Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > AT-1501 English Knightly Sword - Thoughts? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: AT-1501 English Knightly Sword - Thoughts?         Reply with quote

Greetings everyone,

I did a search on the site as well as look at the many reviews done, but didn't have any luck in finding information on this specific sword. I am (perpetually I fear) in the market for something new to add to my growing collection and the design of the sword definately appeals to me.

This past year I finally comissioned a suit of 15th Century armor to be crafted for me and would like something that would historically compliment the suit.

I will probably be going through Christian Fletcher to make the purchase. Based on the site this sword would fall in the category of a Type XVIII so I believe that would put me in the correct time period.

If anyone can provide some impressions of this sword I would greatly appreciate it. At the same time if it's been discussed previously (and my search skills were poor) a link to that post would also be great.

Thanks,
Dominic
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I can't speak to that particular sword how historically accurate are you interested in being?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Within reason I suppose if that is a response that helps narrow it down. Ideally what I would like is a style of sword that fits into the time period that the armor is designed around. It doesn't necessarily need to be from the same region as where the armor may have been crafted for example.

I'm also, as many are I'm sure, limited by what my finances can allow me to spend and the price listed for this sword and a few others with Christian Fletcher fit into that neighborhood.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There has probably been more buzz about that sword over at Sword Forum - www.swordforum.com - if you aren't familiar with the place. Do searches there using keywords like MS1501, AT1501, "English Knightly Sword" - you will come up with a fair bit to sift through

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Wed 14 Sep, 2005 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword has been extensively discussed over on SwordForum, so if you search there you may find some useful information. I have not seen one myself, but it seems to be very well regarded. It falls into the group of smaller hand and a half swords, being more of a one-handed sword which can be used with both hands, rather than a two-handed sword which can be used with one hand (if you understand my meaning).
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AT-1501 English Knightly Sword - Thoughts?         Reply with quote

Dominic Dellavalle wrote:
Greetings everyone,

I did a search on the site as well as look at the many reviews done, but didn't have any luck in finding information on this specific sword. I am (perpetually I fear) in the market for something new to add to my growing collection and the design of the sword definately appeals to me.

This past year I finally comissioned a suit of 15th Century armor to be crafted for me and would like something that would historically compliment the suit.

I will probably be going through Christian Fletcher to make the purchase. Based on the site this sword would fall in the category of a Type XVIII so I believe that would put me in the correct time period.

If anyone can provide some impressions of this sword I would greatly appreciate it. At the same time if it's been discussed previously (and my search skills were poor) a link to that post would also be great.

Thanks,
Dominic

Hi Dominic

Its been six years since the first EKS was made and marketed by Albion. I can't even tell you why the sword was named the EKS today......

Its the right period, but this would be a sidearm, a backup arm if you will. Its a bit light for full plate armor combat, though it would work well for the unarmored sorts running around..........

Really, for single hand weapons, I'd prefer to see a DN1532 or a DN1426 used. Hilts similar sized, blade lengths similar, but much beefier blades that would hold up to some heavy action. An AT1422 is a classic type XVIII that is also in the right area.....

You might also look at some A&A swords, the King Henry III sword is not only period, but would fit well for an English Knightly character. Same really with the French Medieval sword.......

I'm not sure of the names, but Albion also has a couple of classic XVIII bladed swords......

For longswords, the AT1517, or AT1520 would be ok, though the DN1508 would be better {thicker at the base, so the sword is heavier duty throughout}, then I have the new AT1567 warsword {type XVIIIish blade, 36 inch blade, 48 inch total length 3.5lbs}

A&A has a couple of longswords, including the "English Longsword", the "Black Prince", and the "Schloss Erbach".

Albion has the "Regent", and maybe something like the "Constable".........

Since you're willing to go CF/AT, I wouldn't go any less in the quality department. You may be happy to start with, if your experience is limited, but the better the quality you get used to, the harder to satisfy you're going to be. To get a better sword, "as a sword" {meaning functionally and balance wise}, the only way you're going to better the three manufacturers above is to go custom..........and even then it might not be that easy........

swords are fun
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll take a swing by SwordForum this morning to do a little more research on some swords that I had been considering.

Based on whats been said thus far I think I'll reconsider the AT-1501 and look into some of the other options listed above. Since this is the first time I am purchasing a sword at this level (cost, design, function, etc) I want to make sure that when I make my final decision it's one I will be content with.

At least for the time being, until the next thing comes along that catches my eye Happy

Dominic

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > AT-1501 English Knightly Sword - Thoughts?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic