Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

A claymore that was posted about, in this SFI thread, back in January ....
Length is 56" in., weighs in at 7 3/4 lbs.

Mac

Attachment: 117.73 KB
claymore sfi.JPG

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Wed 07 Sep, 2005 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mac;

Is it possible that this 10 pound claymore is a 19th century reproduction ? The weight in particular seems excessive. :eek:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Mac;

Is it possible that this 10 pound claymore is a 19th century reproduction ? The weight in particular seems excessive. :eek:

Hi Jean

Yup .... if it's older than that I seriously doubt it was made with fighting in mind !

Mac
Castle Keep claidheamh dà làimh, by Rob Miller, Isle of Skye !

Mac

Attachment: 68.36 KB
Castle Keep Claymore.jpg

Attachment: 98.04 KB
Castke Keep claymores.jpg

Claidheamh Mor by Armour Class, Glasgow ! Mac

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Fri 09 Sep, 2005 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Castle Keep claidheamh dà làimh, by Rob Miller, Isle of Skye !

Mac

I love the way Rob carves the knotwork into some of his Claymore handles. Are there historical examples of this?

Sure is purty.

:D
Joe Maccarrone wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Castle Keep claidheamh dà làimh, by Rob Miller, Isle of Skye Mac

I love the way Rob carves the knotwork into some of his Claymore handles.
Are there historical examples of this? Sure is purty. :D

Hi Joe

Beyond basket-hilts (even a rapier) , I can't recall seeing an original claymore handle that featured fully carved interlace ?

But I'm far from having seen all that is out there, so who knows ? Mac
This one is mine, I believe -- the one I bought from the Armour Class shop when I was in Glasgow last year.
Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
This one is mine, I believe -- the one I bought from the Armour Class shop when I was in Glasgow last year.

Hi Ruel

That's a fine looking piece ..... what does it weigh in at ?

Feel free to post some better pics of it (as the good ones I had were lost to 'ol EZ Shots going belly up ) !

Mac
Bless the very bones o' ye, McDonald! Fine thread, gentlemen....fine. The Scottish claymore is one of the least studied, and probably least understood of all medieval swords. You all should take a bow. Excellence..........pure excellence. ...mcm.
Apart from the wonderful pics and very informative discussion of Claymores I have to say I loved the Highland Charge credit card pics you posted, Mac. Made me laugh and was very well received amongst colleagues in the financial sector of London. Great stuff!

Daniel
You go away for just a few days to pack and move and look what you come back to :)

Excellent post and absolutely stunning Claymores. There is just something endearing about a sword of that size and power, and all the while graceful.

Just when I thought I could begin to narrow my collecting down, I now have to stop and wonder why I don't have one these beauties hanging on the wall at home.

Mac, a question for about one of the pics you posted. There is one of an older gentleman holding a Claymore and at the bottom it calls out that he is from Morristown, NJ. Do you have any additional information on that sword? The reason I ask is because I work one town over and live all of about 15 minutes away from there.

I would love a chance to see it up close if possible.
Dominic Dellavalle wrote:
Mac, a question for about one of the pics you posted. There is one of an older gentleman holding a Claymore and at the bottom it calls out that he is from Morristown, NJ. Do you have any additional information on that sword? The reason I ask is because I work one town over and live all of about 15 minutes away from there.
I would love a chance to see it up close if possible.

Hi Dominic

Andrew Davis (the gentleman who posted the photos) would be the best one to contact for more information concerning it, and its owner ! Try contacting him via the SFI messaging service and see if he's still about !

I did find another thread he posted, this one of the SFI's Scottish Forum, that updates the actual weight on this piece as 7 3/4 lbs., not 10 (which I edited in above).

Good luck, Dom ! Mac
Mark Moore wrote:
Bless the very bones o' ye, McDonald! Fine thread, gentlemen....fine. The Scottish claymore is one of the least studied, and probably least understood of all medieval swords. You all should take a bow. Excellence..........pure excellence. ...mcm.

Ya made my day, Mark :-)

Alba gu brath, laddie ! Mac
Daniel Parry wrote:
Apart from the wonderful pics and very informative discussion of Claymores I have to say I loved the Highland Charge credit card pics you posted, Mac. Made me laugh and was very well received amongst colleagues in the financial sector of London. Great stuff! Daniel

Hi Daniel

Yes, those were funny take-offs on the Visa commercials !
I'm trying to jog my memory as to who it was on SFI that put them up on the Scottish forum, there ? Hmm ???

Here is another one that I'd saved to file !

Mac

Attachment: 64.75 KB
Highland Charge 3.JPG

Hi again Daniel

I found that old SFI thread (I should have known it was Ethan :-)
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...isa+charge

It was forumite Ethan Evans-Hilton, of Denver Colorado, who did these spoofs, using photos of a living history group, The Clann, at this link : http://www.the-clann.co.uk/

Ethan did alot of cool photo stuff for us over there, Mac
Claymore at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, UK . , Mac

Maker: unkown
Period: 16th century.
Date: circa 1500-1530
Description: Claymore, two-handed sword of a type used in Scotland from the 15th to 17th century. The pommel is from a basket-tilt sword. An inscription 'AFORBES' (with the F the wrong way round) is punched (pontillé style) along one length (nothing on the other): name of previous owner? [D.Edge 8/3/93] (The top of the blade is punchmarked ‘Fettes,’ an old Scottish name.)
Inscriptions/Marks: Description: the F is written backwards - Interpretation: name of previous owner?
Provenance: bought: Christie's 1949-03-11 (Filtered for: Applied Arts collection)
Accession Number: M.2-1949 (Applied Arts) (Input Date: 2001-01-25 / Last Edit: 2005-03-10)
Link to page

Attachment: 67.49 KB
claymore c 16th cen 2.jpg

Attachment: 36.82 KB
claymore c 16th cen full.jpg

There is a detailed look at this claymore, by Ian Kirkwood, linked from The Cateran Society's site !
It's 3 seperate pages in PDF format , Mac
'Oliphant of Gask Scottish Two Hander' - Page # 1
Page # 2
Page # 3
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Sure enough, on the last page of the Hunterian website, I found the recreation, shown below. Cool.

My apologies for the thread hijack, and mostly to the Scottish people for this...But I gotta call it as I see it!

Attachment: 2.45 KB
Image1.jpg
"Aye...make it happen"
Chuck Perino wrote:
My apologies for the thread hijack, and mostly to the Scottish people for this...But I gotta call it as I see it!

"Aye, the haggis is in the fire now, for sure" !
But ya know ...... a Starship at Bannockburn certainly would've speeded things up ;-) Mac

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Page 5 of 6

Jump to: