Go to page 1, 2  Next

A photo of Peter Johnsson, and some very nice armor.
I was surfing cyber space and came upon Peter J. looking quite the medieval soldier......................
[ Linked Image ]

There are a few other photos of this very nice living history group here...................
http://www.olofsgillet.org/

Very nice stuff.
Peter looks like a guy not to be messed with, especially if your on the wrong side of the field :cool:
That is a fine looking group. I am no expert, but they look spot on to me.

They get extra cool points for the black sallets! :cool:
Patrick, thanks for posting that! Good Lord, what a feast for the eyes and the mind! I think that Peter and his compatriots have done a wonderful job in their presentation, and the bar is now set very high indeed! I think it will take some time before their premiership in living history will be seriously challenged! The website is pretty hot, too, BTW! Wow. :eek:

Good show, Peter, I am extremely impressed! :cool:

Cheers!

Gordon
Design of the Website is pretty neat too.
Actually, though the pics were great, I really loved the music and left the site open on my computer here at work just to listen to it. :D
Lloyd Clark wrote:
Actually, though the pics were great, I really loved the music and left the site open on my computer here at work just to listen to it. :D

I did the same thing! :D

Cheers!

Gordon
That is nice music. I wonder who it is? I wouldn't mind getting a copy.
Agreed. I could listen to that for quite awhile. Patrick, how did you find that sight?
M. Taylor wrote:
Agreed. I could listen to that for quite awhile. Patrick, how did you find that sight?

Just surfin' and there it was. :D

I was doing a search on the word "chainmail". Yes, I know, but try a search on the word "mail" alone and see what you get!
There is also a nice pic of Peter (in period dress and with the Sture sword) in "Medieval Military Costume in Color Photographs (Europa Militaria Special No. 8)" by Gerry Embleton on p. 81. Don't think it is available on line, though.

As a side note, one other "famous" person in the Embleton book is John Howe, the well known Lord of the Rings artist (and movie contributor).

Gordon
:D Peter are little here and little there on the net and in books,
if you want to see him make an sword, Go Here
on page 2 and 3 are 7 short movie's, when he do that and talk about some other wepon's, in Swedish.

Peter? Do you have any picture's on that sword and spear? nice blade's :cool:
Gordon Clark wrote:

As a side note, one other "famous" person in the Embleton book is John Howe, the well known Lord of the Rings artist (and movie contributor).

Gordon

There are some great shots of him in his stuff here:

http://www.john-howe.com/medieval/pictures.htm

I especially like the third one down.
Patrik;

Very interesting looking stuff even with the language barrier :cool:

Funny, Swedish almost sounds like English if I had somehow forgotten how to understand it: It almost felt as if I concentrated enough i would actually understand it.

There was the odd word here and there that seemed to get through :eek:

I guess very old English and very old Swedish might sound alike in the same way as many Latin languages have similar sounds.

Oh, the oddest thing is that I think I heard a word that sounded like the word " Klingon " from Star Trek. :surprised: :eek:

Hey maybe the first writers of the Star Trek series used a Swedish word as the name for this alien race :?: :?: :?:
:eek: I can't see any Klingon's there :eek: (just kidding)

Peter say's Klinga and Klingan, that's is one of the words we have for Blade :D
Languages are fun, i always think on old Swedish when i read foreign languages,
half of it are good enough to get the whole picture :D
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I guess very old English and very old Swedish might sound alike in the same way as many Latin languages have similar sounds.

IIRC they did not only sound similar, but actually were similar enough to be understandable.
Well, English DOES include a lot of Danish & Norwegian in it. As I recall, English is made up from mooshing together Anglo-Saxon, Danish/Norwegian and Norman-French, all squeezed rather uncomfortably into a Latin-based format. All in all then, quite closely related to all of it's neighboring languages (except Gaelic).

I remember one time listening to some sailor songs from a tape a friend had, and I kept turning up the volume to hear better... he finally said "You won't understand better with it louder, it's in Dutch..." :eek: But it was quite odd, since the inflections and cadences were so similar, and it seemed as though I SHOULD be able to understand it clearly. But only a bit here and there. A VERY strange feeling!

Cheers!

Gordon
Peter belongs in motion pictures ..... he's got "that leading man look" !
Me .... I'd be one of the disgruntled Scottish mercenary types filling out the background shot ;-) Mac
Very Nifty!

I would love to get into this sometime for the educational aspects. Alas the budget doth not allow this at the present time.

Cheers,

P.S. on the ST note:

Klingan - Swedish for blade? how appropriate :).
Feringee - The name given to Europeans by the Hindus. (mostly franks)
Vulcan - Roman god.
Romulus - One of the legendary founders of Rome.

Interesting, no? :D
hmm.... I think peter has taken waldo's place. When should I start looking for "Where Is Peter?" in print? Honestly though I have always found language to be a fascinating subject. Has anybody ever looked into German? A lot of words look and sound very similar to our modern English. I guess that is what you get when you throw everything into a pot and stir, lol.

I think you should look into that movie thing too. :cool:
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: