Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Carrying a replica French cutlass. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Carrying a replica French cutlass.         Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been looking at this cutlass for a while and I really like the look of it, but I'm not sure about how you would go about wearing it (for costuming purposes). A lot of other cutlass or hanger scabbards I've seen have some sort of button or hook on them to hang it from a leather frog, but I can't figure out how the loop on the back of this scabbard (shown in photo) would work with any of the normal leather frogs I've seen. Anybody know how this is supposed to work or possibly have pics of a similar scabbard being carried?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

-v

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm assuming the staple passes through a slit in the frog and a small tongue of leather then passes through the staple, preventing it from pulling back through the slit. That's just a guess, though. Swords and Blades of the American Revolution might have some info for you (if this method isn't only post-1800). Your particular weapon looks like it's 19th c., so you might be able to find photos if you look for French navy images.

Have a look at French infantry living history groups online and see if you can spot details of carry. Also, be sure to check out The Discriminating General's page of French swords:
http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords1.htm

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Sean. I can see how that might work.

I had imagined that it might be something like what is pictured below which is the suspension system for a swiss military surplus bayonet like one I own.

The only difference being that on the bayonet sheath, the "staple" or ring is on the front of the scabbard (at least it appears that way from the way in sits in the frog) whereas on the cutlass above it is definitely on the back. Still seems like it might be a similar setup. I'll have to see if I can find some French re-enactors and peruse their gear.

Thanks again, and if anyone else knows more, don't hesitate to jump in.

thanks

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Sean Flynt

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The book I mentioned shows clearly how this system worked, though it shows only 18th c. pieces with the staple on the front of the scabbard. On these, the male end of a small belt, with several adjusting holes, is sewn onto the staple. The female, or buckle, end is sewn onto the frog below the slit. So, you pass the staple and belt out through the slit in the frog, then put the belt through the little buckle, inserting the the buckle's pin through one of the holes in the belt. Complicated, but smart.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Wed 31 Aug, 2005 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vince Labolito wrote:

Heh... I own one of those, too. Mine is missing the frog, though.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Every one of those I've ever seen in original condition had a leather strap running through the ring that formed a belt loop.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Every one of those I've ever seen in original condition had a leather strap running through the ring that formed a belt loop.

Hey Mr. Kelly, are you reffering to the cutlass scabbard or the bayonet?

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vince Labolito wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Hey Mr. Kelly, are you reffering to the cutlass scabbard or the bayonet?

The cutlass.

Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You don't happen to know where you saw an orginal in that condition do you? In the interest of authenticity, I'd love to see it.

I did find a bit more information at the National Maritime Museum website (http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/), where they have the following to say about one of the 1833 pattern French cutlasses in their collection

"The black leather scabbard is sewn down the reverse face and is fitted with a brass top locket and a brass chape. The locket has a rectangular loop fitted near the mouth on the obverse side and the chape has a ball tip. Both parts are secured to the leather by a brass wire staple. The rectangular loop fixed to the locket originally had a leather strap through it. It is secured to join the scabbard to a frog."

This and the picture of the weapon in their collection makes it sound like the loop is on the front of the scabbard which could mean that the replica I mentioned in the first post is made incorrectly.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't happen to know where you saw an orginal in that condition do you? In the interest of authenticity, I'd love to see it.

Over the years I've had several friends who've had examples in their collections, the Chicago maritime museum used to have one on display, as did the reception area at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick, I'll have too see if the Chicago Museum has any web galleries.

thanks everyone for your help.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Carrying a replica French cutlass.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic