Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Test cutting performance of Albion Steward or Count? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Test cutting performance of Albion Steward or Count?         Reply with quote

I recently had my first good experience test cutting (on water bottles) and decided to at least consider buying a good, peened pommel construction longsword for cutting practice with two handed grip. My first experience was with an A-Trim, and the threaded pommel nut kept loosening. This can permit the scent stopper and grip angle to twist, and leaves question of fault on poor cuts. I intend to eliminate that "excuse" for poor cutting technique by going with a peened pommel.

I have read that the Albion Baron (about $750 U.S.) is a fantastic cutter, and it is a little cheaper than some of the higher priced Albion models. I actually want something a little lighter and faster, suited for practice manuver drills. I have been considering the Steward or Count (costs about $700 U.S.). I do not really want to go up to the price range of Sempach or Earl (about $900 U.S. price.) Has anyone tried much test cutting using the Steward or Count? Would this be a good lower cost end Albion model for test cutting?

I also have a reservation for the Munich sword. I am buying that one primarily for long grip handling. I would not expect it to be optimized for cut as much as for multi-purpose thrust / partially effective cut.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've cut with the count. Light targets, but in my expereince it performs well and looks very nice. If memory serves I did not have to adjust much of anything in my style to make it perform. Fairly forgiving of poor technique.

As for the Munich, once you learn how to use it, I'm sure it will cut well enough. I'm learning that with some of the Albions, you have to adjust how you approach using them to optomize their performance. For example, I continue to struggle to ge the Baron to perform like it should. However several people suggested some slight adjustments that seemed to help me at the last Roundtable I attended, and other people do very well with it.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm currently working on a review of the Count and Steward. I did a bit of cutting with both and if you're looking for a lighter warsword they are both good choices.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might want to look at the Crecy as well. I have no personal experience with the sword but I have heard many good things about it and I am looking at it right now. It is supposed a little bit more oriented toward thrusting than the Count and Steward but at $580 it is a very very good price. I don't know if it fits the time period you are interesed in though but I hope this info helps a bit.
Good Luck... Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Joe, Patrick, and Alexander.

I actually have the first generation Crecy Grete, but had Albion "dull" it before shipping. They left a roughly 1/16" diameter half round edge on it which is very safe in terms of grasping it and pulling it through hands, etc. This leaves me one "play" sword that is good for permitting children and strangers to handle, test swing, etc.

Since Joe and Patrick have test swung and cut with the Steward/ Count (same blade, different hardware), I wonder if they would be willing to offer opinion on whether the Steward is worth roughly $120 more than the Next Generation Crecy? I realize that is a big question, but I don't have room or budget for a hugh sword collection! I would have been willing to pay for the Sempach, if the grip length had even remotely resembled the one in the painting (shown with the Landgraf sword on Albion's web site) that inspired the sword. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...f-xvii.htm

If production of the Steward is expected to continue until after the first Munich ships (I have reservation #2, behind Aron Shatterly who is reservation #1), I may wait to see how the Munich cuts before selecting a designated cutter.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
T
Since Joe and Patrick have test swung and cut with the Steward/ Count (same blade, different hardware), I wonder if they would be willing to offer opinion on whether the Steward is worth roughly $120 more than the Next Generation Crecy? I

Jared,

No idea as i have not seen the Steward.

Comparing the Count and the NG Crecy, which I have handled too, is hard.

They are very different in design, intent, and price.

Assuming I have money to spend, I go with the Count. The Count is much more interesting in person than it is in the photos, all the lines and details.

If I'm tight, the NG Crecy with the $100 anniversary discount until the 20th of this month is hard to beat.

So your question is spending $480 or spending $750 (or $600 for the Steward) if I did the math right... a tough call. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
David Lannon

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Hi Jared         Reply with quote

Jared.....I've got both the Count and the Crecy. Both are deverent animals and I like them both. For aesthetics, I would choose the Count, I love the faceted pommel and the detailed cross. For function, I would go with the Crecy. If I had to choose between the two, I think the Crecy would win by a smidge. Mine has oxblood leathe and blued furniture to "dress" it up a little.

Cheers
Dave

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Test cutting performance of Albion Steward or Count?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic