Go to page 1, 2  Next

My latest treasure...
This lovely creature was recently added to my collection courtesy of those wonderful chaps at A&A. Of course I could have placed this into the thread below, but honestly now... This object of beauty deserves its own thread so that it may be appreciated without distraction. :D

In all seriousness though, A&A have to be at the top of the heap when it comes to production pieces. Even that is not a truly accurate statement however. I would personally put them in a category all by themselves because they are somewhat of a cross between custom and production. I mean they do have a catalog of standard designs, but no two are exactly alike due to the amount of hands on massaging they receive prior to shipment. That I feel makes them almost all custom.

Anyway, take it for what you will. I must admit that I am a bit biased though as I have known these guys for a good number of years now. With my blather now finished here she is...

Attachment: 90.31 KB
DSCN4392.jpg

Congratulations Erik, that's a fine sword. Over the years I've owned more than a few A&A rapiers and have never been disappointed with any of them. This one has always been one of my favorites.
I have always liked this one as well. I have seen the original and this one does it justice big time. Now I will have to make up a pair of dueling gauntlets to display with it. :lol:

At present I am having them do up a custom one with a 40" blade. It is based off of an original as well. When its finally born this will be the first place you'll see it. You will cry tears of joy when you gaze upon it due to its shear gracefullness and beauty. I can't wait...
Eric, do you have a higher resolution version of that picture???

It would make a GREAT wallpaper. :cool:
Just for you David. :lol:

link removed.

Last edited by Erik D. Schmid on Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
I'm not much of a rapier man, but I still want to buy one from A&A at some point. Probably the German one. They make the nicest rapiers I've ever seen.
The above link didn't work for me.

Here's the one I used.

http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/erik/writhen.JPG

Enjoy,
Erik,

That is stunning ! Me like very much :D I am sure that that is a real pleasure to own. No doubt it was fun to make too, what my master would call 'A nice little sit down job' ! :) Do they make a companion dagger for it as well ?
Gauntlets, if I remember correctly, Eric Valentine ,in his fine book on rapiers, has a nice duelling gauntlet in there. Unfortunately I do not have a copy any more, but no doubt someone on the forum has somewhere ! ? :D
A very nice addition to the collection you have there Erik , very nice indeed !

Regards as ever,

Russ
Russ Thomas wrote:
Erik,

That is stunning ! Me like very much :D I am sure that that is a real pleasure to own. No doubt it was fun to make too, what my master would call 'A nice little sit down job' ! :) Do they make a companion dagger for it as well ?
Gauntlets, if I remember correctly, Eric Valentine ,in his fine book on rapiers, has a nice duelling gauntlet in there. Unfortunately I do not have a copy any more, but no doubt someone on the forum has somewhere ! ? :D
A very nice addition to the collection you have there Erik , very nice indeed !

Regards as ever,

Russ

Yes they do make a companion dagger

[ Linked Image ]

That's my absolute favorite rapier they have and I will own it one day oh yes precious... ahem sorry... Anyway it's my understanding that historically swords and daggers en suite were the exception rather then the rule? However, I'm still glad they make the set.
Thanks for that Russ, that is rather pretty too I do think ! :) Scabbards by any chance ?

Thanks for the picture Russ. :)

Regards as ever,

Russ (T).

Quote:
That's my absolute favorite rapier they have and I will own it one day

There is a rapier in the Royal Armouries collection that I really, really , really want to make (IX.879), ca.1610, it is illustrated on page 30 of the old Royal Armouries catalogue (the one with the armours of King Charles I and King Henry VIII on the front ). That is a rapier that I would love to make. It is filed to look like a sort of squared chain link effect....Very pretty ! IMHO ! :cool:

R.

Last edited by Russ Thomas on Fri 26 Aug, 2005 6:38 am; edited 3 times in total
Russ Thomas wrote:
Thanks for that Russ, that is rather pretty too I do think ! :) Scabbards by any chance ?

Thanks for the picture Russ. :)

Regards as ever,

Russ (T).

Well.. I've done exactly one rapier scabbard and that one was before I knew any better... I've got a couple in the pipeline though and if someone wants to send me a writhen for scabbarding... :) Well I'm sure as heck not going to argue with them!
Russ,

I have plenty of information on gauntlets. What I need is the time to be able to sit down and make a pair. That is something that is hard to come by these days. I have several styles to chose from as well, so that just adds to the frustration.

Oh, I modified the picture in the above link by adding some words to it. Here is the new one:

http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/erik/writhen-wallpaper.jpg

And this one works to. ;)
Erik D. Schmid wrote:
Russ,

I have plenty of information on gauntlets. What I need is the time to be able to sit down and make a pair. That is something that is hard to come by these days. I have several styles to chose from as well, so that just adds to the frustration.

Oh, I modified the picture in the above link by adding some words to it. Here is the new one:

http://www.armourresearchsociety.org/erik/writhen-wallpaper.jpg

And this one works to. ;)

Sigh now I have a hard decision... put this wallpaper up or leave Bill Grandy's custom rapier on my desktop... maybe I'll alternate weeks...
Ah yes, Bill's rapier... I remember seeing it when it was being created. A very fine piece to say the least.

What you could do is have them alternate on a continual basis.
Wonderful looking piece, Erik .... Congratulations !
(I really like your photo, too .... nice job !)

The folks at A&A are fine craftsmen, indeed !

Cheers, Mac
Congratulations, Erik. That is a beautiful piece, and your photograph presents it very well. And, thanks for the wallpaper.
Erik,
Congrats on your VERY beautiful piece there. It makes some of us green with envy!!!! I'm definately
using it as a wallpaper on my desktop. It'll give me something to aspire to as far as purchasing a
rapier from A & A AND also to practice my rapier technics more often so I can handle something
like this.

:D
I got to see one of these a year ago, and I was completely floored. I'd never cared much for the design when I saw pictures, but when I saw it in person it LEAPT up to my "must own" list. It's a fantastic piece of work.

Erik, I must say, that's a beautiful picture of it as well!

Russ Ellis wrote:
Sigh now I have a hard decision... put this wallpaper up or leave Bill Grandy's custom rapier on my desktop... maybe I'll alternate weeks...

Heh... you probably wouldn't like to see how I treat that one... it's a blunt for drilling and teaching, and well, it's not so pretty as it once was... still gorgeous, but it might make some people cringe. :eek: :)
Quote:

Heh... you probably wouldn't like to see how I treat that one... it's a blunt for drilling and teaching, and well, it's not so pretty as it once was... still gorgeous, but it might make some people cringe. :eek: :)

Hey guys!!! Don't listen to Bill G. It's SO gorgeous you've gotta pause to look at it even though he's coming at you with it! :eek:
Greetings Erik D. Schmid, I own two of their "simplier" pieces. Their Shifford Viking sword and Danish axe. While not being "fancy", both are pure function and pure pleasure to handle. I have also owned their Highland Claymore and Irish Ringhilt sword. I have to agree they do phenomenal work and are true treasures to own. To add to their credit. they have been around for quite awhile and are excellent folks to deal with. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmatin
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: