Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How about some spears!
I want to know when Vince is coming out with some more spears. I was blown away by the one on his table in Atlanta this year. A spearhead might even be in my price range :D
Re: How about some spears!
Darwin Todd wrote:
I want to know when Vince is coming out with some more spears. I was blown away by the one on his table in Atlanta this year. A spearhead might even be in my price range :D

Agreed. I loved both of the ones he made before Atlanta. We need to see more high quality non-sword stuff like that.
Just gorgeous. I'd imagine however, that, as nice as the photographs are, one has to actually handle the sword, and inspect the fine details to really appreciate the man's skill....sigh perhaps one day I'll have the opportunity. A beautiful sword.
Very Nice work! I never liked These kind of swords but this is an exception. I love this grip and horn grips in general...But those poor animals! The pattern welding is very interesting. I particularly like the pommel detail. Does anyone know what construction method Vince uses?
Michael F. wrote:
Does anyone know what construction method Vince uses?

Hi Michael

Construction method in what respect ?

Mac
If you're refering to how the hilt components are secured to the blade............................

If Vince has used the historic method, and I'm sure he has, the end of the tang has been peened over the upper guard. You'll notice a plate between the pommel cap and the upper guard: I'd guess that Vince peened the tang over that. The pommel cap was then pinned in place over the top of the peened tang.
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Michael F. wrote:
Does anyone know what construction method Vince uses?

Hi Michael

Construction method in what respect ?

Mac

Whoops! I meant the hilt compoments. :)
I was talking for sum 3 hours last night with Vince and of course the subject of this piece came up !

One of the things that I assumed was rather a simple deal turned out to be something a little more involved !

He explained that historically the rings on these style hilts were typically hollow, not solid , and that his recreation also incorporates this feature ! (so Mac's gears start turning .... how ?)
He actually made his hollow ring by dishing out 2 pieces of silver, of washer shape, and brazed it together !
* A technique he'd learned from his blacksmith dad, Bill !
(yeah, here I am thinking it was a simple chunk of metal drilled & ground ......good grief Charlie Brown ! ;-)

Also too .....
He told me that the guard and pommel on his hilt are also dished to accept the horn inserts which set in to them !
So it's not like he just slapped a piece of cheese in the sandwich ;-)

Yup, alot more than meets the eye here ! Quite the sword indeed, Mac
Hey Mac...

Thanks for relating the info... Very interesting!

Those guys must have really liked their swords blade heavy to go out of their way to lighten a hilt that needed to be heavier to balance the blade. Or maybe they were just pinching pennies and trying to save a little silver that would never be seen on the inside. Here is a picture that shows hollow guards on a Migration sword.

ks

Attachment: 72.71 KB
Beh4HollowGuards1Ebh.jpg
from “Das Zweischneidige Schwert Der Germanischen Volkerwanderungszeit” by Elis Behmer Stockholm 1939.
WOW Kirk !
That top guard really tickle my brain. :eek: :D :cool:
Ryan C. wrote:
Any idea how much this piece will go for?

Ballpark : (ie: my guess) $3,000. to $4,000. k

Mac
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Ryan C. wrote:
Any idea how much this piece will go for?

Ballpark : (ie: my guess) $3,000. to $4,000. k

Mac

Chump change :lol: :eek: :cry:
Joe Fults wrote:
As always very impressive.
.... The scabbard: can we get some more pictures of the detail on it?

Hi Joe

There will be some detailed pics of the scabbard coming, but probably not till after the show !
One thing he did mention to me is that the little cross looking piece, on the scabbard, is actually a belt hook (for baldric suspension) and that he had come across historical examples of this on period pieces !

Pretty cool ..... I always figured that they were an 18th century thing ! Mac
Mac wrote:
Pretty cool ..... I always figured that they were an 18th century thing ! Mac

Nope. That was one feature I was particularly happy to see incorporated into this piece. It shows that Vince is doing his homework, as usual.
I got to see another piece that Vince has made for Blade Show West, and heard about a couple of others !
(sorry guys, no hints for now .... I'm cruel, I know ;-)
But if you live anywhere in the vacinity it would be worth your while to get to the show and see these babies first hand ..... and if your lucky enough and have the extra $bucks$, ya might just walk away with something really special !

See ... Mac's not using his inside pipeline to greedily cut you guys out of new VE pieces !
Yup, selfless & noble, that's 'ol Mac alright ! ;-)
Thomas McDonald wrote:
But if you live anywhere in the vacinity it would be worth your while to get to the show and see these babies first hand ..... and if your lucky enough and have the extra $bucks$, ya might just walk away with something really special !

See ... Mac's not using his inside pipeline to greedily cut you guys out of new VE pieces !
Yup, selfless & noble, that's 'ol Mac alright ! ;-)

Hey what about me? Steve's also not using his inside pipeline to... :p Yup, selfless & noble, that's 'ol Steve...okay, I can't say all that with a straight face.

On a serious note, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I urge anyone who has even a remote interest in this field to go to a show and experience these sharp-n-pointies by a great smith first hand. If you think the swords look gorgeous in the photos, man-oh-man, ya should see them in person.

As for the finance issues, I for one had to make a decision. I could have amassed a large collection of good reproduction swords, but opted to go with a much smaller collection of superlative swords. Ones that elicit oohs and aahs. For me, anyway, quality over quantity was the way to go. Your mileage may vary.

Of course, 'ol Mac somehow managed to acquire quality AND quantity, the bast...mumble grumble... :cool:
Aye, brother Steve of the VE pattern weld tribe .... "selfless & noble" for sure, but you must not forget "handsome & dapper" ;-)

I'll bet you know the one I'm coverting :-) Mac
Get a room you two ! :lol:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Get a room you two ! :lol:

Well gee, Patrick, we WERE going to include you in the ranks of "selfless and noble and handsome and dap..." Okay, I can't do this with a straight face. :lol:

Mac, I have no idea what pattern welded baskethilt you might be coveting. ;)
Quote:
Mac, I have no idea what pattern welded baskethilt you might be coveting.

:eek: :D
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: