Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > historical frog or harness for 12th century war swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: historical frog or harness for 12th century war swords?         Reply with quote

I just finished my first attempt at leather covering on a scabbard for an Albion Crecy Grete (1st generation.) Even though it is not pretty, I will attach some photos. This scabbard is thick and wide since it has a completely sewn thick wool sock liner, has at about 1/4" (6 mm) of wood all around the blade and liner, is covered with fiberglass lamination/ then leather. It is strong enough to stand and gently bounce on while supported only at the tips. Surprisingly, the scabbard only weighs 2 lbs (less than 1 kg.) I would guess this is heavier than an average reproduction but pretty much in line with actual weight of the few surviving scabbards such as the one for the sword of St. Maurice (has metal plates and bands if I remember right.) Now for the problem...

I planned on a two point suspension thinking that a simple shoulder strap would be appropirate for late 12th century to early 13th century combatants, and consistent with some Bayeux tapestry images of scabbard harness that forum members have been kind enough to post in the past. My two point suspension (testing with rope at this point) is perfect while the sword is in the scabbard. Once the sword is removed, the scabbard CG moves down about 10 inches (255 mm.) Duh.... I am convinced that in the case of a two point suspension (like shown in the tapestry), the scabbard tip will always droop towards the ground once the sword is drawn. This presents a terrible risk of tripping and is aggravating if the scabbard is long for an epee du gere or hand and a half style weapon with long blade length. As long as the scabbard is discarded before actually wielding the sword, no big deal. Otherwise, I figure at least three attachment points are needed (the lower strap and middle strap to hold the scabbard at a desired angle with the sword removed, while the middle strap and strap closest to the mouth are needed to support the scabbard at a desired angle while the sword is in the scabbard.)

So where did I go wrong? Were three point harnesses used by those who reportedly had uncommonly long swords (Edward the Black prince and his body guards, King Harold at Hastings, etc.) despite the fact that tapestries don't show this? Did everyone just discard the hazardous empty scabbard at the first convienient moment?

Theories, experience, and ridicule are welcome! At this point I figure the project is just a cool looking storage device.

Attachment: 20.85 KB
scabbard_bands.jpg

Attachment: 20.96 KB
scabbard_close.jpg

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jared,

There are few different ways to attach a sword to a belt, of which I will list two: an integral belt (possibly the more common method of attachment until 15th c), and an attachment of hooks coming form the belt and going through iron lops on the scabbard (somewhat similar to your scabbard). I think that the second one is OK for civilian and mounted use, but may be too floppy for on-foot fighting.

In my experience, the integral belt with only two points of attachment is not a problem and does not move too much thus impeding the motion of the user. I do not think that 3 points of attachment are needed for a steady scabbard.

That is my 2cents, and I admittedly have no enormous knowledge on scabbards.

Alexi
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A form of interlaced scabbard/belt assembly seems to be the norm during the 11th-12th centuries.

This particular variation seems to be the standard in the modern industry, although there were numerous variations on this theme in the period. When the sword is drawn from a scabbard with this type of suspension system the scabbard does not shift position. It maintains the same angle without any drooping. I've worn various scabbards with this system for extended periods of time for years and have never had a problem with any inconvenience when the sword is not in the scabbard.

As far as I can tell there aren't any detailed renderings of suspension systems on the Bayuex Tapestry, at least nothing that can illustrate what's being used in any definitive sense.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the photo Patrick. I believe someone previously requested that you post an image showing both sides (at a matched alignment.) It would be nice for us do it yourself types to have a template to go by. Has anyone posted a "how to" for lacing the belt right into the scabbard cover? Leather is expensive enough and time consumming enough that a pattern would be the way I would want to go. I plan to cover the next one in paper first to create a template for the leather cover.

I found the previous post (mid February) and it was indeed a waiste high belt shown in a reference from Oakshotte.

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go Jared, as made by Peter Johnsson.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About halfway down the first page of the following thread on SFI, there is a very detailed sketch attributed to Peter Johnsson regarding accurate scabbard construction, including integral belt, that may prove helpful:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t...n+scabbard
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes ....!

That is extremely helpful! I doubt it will get better than that. I will pattern the belt for the Munich sword like this. I don't like the baldric support for anything other than simple transport purposes. I would speculate some may have used such for travel, but had an integral belt frog (for unscabbarded sword) on the waist belt for their mail harness. The bulk of a scabbard is pretty annoying.

I did do some checking on archeology finds (limited to 2nd hand articles on internet) regarding historical scabbard support. It seems that the loop configuration and support from a baldric is more common in eariler finds. Leather lacework and integral belts could have been done, but the leather "as found" is probably too deteriorated in typical finds for archeologists to establish much about it. At least one article mentions several famous finds and pretty firmly asserts that Saxons in the 7th century dominantly used baldric support and a variety of materials to create rings on the scabbard. I was surprised to see how long this article claims the "blade lengths" were and wonder if the author really means "overall sword length" when he gives the dimensions. This would appear to place war sword sized weapons in the 7th century....

http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol1no1/Weapons.htm

Chad Sonderberg

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although this belt and hanger design are 15th century in origin, I thought I'd post them anyway. I constucted it myself. I'm working on a Tutorial of this design for Arador, but it won't be finished until the end of the month or beginning of next month.

A.C.S.

Lebend mit Ehre, Sterben Sie mit Dignität.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > historical frog or harness for 12th century war swords?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic