The storta--used all over Italy, or only in certain regions?
The only example I have ever seen of a storta is the one in the Met in NYC--the same one that appears in the book, Swords and Hilt Weapons. How widespread was the use of this weapon? IIRC, the one in the Met is Venetian--was this sword peculiar to Venice, or was it used in other parts of Italy as well? When did it first appear, and when did it decline in popularity? What makes the storta different from, say, the sciabla (saber) in Francesco Antonio Marcelli's late 17th century fencing manual? Can anyone post pics of other examples of this sword?

Sorry for all the questions--much obliged as usual!
Don't have really anything to contribute to the discussion, except to show thepicture of the storta in the Met for those who don't know what it looks like. Very hard to find any pictures of it, but I found this picture from Bill Grandy's visit to the Met. Maybe he got other pictures of it?

Attachment: 44.12 KB
sidesword.jpg

Stefan,

Thanks for posting the pic of the storta at the Met--it's a beautiful piece (as is the backsword below it).

Best,

David
David

I've seen some Storta pics at Czernys, see URL below. You'll have to search through several of their online catalogues to find them.

http://www.czernys.com/

Here's a pic as well.
Danny;

Sort of reminds me of the Arabian Sayf with some Falchion mixed in.
Jean

I'm not sure where I got the pic from, however I think its a pic of the same sword as the one above, the one from the Met. Museum, however I could be mistaken. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Danny
Danny Grigg wrote:
Jean

I'm not sure where I got the pic from, however I think its a pic of the same sword as the one above, the one from the Met. Museum, however I could be mistaken. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Danny

That's the one from the Met, yes.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: