Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Helmets for WMA Sparring Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mark Morris

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Helmets for WMA Sparring         Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a reproduction helmet for Western Martial Arts sparring. I am looking for advice on the best style to wear for protection and would like to find one under $200.00 if possible.
Thanks for your help.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
What kind of sparring? What types of weapons are you using? How are you sparring?

I don't mean to throw a bunch of questions out at you, but these are necessary to know for us to help. For what it's worth, I've never used a full out helmet, and have always relied on a standard 3 weapons fencing mask for shinai, rapier, wooden wasters and limited steel work. But if your WMA training is more focused on living history presentations, you may want something that fits your time period better, or if you're working on armoured combat techniques, than you'll obviously need a helmet that fits the particular style.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Illusion Armoring http://www.illusionarmoring.com offers a cheap bascinet for under $200. Only problem is, it has a bar grill. If you don't mind that, you're fine.
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
R Smith

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my opinion a bar grille bascinet does not offer enough safety if you are using steel or aluminum trainers as most hits target the head and taking a thrust through the bars sort of makes the point of the helm moot. What I had done for my sallet was had a strip of perf plate added to the occular which takes out the risk of a point passing in. I also have a hounskull with stop ribs spaced out across the occular every 6mm. This is much more historical then the perf plate on the sallet. I had a company in the Ukraine make that for me and it was only $200 for a padded helm. That company's name is Armour and Castings and they have established a good reputation. They have a web site.

I hope this helps you out.

"Those with wisdom loathe the one forced to defend." - Liechtenauer

Ars Gladii
Detroit, MI
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Mark! Welcome to myArmoury!

As Bill said, the question you are asking would benefit from a touch of clarification, as the tool must fit (or be overkill for) the application.

Light sparring at half speed with padded wasters may be possible without any head protection at all, though this is not how I personally work.

Full speed blunt steel free sparring would require far more than just any old helm - something very solid would be much preferred.

Here's what I use (or will be using) for what it's worth...

Light sparring, using wasters, boffers, or blunt steel (at slower speeds) is either a 3 weapons fencing mask (can be had for $100 ballpark) but doesn't offer any back of the head protection. I also add a firefighter's nomex/kevlar hood to remedy that. Another option I have seen is a lacrosse helmet, and these can be had with a polycarbonate occularium, so effectively you have safety glasses with face and head protection.

Heavier work, I will be using a more sturdy piece instead. Currently, I have a full 16th C harness in the finishing stages in Scott's shop at Illusion Armoring, with a close helm with an exchange visor, so I will have both the punched visor and the barred one. This is a lot more than your $200 budget, I know, but I'll address this in a second. Oh, and if I had the funds and level of activity, I would probably go for one of his klappvisor onion-tops.

For very heavy work, or for demonstrations, or just for training in armour, well, I'll have the entire harness.

The bascinet may still work, but I would discuss with Lynette (Scott's wife - very helpful) about your specific needs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he couldn't make appropriate accomodation for you to provide the level of protection you need - perhaps weld a perforated steel mask inside the bars, for example. The only issue with going custom is that you will encounter a delay due to shop time. It's been something like 10 months on my harness, and it still isn't in my hands. I realize things take time, and I want it right when it comes... waiting still sucks, though. Oh, and yes, there are a lot of other maunfacturers out there who can make something that will be quite suitable, too.

My bottom line advice is this... first determine just what it is that you need. Once you know what that is. If it's an actual helm instead of one of our more modern types (i.e. a fencing mask, lacrosse helm, etc.) spec it out (but remain flexible when you talk to an armourer - they know this stuff better than you or I do, and what does and doesn't work), then find someone you can work with to make it happen.

Good luck, man! And be careful!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Mark Morris

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Helmets for WMA sparring         Reply with quote

I want to thank you all for your informative replies!
You guys are a wealth of information!

I was not able to reply earlier as I had some family business to attend to this past week.

I do appreciate the questions however. They have served to make me really think about what I need and to point out some things I did not consider.

Thanks for the link to Illusion Armory. They look really great.

I am interested in really learning how to use swords. I would like to start with wooden wasters and eventually spar with blunt steel. That will be a ways off however.

While I appreciate the authentic look, I have no need for period authenticity in what I would wear while sparring. I just want to make sure my noggin is protected! Big Grin

I like the look of the grilled bascinets at Illusion. I can see though that one would need greater face protection when using steel.

I also learned quite a bit while at LanzeFest a few weeks ago in New Glarus, WI. The inability to see well seemed to be real obvious in the jousters and the combat demonstators in full harness.
I spoke to Aaron and Brad of the Racine ARMA group and that is why I think I want to go with a steel helmet. I think it would be interesting to compare the sports helmets though just to see how well they blunt the impact of a waster.

Thanks again!! Big Grin
Mark Morris

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Helmets for WMA Sparring         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy said "What kind of sparring? What types of weapons are you using? How are you sparring?"

I want to learn longsword and single handed sword and shield.
I would start with waster and padded weapons.
I would like to go full speed (with padded weapons and waster) as better technique is learned.

Eventually, some form of sparring with blunt steel would be attempted.

I also thought that it might be wise to wear some kind of gorget while sparring.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Helmets for WMA sparring         Reply with quote

Mark Morris wrote:
I want to thank you all for your informative replies!
You guys are a wealth of information!

Glad we were able to help!

Mark Morris wrote:
Thanks for the link to Illusion Armory. They look really great.

Illusion is one of the available makers... Unless you are getting something off the shelf, any of these armourers are going to have a wait time... Scott's right now is at least March, and possibly longer.

Mark Morris wrote:
I am interested in really learning how to use swords. I would like to start with wooden wasters and eventually spar with blunt steel. That will be a ways off however. While I appreciate the authentic look, I have no need for period authenticity in what I would wear while sparring. I just want to make sure my noggin is protected! Big Grin

Cool, and probably a very good approach. Bill had some decent advice - a 3-weapons fencing mask. I've had great luck (and deals, actually) from Triplette Competition Arms. I personally have a pair of the model 1999 masks that have seen a fair amount of action with no apparent wear and tear - with schlager-bladed rapiers and some waster work. Shipping and all, one would be around $100. That would get you by for a while, while an armourer hammered out your steel lid. Just don't get too out of hand - it is, after all, your personal brain bucket.

Mark Morris wrote:
I like the look of the grilled bascinets at Illusion. I can see though that one would need greater face protection when using steel.

Possibly, depending on how you spar, and how hard you spar. Again, if you shoot Scott and Lynette an email asking about putting some type of mesh like a fencing mask inside of that grilled bascinet, they may be able to work with you to create precisely what you would like to have.

Mark Morris wrote:
I also learned quite a bit while at LanzeFest a few weeks ago in New Glarus, WI. The inability to see well seemed to be real obvious in the jousters and the combat demonstators in full harness.

Damned hurricanes... I had a plane ticket to come up for that week, and stay through Lanzefest... Glad it was a good, educational experience for you - fun, too, I'd imagine.

Mark Morris wrote:
I spoke to Aaron and Brad of the Racine ARMA group and that is why I think I want to go with a steel helmet. I think it would be interesting to compare the sports helmets though just to see how well they blunt the impact of a waster.

You will want to take some time and work into the heavier sparring. Like any martial art, it takes a while to work at basic skills. You won't win any black belt tournaments after a week at the dojo - don't expect to wield a sword with any skill or grace overnight, either... I have been doing this a good while, and still rarely put a steel helm on. Oh, and sports helmets - I know quite a few guys who have used wasters or padded weapons with lacrosse or hockey helmets with great success... at least, I assume they were as crazy before they started pounding on each other... I've literally seen people use freon cans with carpet padding inside for helms (though it looks truly like crap). I wouldn't recommend this, however.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are intending to learn period unarmoured longsword, I'd recommend a simple fencing mask rather than a helmet, at least to start out with. Much better visibility than a close faced helmet, less encumbering, and a little closer to truly being unarmoured. That said, a mask isn't nearly as protective as a steel helmet, and they don't protect the back of the head, so you need to make sure your partner understands that (which generally isn't a problem, but it is something to keep in mind). Masks are generally less expensive, too (you can probably find used ones cheaply on ebay even). In my opinion a helmet is just too bulky and prohibitive for practicing an unarmoured style unless if you have one custom made specifically for this... but then you're looking at big bucks to pay for it. Steel helmets also tend to destroy wooden wasters and padded swords a lot faster as well.

If you want to practice armoured longsword, though, well, then you definately need a helmet... but you probably already guessed that. Happy I know www.fortharmory.com has come out with some inexpensive stainless steel helms. I think these are geared a little towards the SCA style of fighting, and are a little on the hefty side because of this, but the prices are just barely above the price you're looking at, and they look decent enough, particularly if you aren't concerned with total historical accuracy.

Also important is good hand protection. For basic stuff, I really recommend the padded sparring gauntlets from www.revival.us

Are you looking to join a group or start one on yourself? If you're looking to join a group, then I don't recommend buying any of this stuff until you find out what they use. If you're starting a group, then that's a different story, and I still think fencing masks are the easier/cheaper way to go. Just my opinions. Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
If you are intending to learn period unarmoured longsword, I'd recommend a simple fencing mask rather than a helmet, at least to start out with....

If anyone would know, it's Bill.

Bill Grandy wrote:
Steel helmets also tend to destroy wooden wasters and padded swords a lot faster as well.

This is an understatement. In the case of padded ones, always keep a spare roll of duct tape around, and plan on replacing the padding from time to time.

Bill Grandy wrote:
I know www.fortharmory.com has come out with some inexpensive stainless steel helms. I think these are geared a little towards the SCA style of fighting, and are a little on the hefty side because of this, but the prices are just barely above the price you're looking at, and they look decent enough, particularly if you aren't concerned with total historical accuracy.

Actually, the link is www.forth-armoury.com and yes, they do have some decent helms - a 14-gauge pigface for $240 is pretty good, actually, if the quality is there. Not having seen any myself firsthand, I can't speak for that... Vis is crap in these things, but you already knew that. Great protection, though.

Bill Grandy wrote:
Also important is good hand protection. For basic stuff, I really recommend the padded sparring gauntlets from www.revival.us

No doubt. We used to use lacrosse gloves. No matter what it is, getting rapped across the knuckles is at a minimum painful, and a broken hand or wrist is exceedingly disappointing. I've been looking at those gloves myself, and now will do so quite intently on Bill's recommendation.

Bill Grandy wrote:
Are you looking to join a group or start one on yourself? If you're looking to join a group, then I don't recommend buying any of this stuff until you find out what they use. If you're starting a group, then that's a different story, and I still think fencing masks are the easier/cheaper way to go. Just my opinions. Happy

Good questions, and well worth taking to heart in your decisions. Bill and I agree here (not that it's an uncommon event that we do Wink )... Training and study may require more than one tool. You already mentioned wasters, and then blunts. You'll have different weapons - it's possible you will want different helms as well. Styles and approaches are so different, as is the danger level (and need to mitigate). Using a heavy, steamy, steel helm with crap visibility to do half-speed waster sparring for unarmoured combat will actually frustrate you and take away from the experience.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I've been looking at those gloves myself, and now will do so quite intently on Bill's recommendation.

Hey Aaron,
Your lacrosse gloves are definately going to be better protection than the sparring gloves. The sparring gloves, however, I find to be very maneuverable (once you break them in), and are excellent against lighter sparring weapons like shinai or padded weapons. They're quite suitable for controlled waster work, but a hard hit from a waster on the hand will still break bones through these. My only problem with lacrosse and hockey gloves are the amount of bulk at the part of the hand that is near the cross, which is why I like the sparring gloves. Unfortunately there's always that trade off between safety and realism. I know Brian Price was working on a new light weight sparring glove that was going to be much more heavy duty than these lighter ones, but aimed at WMA practice. I think Revival's had some hold ups on getting those just right, though.

I've heard Cricket gloves work really well, but I don't know where to pick those up in the States.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Actually, the link is www.forth-armoury.com and yes, they do have some decent helms - a 14-gauge pigface for $240 is pretty good, actually, if the quality is there.

Whoops, thanks for the correction!
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Your lacrosse gloves are definately going to be better protection than the sparring gloves. The sparring gloves, however, I find to be very maneuverable (once you break them in), and are excellent against lighter sparring weapons like shinai or padded weapons.

Precisely the niche I was looking to fill. Typical fencing gauntlets work well for sport fencing, but against schlagers... a good rap hurts. I agree fully with your assessment of lacrosse gloves - they are just too bulky for much (but the only choice for full-contact work at the moment), and I will be trading them in on some fingered gauntlets one of these days...

Bill Grandy wrote:
I know Brian Price was working on a new light weight sparring glove that was going to be much more heavy duty than these lighter ones, but aimed at WMA practice. I think Revival's had some hold ups on getting those just right, though.

Some heavier gloves, with kevlar, if I recall correctly. Think the site mentioned a proposed release date in Feb... As you said, there's a balance. I wouldn't personally mind having 8 different levels of hand protection, as long as I can find a safe, comfortable, and useable "armour" for the level of activity. Under-protected, and you get what you ask for - injury. Overprotected, and you wind up unnecessarily sluggish, form suffers, etc. For me, at $45, they look like a good deal for rapier or light waster work.

Bill Grandy wrote:
I've heard Cricket gloves work really well, but I don't know where to pick those up in the States.

Hockey gloves, too... but those are also harder to locate, at least down here where we cut grass 11 out of the 12 months...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Helmets for WMA Sparring         Reply with quote

Mark Morris wrote:
Bill Grandy said "What kind of sparring? What types of weapons are you using? How are you sparring?"

I want to learn longsword and single handed sword and shield.
I would start with waster and padded weapons.
I would like to go full speed (with padded weapons and waster) as better technique is learned.

Eventually, some form of sparring with blunt steel would be attempted.

I also thought that it might be wise to wear some kind of gorget while sparring.

Sorry, Mark... I was posting when you posted this, and missed it.

Longsword vs. sword and shield/buckler really doesn't matter as far as helms are concerned - one will brain you just as easily as the other... just with different techniques. Still, though, it does help define your intent for us.

Starting with wasters or padded weapons for sparring is good. After 15 years of this stuff, I still use them often. Using a good steel blade for forms work and cutting is also worthwhile - and don't require a helm at all. It does provide a very different aspect of training, and also well worth looking at.

A gorget is also a good idea, if the helm doesn't provide that protection. I'd take a lick to the crown of my head in preference to that same lick to the trachea. In the case of a pigface bascinet (like the one in Bill's link) the attachment of a heavy aventail may work well enough - like 3/8 14 gauge steel butted maille. In the case of my Illusion Armoring close helm, it has an integrated plate gorget, so I'll be just fine for both head and neck protection with it.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An aspect I haven't seen mentioned is pain.
Personally I feel that a good hit with any sparring tool should hurt like hell. This really forces the 'victim' to perfect his moves quickly, both on a conscious and subconscious level.
Take for example the rubber-swords-that-don't-hurt : those can be useful for safely trying out techniques, but personally I couldn't care less if I got hit, and my subconscious won't blink either.
This encourages sloppy technique and motivation, and from what I've seen this quickly shows.

Injury should of course be prevented at all cost, and therefore some areas of the body can't do without good protection.
Safe really IS better than sorry, but don't go overboard on protection as that has some less desirable side effects.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Bill et. al.,

I'm a little bit leary of using fencing masks with longswords, particularly for the German tradition. If you strike a Zwerchhau from the right, followed by one from the left, the 2nd blow can tend to hit the right rear quarter of your opponent's head, which is unprotected by the mask.

I'm also a little worried about power levels and the mask itself. Like anything else, of course, you can do this if you use lots of control.

All the best,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Christian,
I actually agree with your general point. I'm actually looking into rear head protection, like the kind Sean Hayes uses. That said, I still like the masks more than steel helmets for general use, particularly with lighter bouting weapons (shinai), provided that, as you say, everyone has practiced enough to understand CONTROL. The amount of damage the mask can take, though, is very valid. I used to demonstrate to students the importance of control by taking a beat up old mask of mine and "baseball batting" it with a "safe" shinai. It would fly across the room and was completely caved in. Despite this, I feel masks are safe enough, provided, once again, the participants understand and practice control.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A bit off topic, but since hand protection was mentioned, I recommend police issue tactical entry gloves. I got a pair from Galls on recommendation of some other ARMA members, and they work pretty well. Less bulky than lacrosse gloves, still good protection and fairly durable.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mark Morris

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Helmets for WMA Sparring         Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the help on this question.
The members of this forum have been very welcoming and helpful.

My next question is... Wink

Is a leather liner in a helmet all one needs? Or is there a suspension system one can get or a padding system (like a modern day football helmet)?
I realise that one wears an arming cap but is more padding necessary?

Anyone have any familiarity with the Museum Replicas Kettle Hat?
Would a Kettle Hat be good enough for light or lower speed sparring with padded weapons and/or wasters?
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check here:

http://armourandcastings.com/catalog/product_...ucts_id=48

Great armour, great customer service, and super fast turn around!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Helmets for WMA Sparring
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: