Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patricks Painted Brainbucket Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Patricks Painted Brainbucket         Reply with quote

Patrick,

Thats quite the outfit, very well executed. Now I have to ask:

1 what's the history on painting helms and spear hafts?
2 does painting help preserve mild steel?
3 Is that a limited practice, the painting of the helm, or was it widespread over a long period of time?
4 what kind of tinctures have you seen, and can you provide any historical pics?
5 (totally unrelated) where do you get your puttees?

Again, great outfit, very cool. Just what I needed to get off my... chair... and finish my Dane outfit.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Patricks Painted Brainbucket         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Patrick,

Thats quite the outfit, very well executed. Now I have to ask:

1 what's the history on painting helms and spear hafts?
2 does painting help preserve mild steel?
3 Is that a limited practice, the painting of the helm, or was it widespread over a long period of time?
4 what kind of tinctures have you seen, and can you provide any historical pics?
5 (totally unrelated) where do you get your puttees?

Again, great outfit, very cool. Just what I needed to get off my... chair... and finish my Dane outfit.

Thanks Gavin.

Painting helmets and other types of armor goes back to the ancient world and was a common practice up through the late middle ages. It seems to have been far more common than it would seem when looking at what's portrayed by most modern reinactors and living history groups. Painted spear shafts have also been found in migration era finds. Painting armor would have two benefits: it would have provided protection against the elements, as well as aiding in identification on the battlefield.

I have to admit that most of this interpretation is conjecture on my part as there aren't very many period sources that depict painted helmets from this era. The bayuex Tapestry is the primary source for this as it depicts helmets in various colors. However, the tapestry also uses a wide range of colors for things like horses and armor as well, so this is all interpretation.

http://www.sjolander.com/viking/museum/bt/bt.htm

One of my main sources of inspiration for this project has been illustrations found in several of the Osprey books, most notably The Normans. While these are not "period" sources I do find the effect pleasing and perfectly logical.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I have seen painted armor in Osprey books and wondered at it before, but the very idea of painting over an expensive helmet makes me clench. The concept is logical, but I've been told (possibly by questionable sources) that paint doesn't protect against rust.

Hmm. Guess I'd better call Rustoleum and tell them this, they'll be rather upset.

I guess I've been conditioned to believe that part of the beauty of the equipment is the shiny metal itself, whereas to a period soldier, it was just (very important) equipment. Do you have ant more detailed pics, if it's not too much trouble?

thanks
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is to say, pics of your helm. Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin;

Hmmmmm, paint doesn't protect against rust ! ( Not blaming you, as you say the source is questionable. )

Just as an example: Lets take two ocean going steel hulled ships and paint one and leave the other in the white; which one do you think will still be afloat after years spent in sea water !

Now paint isn't 100% protective as ships have to be repainted and maintained often I think.

Or, take a car and don't paint it, see how long it would last in a Québec winter on salted roads!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
That is to say, pics of your helm. Laughing Out Loud

http://www.pbase.com/khp_plk/olmutz&page=all

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin wrote:
I guess I've been conditioned to believe that part of the beauty of the equipment is the shiny metal itself, whereas to a period soldier, it was just (very important) equipment. Do you have ant more detailed pics, if it's not too much trouble?

If you're going to gain an understanding of what the medievals found aesthetically pleasing you need to divorce yourself from your 21st century sensibilities. Displays of color were an indication of status and station. They liked color and lots of it, and they didn't have our penchant for color coordination either. Some of the period color combinations would look quite garish and clashing to the modern eye. That whole bare metal and leather look is really a modern affectation.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gaving wrote:
The concept is logical, but I've been told (possibly by questionable sources) that paint doesn't protect against rust.

As an ex-Navy man I agree with Jean. Whoever told you that is mistaken. Maybe it was someone who likes their armor all bare and shiny. Wink

David Lindberg

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that both aesthetics may have been seen in the past. Both the garish color, and the shiny metal. If this is the case, then one might say that, for example, the desire by British soldiers of the 19th and 19th centuries to have their gun barrels in the white, and burnished with ramrods could in fact be an extension of the medieval view of shining steel as being fitting for a warrior or somesuch. I should not have to point out the Landesknechts to give an example of medieval and renaissance fascination with color.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of the social importance of color when dyes are limited. Of course I dont think of color as a status symbol because dyes are so cheap. I think that in that context if purple and say, orange are difficult and or expensive to acquire and i can get them, of course I'm going to put them on my armor no matter what my color wheel says.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Judging by my own reactions I think Patrick is setting a trend here.
I expect to see many more examples of painted repro armor in the not too distant future.

The hardest part is picking the color(s) I guess. I like black but I'd probably be one of the 68% that wants to be 'the' black knight. Laughing Out Loud
Decisions...decisions...
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Patrick's comments about aesthetics and coordination of colour in prior ages are very true. I was certainly surprised as a schoolboy to learn that the beautifully restrained stone temples of the Parthenon, Sparta and Delphi were actually covered in their original state by garish primary colours and gold - the flutes of the columns striped in an array of colours. Colour is visible and makes a statement either for identification or for wealth. So this was proper decoration for these temples. On another thread I was asking about colours in clothing because as I understand it a lot of the modern subtle colours only started to appear in the later middle ages largely from the Islamic world so colours on armour too may have been a combination of fairly loud primary colours.

Certainly as far back as the Spartans they were known to paint the capital lamda letter on their shields to signify Lakedaimon (or 'Sparta'). Decoration for indentity and impression was recognised pretty early I'd think. The Japanese too had some very colourful armour.

Daniel
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you think different countries would have color preferences?
Chuck
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the question about different countries and colour preferences is an interesting one. I suppose there are two main questions there. Firstly the simple question of availability of colour: if one country had an available source like saffron for yellow but no woad for blue they might have a lot of yellow but not much blue etc .

The more important question i guess is the identification of country or rather recognisable social unit. In order to use a predominant colour it would seem logical for the colour to have an association with something, like the red white and blue of US, UK and French flags. Were the British uniforms traditionally red because of the red element of the George Cross or the red of the lions rampant on flags or the French uniforms blue because of the blue background on a lot of Fleur de Lis flags or the flags of the new Republic? A uniforms expert probably can answer that (which I'm not) but the essence is that there would probably be an association with a group. But although we now are readily able to accept ideas of nationhood on the Monte Video principles of homogenity of race, language, social system or culture, that was probably an anathema to a lot of earlier cultures. In a feudal system your alliegance would have been to your lord primarily and then his to the king but the idea of homogeneous nation was far less developed I would think. So I suppose my 2 cents answer is that feudal groups would have a colour or pattern preference due to their arms or symbols of family but that colours of the nation as a whole would be less likely exist to because the 'country ' concept was not developed in the way it is now. But the colours of a feudal family I suppose might be analagous to modern national colours just that the 'country' or unit was smaller. Other people may have knowledge or evidence that colour association existed beyond the feudal relationship to a broader concept in Norman times. Be interesting to hear if they do.

2 cents

Daniel
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm waiting for someone to do some historically appropriate paint work on a sallet. The surviving examples are pretty spectacular.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin wrote:
(totally unrelated) where do you get your puttees?

I missed this one before, sorry!

Here you go: http://users.adelphia.net/~cessnapilot/puttees.htm

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Wyatt wrote:
Do you think different countries would have color preferences?
Chuck

David Nicolle says in one of his books, I can't remember which, that Ayyubid and Mamluk warriors liked to use yellow for for their clothing. I don't recall what his evidence for this is, other than a Mamluk fabric armour in Florence (Of the type that Dan Howard refers to as a "faux brigandine") covered in yellow velvet.
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to do some historically appropriate paint work on a sallet. The surviving examples are pretty spectacular.

That must be these you talk about, Sean
Painted Sallet

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: painted sallet         Reply with quote

Looking at the link that Steve Fabert posted about painted sallets, I started reading the old topic again with renewed interest as one does. However ,I noticed this piece, purported to be a painted sallet, it is however an etched and enamelled sallet c.1550-55 ? made by Kunz Lochner of Nuremberg, for Prince Nikolaus IV.

http://www.100megsfree3.com/kragaxe/armee/Helmets.html

It is a beautiful helmet though

Regards as ever,

Russ

PS. Sorry a little bit off topic here, my apologies for that.

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out This Topic for painted examples of the "Black Sallet" type of helmet.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Patricks Painted Brainbucket
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: