Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Huge Antique Cup Hilt Broadsword? Opinions and Smarts Needed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Douglas A.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Huge Antique Cup Hilt Broadsword? Opinions and Smarts Needed         Reply with quote

Eek! I just picked up a large Spanish 17th Century Style Cup Hilt Sword (with an unusually ornamented cup hilt). I need some help since it seems larger than life and I am only smart enough to guess wrong. I am curious as to the origin, date and type of sword this would be. It is over 55 inches long with a 42.5 inch long blade that is 1.5 inches wide. The cross guard is a foot across and the two handed handle is 9 inches long, including the pommel. There are four human faces on the cup hilt, which is highly ornamented but deteriorating with about 6 holes in it. Nor armory or makers marks.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Photos at the link below

http://usera.imagecave.com/dash321/Ash3/

Thanks Happy

best regards
doug
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll guess Spanish, early-mid 20th c. I have a Spanish piece from ca. 1970, and it also is of ridiculous proportions. Massive turned cross and side ring, loooong grip, threaded pommel you could use as a doorstop, etc. flat-hexagonal blade with nice, deep etching. Faux antique finish throughout. Your piece reminds me of that one, but with less machine work. These earlier modern Spanish items, strange as they are, still look much more convincing than recent offerings. The piece in my collection (a bastard sword) is so beefy I'm considering turning it into a bearing sword (polish, gold leaf, new wrap, etc), which would make it a much more plausible piece.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Sean's assesment. The overall style of the manufacture reminds me very much of several spanish-made pieces from the '70's that I used to have.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I agree with Sean's assesment. The overall style of the manufacture reminds me very much of several spanish-made pieces from the '70's that I used to have.

Your'e going to be mad at me Pat but that mirror finish you put on the Macbeth has suffered in my care. I swear, I thought it was stainless when I opened the box. I was revisiting it last night and it's at the top of my clean up list. I use it as a table example to show how reproductions have evolved.

The size of Douglas' sword does shout decorator but it would be hard to say it's not a 19th century one. maybe he can provide a bit more provenance on the piece and a description as to what it was sold as.

The Spanish did seem to use very hexagonal blades historically, an example can be seen in this article, by Juan Perez, about Spanish cavalry swords.

http://bermudas.ls.fi.upm.es/~pedro/tropacab_e.htm

Cheers

GC
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Your'e going to be mad at me Pat but that mirror finish you put on the Macbeth has suffered in my care. I swear, I thought it was stainless when I opened the box. I was revisiting it last night and it's at the top of my clean up list. I use it as a table example to show how reproductions have evolved.

It was far from new when you received it Glen so no worries!

I had a very large two-handed sword that reminds me a lot of this cup-hilt in the way it's finished. The ricasso on that one flared out into a flattened diamond section, and it had a very elaborate brass guard with flat side rings, and a pommel in the shape of a kings head, as well as a wire-bound grip. It was made in Spain as well.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Douglas A.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, I was traveling. In response to Glen's question, this sword was portrayed as an antique, but not 17th C. I viewed it as a late 19th century sword, but was suprised at the "age"wear to the blade and the deterioration of the cup hilt, where there is extensive thinness and holes. Nothing is screwed on, the pommel is hammered into place, wire is a bit loose, but is in very good condition. Considering the proportions, I thought it may be a bastardized or parts sword. Never though it was post 1950 and was interested in other views, which are always useful. Thanks!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Huge Antique Cup Hilt Broadsword? Opinions and Smarts Needed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic