the price I liked it quite a bit.

Nate C.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Eek!

Let's see.... that's votes for A&A, A&A, Lutel, A&A aaannd, A&A Big Grin . Thanks for all the feedback.

I definitely have been drooling over the A&A site (thankfully I have the extended "drool protection" policy for my computer). I kind of figured I'd get this kind of response, but I s\wanted to hear if there were any other opinions out there.

On the subject of lutel, has anyone besides Joe handled/owned one and if so, what were your impressions? I notice in the pictures on the Lutel site that the hilts look quite nice but the blades look a little "blocky" as if they are for re-enactment use. Does anyone know one way or the other on that?

Thanks for your continued input.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate, I'll throw in my support for A&A too. Although I haven't handled a LOT of the repops, I've handled enough originals and A&A's to know that the A&A product is pretty darned close to the originals... and if you fudge-factor for the differences in makers, eras, etc, then they're probably pretty much dead on the money.

The only A&A I have is the Dresden, which isn't exactly a rapier, more of a hand-and-a-half that someone stuffed a complex rapier guard on and said "Viola! A Horseman's Sword!", for which it's just dandy. But the Musketeer is VERY nice too, and from my handling of it, and several originals, it's a very nice reproduction in all ways.

So... if your budget allows, by all means go with A&A. But if not, then I would expect that the advice given by the gentlemen above would be quite worth taking. Especially the tanning lotion.... Big Grin

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It truly depends what you want this rapier for and what you intend to do with it. If your looking for a top of the line production rapier I would have to agree that A&A should be your front runner. But if you're looking to really fence with it and don't want to worry about getting a few scratches and nicks in it then take a hard look at Darkwood. Scott Wilson's line of standard pieces are in that catagory. Darkwood is also capable of producing custom work and much finer examples. It all boils down to what you want to spend and what you want it to do.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Holczer wrote:
It truly depends what you want this rapier for and what you intend to do with it. If your looking for a top of the line production rapier I would have to agree that A&A should be your front runner. But if you're looking to really fence with it and don't want to worry about getting a few scratches and nicks in it then take a hard look at Darkwood. Scott Wilson's line of standard pieces are in that catagory. Darkwood is also capable of producing custom work and much finer examples. It all boils down to what you want to spend and what you want it to do.

We're going off of Nate's stated criteria of ....
Quote:
What I want is a functional, sharp, and historically accurate production rapier.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
On the subject of lutel, has anyone besides Joe handled/owned one and if so, what were your impressions? I notice in the pictures on the Lutel site that the hilts look quite nice but the blades look a little "blocky" as if they are for re-enactment use. Does anyone know one way or the other on that?

All things equal I'd go with A&A. Good company, good product and if you're close to Bristol or Minn Ren something you can handle before buying. However there have been times when currency exchange makes Lutle a very good value. Lutel's standard blade is blunt but they will sharpen on request. Like most vendors they are somewhat flexible if you ask.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You've gotten most of the advice I would have given already about A&A but seeing as no one has spoken up about Lutel, I'll throw my personal feelings in.

I own a Lutel 14006 (http://www.lutel.cz/14006.htm) and like it very much. I prefer the blade with its blunt edge as what I do with it is more practice work and sparring than any cutting work or the like. The blade is much more flexible than the A&A blades I have handled (Milanese, Dresden). I can bend my blade to 90 degrees with relative ease.

I love my piece, but I also bought when the dollar was strong and in a group order to help out with shipping to the states. I personally like to handle weapons before I buy, and if you are in the area of the Bristol Ren Faire, you can handle both makers weapons. A&A has a booth right by where my group is and Mayhawke Armoury sells Lutel wares.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings once more.

I'm sensing a definite trend here Big Grin . Arms & Armor must have worked very hard indeed to gain it's reputation. I definitely like what pictures I've seen of their work. And I have been leaning towards A&A for a while. However, as an engineer, I like to get as much info as possible (some say too much Confused ) before committing that kind of money.

I am now stuck in the quandary of which one to get Razz Big Grin Big Grin (oh, sweet agony Laughing Out Loud ). I'd be especially interested in hearing anyone's personal experiences/opinions of the Gustav Vasa, Dresden, Cup hilt, and Italian 3 ring rapiers. Comments on their handling, strong/weak points and general usage (ie C&T, thrust only, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the info.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
I am now stuck in the quandary of which one to get Razz Big Grin Big Grin (oh, sweet agony Laughing Out Loud ). I'd be especially interested in hearing anyone's personal experiences/opinions of the Gustav Vasa, Dresden, Cup hilt, and Italian 3 ring rapiers. Comments on their handling, strong/weak points and general usage (ie C&T, thrust only, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Our Very Own Nathan Robinson would definitely be the man for that information! Much of my personal experience with these above named swords was with his collection, so I should hope that he'll weigh in on this with more of his insights.

The Dresden is a Big Boy, and if you intend to do any period sparring, even if it's against pool noodles, keep in mind that it's a horseman's sword first and formost. It's a handful. It's got a good thrust of course, but slow due to the weight. It's unlikely to be batted away easily though. The cut is impressive as befits such a large sword, though due to the complex guard not nearly as responsive in that role as a good Bastard sword of the same size. But I'll tell you, it turns cabbage into cole slaw like nobody's business when playing at "heads" from the saddle!

The Musketeer (though you didn't mention it, I've played fairly extensively with one) is of similar length and guard proportions, though with a much slimmer blade, and therefore more suitable for foot use. The Italian 3-ring is sweet, as is the Gustav Vasa... I'll tell you, if they put a selection of these swords in front of me and said "Okay, you can take ONE!" I'd be there for weeks trying to decide! So I share your pain... Big Grin

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can find reviews of the Gustav and Italian here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/reviews.html

Nate C.

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
You can find reviews of the Gustav and Italian here:

Ideed you can. I have actually read both of those (re-read them after you brought them up). I also read this thread by Gordon about the dresden rapier. I just wondered if anyone else had any experience with any of these.

Thanks for your continued input.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Repro. Rapier Opinions Wanted....
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic