Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Hello and an Introduction         Reply with quote

Hello All,

My name is James Byrnes. I live in Denver, Colorado. I am a collector/user of the European Longsword, specifically makes and models that best typify the style of Longsword used in Germany Circa 1400-1550. Yes I know that is quite a wide time frame, hence my collections equally divergent time frame. My collection currently consists of the following pieces:

Armour:
Revival Clothing Dagged Gambeson in Red( I am pictured on the customers page in said gambeson with my Tinker Greatsword)
In January one of my lifelong dreams will begin to be fulfilled. Patrick Thaden will begin work on a customized Proto-Maximillian Harness, circa 1505. The helm will be a bellows visored close helm, Gothic style breastplate( in the English fashion) full leg harness and fully encompassing pauldrons with haute garde.

Swords:
Tinker Greatsword-Okeshott type XVIIIIe, custom hilt and cross by yours truly.

Tinker Greatsword-Oakeshott type XVIIIe-originally ordered blunt for harnishcfechten-will be sharpened soon, too nice to abuse for armoured combat.

Atrim-1520 customized by Christian Fletcher- waisted hilt, hexagonal scent stopper, down turned type 1 cross, historical scabbard, due mid December.

Atrim 1562- Customized waisted grip in red leather, very sweet blade.

Heimrick-purpose built blunt for WMA harnischfechten.

Aluminum Waster-German Longsword trainer/waster.

Albion Armorers- Viceroy and Regent pre-ordered

Daggers:
CASI Crusader Dagger-First Xmas gift from Wife
Heimrick-Rondell
Khukri-Imported from Nepal-gift from friend who visited Nepal on a humanitarian mission in mid 90's.

As mentioned above, I actively( wish I could say accurately Big Grin ) practice Kunst des Fechtens( Art of Fighting-German Medieval Combat Arts) and am one of the principles of the Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild.

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Darcy Bicklmeier

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: i'm new to collecting...         Reply with quote

Hi! My name is Darcy. I'm a Supervisor at a chain of grocery stores in British Columbia. I'm new to sword collecting, but have been interested in them for quite some time. It started when I began fighting in the SCA...I was told that authentic swords were actually fairly light (3 to 4 pounds) and I could hardly believe it. After surfing the web, and learning a little about how swrods were made, and used, an appreciation for the worksmanship grew. I'm not quite sure how to start collecting, but have a few
swords on the wall...they're pretty much generic off-the-rack...

khukri
swept hilt rapier
generic small'ish cutlass

I'm beginning to find I'm more interested in the Dark Ages weapons. Can anyone give a little advice on how to get started?
Thomas Wright

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hail! I'm Thomas Wright. I am an MMORPG junkie and that is how I became interested in history and historical weapons. I have just started collecting:

CAS-I White Shadow Arming Sword SA3503

I'm hoping to add an HI khukuri and a falcata (not the Gen 2 one cause it's not curved enough) soon.

Thomas Wright
Patrik Frost

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all.

My name is Patrik Frost, caucasian male, and I'm 37 years old. I live in the north of sweden in a town called Skellefteå, that has about 35000 people. With me in my house I have my girlefriend and two cats.
I work with SW Design supporting GSM mobile phone systems (Ericsson).
My hobbies are medieval society SCA, crafts, listening to heavy metal music.....

In my collection I have:
- One Swedish artillery rapier with sabre handle, and metal scabbard, about 1900.
- Three Swedish sabres with metal scabbards, about 1900.
- One fencing(not sharp but stiff blade) rapier with cup hilt handle in brass. Replica.
- One Katana, traded from a friend. Unknown origin, but a replica.
- One home made "viking"-sword made by my self around 1992. Extreamly heavy Eek!

- One DelTin 2161 that will be deliverd i March 2004. I'm I right Björn Cool

Regards,
Patrik
In SCA: Patrik den Rättrådige.
Nathan Cole

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My collection hmm.

I have a darksword armoury
"Combat sword" with slightly drooping quillons and

I have a cas iberia:

Swept hilt rapier,
Arming sword (white shadow)
Henry V "Archer sword".
Arming dagger
Templar dagger.

I like the cas stuff because it is solidly built, not ornate, and cheap enough for me to buy.
But perhaps I should save money and get one or two really good ones.

I also have cheapo Ebay:
Scottish claymore,
" Basket hilt,
" Dirks,
" Skean Dhus,
and a few others.

I am finishing a butted maille hauberk and coif.

I have some nice looking not quite authentic helmets.

I am also currently taking sport fencing though if anyone can suggest a location near philly to take more classical sword lessons I'd be interested.
That's enough for now.

Peace,
Nathan
Eric Koeler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all! I'm a software developer living in the Big Apple. I'm currently studying karate and rapier (not at the same time, haha). I collect reproductions mainly because I'm interested in historical fencing, but I also collect antique edged weapons.

Regarding reproductions, I currently have:

- a Lutel 15001 Hand-and-a-Half sword
- a custom-made Spanish-style cup hilt rapier (by Dennis Graves) with a Del Tin FISAS blade
- an AT1312 London's Guard

I also have an Erik Stevenson Venetian Riding Sword waiting for me at home (according to FedEx on-line tracking). I'm getting more and more into the idea of collecting armor, but currently I only own a pair of plate finger gauntlets made by Marek and Jizba, and a nice stout buckler I got from Stephen Hand at a seminar.

Regarding antiques, I currently have:

- a M1811 Prussian light cavalry saber
- a mid-19th century German Faschinenmesser
- a late-19th century German-made Argentine infantry saber

I've had numerous other items over time (including many Del Tins and antiques), but usually end up selling them if I don't "take" to them.
Bill Duncan

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Yall this is Bill Duncan.
1. Atrim Swede
2.Atrim Terico
3.Cold Steel Grosse Messer
As Soon as Doc (My wife.) and I are done with her med school years I hope to open a sword and cutlery shop in San Antonio Texas.
I wish this a lot of good fortune

May you live as long as you want but never want for as long as you live
Dennis Holland

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all. My name is Dennis. I have been collecting swords (very slowly!) for the past 30 years. Unfortunately only one survives from my teenage years. I am partial to Cavalry type sabers, and I often 'practice' using my horses (I live in South Texas and have a few acres and two horses, along with pet pigs, pet sheep, many dogs, many cats and a very opinionated Scarlet Macaw). I am married and we have a 17 year old daughter. I spent 24 years in the service, retired (only got blown up once, guess I was lucky) about 3 years ago, I work as a Systems Analyst and Network Engineer (when I go to work - I really consider myself retired, but my bills don't!) since I tired of my previous job descriptions. I have not really branched out into other historical swords (yet). My current collection is:

- 1796 British Light Cavalry Sabre (Cold Steel)
- 1830 French Cavalry Sabre (Cold Steel)
- 1860 US Army Light Cavalry Sabre (unsure of manufacturer - I have had this one for more than 15 years, heavy, carbon steel , sharp, the only marking is 'India' stamped on the riccasso - it could be a Windlass if they made them then, I really don't know)
- 1875 USMC NCO Sword (display only -stainless steel) - retirement gift
- 1860 USN Cutlass made by Stanley London - retirement gift
- 1910 Patton Cavalry Sword (Windlass - a VERY good functional reproduction)
- Practical Plus Katana - Paul Chen
- Ritter Steel Competition Katana (NOT really a Katana even though it was advertised as one, but a very functional, sharp 'japanese-like' sword
- Display Japanese Daishio (purchased YEARS ago when I was stationed in Japan - looks nice on display, but they are only chrome plated iron replicas)
- A Middle Ages Fantasy Sword (I think it is spring steel, non-tempered, blunt, display only - it has cast iron fittings) that was a gift from my mother when I was 14 or 15 years old. It has been hanging on one wall or another since then (waaaaay too many years :-))
- a 1840's Indian Trooper Sword (made in India - manufacturer unknown, carbon steel blade, but very bad hilt and guard - I have had this one for at least 20 years - never attempted to use it on anything, nor would I even try - I did take it apart and found a very weak rat tail tang)

Next on my 'get list' (as time goes on - in no particular order, I will get around to getting them!)
- 1822 British Light Cavalry Saber
- 1908 British Cavalry Trooper's Sword
- 1796 British Heavy Cavalry Sword
- Last Legends MKIV Katana
- 1897 British Infantry Officers Sword
- Roman Gladius
- German Bastard Sword (looking at the A&A #081)
- ATrim Basket Hilt Sword

and whatever else I decide that I might enjoy having. :-)
Ross McCarthy

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My name is Ross McCarthy - I live in Sydney, Australia.

An apology to Nathan - I just caused him a bit of unnecessary angst as to where to post this info - sorry Nathan !

I only have two swords currently - a two ring steel swept hilt rapier (provenance really unknown but generally reliable at around 1690 -1710) and a custom broadsword with family crest (pommel), name & DOB (blade) (mine) and designed on the "Black Prince" sword. At the moment, I'm not looking to extend the collection but in the New Year will be giving a deal of thought to Manning Imperial for an item I have in mind.

R. McCarthy
Dan Zhao

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Dan from Orlando, Florida (USA)... I'm not sure where my interest in swords comes from, perhaps Tolkien's classic Lord of the Rings or Chinese swordfighting/kung-fu movies. Razz Besides that, I have nothing in my collection as of yet (except a few practice katanas). Mainly this is because I have no idea what I want, and a first sword would be a huge investment because I won't be budgeting enough to buy swords below once a year. If I win this contest, the Riding Sword would be a great way to start off my collection, in addition to freeing up enough money to buy another sword within the same month or so. Big Grin

Later
John Carney

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, my name is John Carney. I live in northern CA. I don't currently have anything in my collection, but would like to start. I am interested in how to use the swords. My other hobbies includ the outdoors, photography, history, archery.
John
Olgierd Pado

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!

My name is Olgierd Pado, I live in Poland.
A few months ago I became fascinated by WMA. I'm a complete newbie. I've been practicing
longsword for a few months now.
At the moment my collection is non existent, and I think it would be nice to start it with
THE SWORD Happy.

cheers,
Mark White

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Mark White. I currently serve in the US Army and am stationed at Ft Belvoir, VA. I've always had a fascination with knights and medieval arms and armour. I really don't have much of a collection. I have a pre-LOTR movie Sting and a replica Excalibur. Since I have happenend upon this site and some others, I plan on saving up some money now to try and put together a small collection. My other collection interests lie in 80s toys. I was a big fan of Transformers while growing up, and still maintain a decent collection to this day. Star Wars is another one. And I always collect books. My wife and I have a rather large book collection encompassing many different genres.
James Sharpe

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
My name is James Sharpe. I live in Portland, OR. I have been collecting swords for about 1 1/2 years.

My current collection includes:

United Cutlery Lord of the Rings Witchking sword
Marto Richard the Lion Heart Sword
Last Legends Ranger Sword
Atrim Type X

Also I am currently on a waiting list for a custom Damascus Bladed Viking Sword from Patrick Barta of the Czech Republic.

I am also interested in other historical weapons and armor, and collect knives.
My future collection is going to be geared towards a variance of swords from different eras and nationalities.
Chris Suson

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi everyone,

i'm Chris Suson, and i am a scripter for a video game company. i own a Windlass Steelcrafts falchion (and dubbed it Gregor). hopefully my collection will increase this holiday season Happy

-=> chris <=-

-=> chris <=-
Tai Tam

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am Tai from Chicago. I love swords and knives ever since I was a little boy. My main sword interest is Chinese since I grew up in the Asian culture. Ever since I have discovered SFI a few months ago, My interest has shifted towards western style swords.

I currently own:

a few antique Chinese jian
Cold steel Chinese 2-hand jian
14th century Medieval short sword
sword of Ulrich
sword of Tigris
Paul Chen Godfred damascus viking sword
Albion The Kragehul Bog Sword
Albion Gaddhjalt Viking Sword
and various wallhangers....
Paul Burns

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Contest Introduction         Reply with quote

I am Paul Burns from Los Angeles .. don't hold that against me...

I currently own 5 swords

Cold Steel 1917 Cutlass
Del Tin 2121
Paul Chen Godfried Viking
Angus Trim 14th Century Long Sword
Al Massey Mainz Gladius

though my collection is all over the place, my interests point mainly to the ancient European ( ie roman through dark ages ) to early Medieval period swords ( ie. Knightly type ).

Good luck to all and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and New Year. Be Safe and Well.

pb
Diane Larochelle

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: contests         Reply with quote

I, my name is Diane Larochelle, I'm from Quebec, Canada. I'm more interested in art and history. In my collection I have juste a wallhanger and few blades that I brought back from Asia.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Entry for this contest has been completed!

No new entries are allowed.

The winner has been announced in another topic.

Thank you to all those that participated. This has been a lot of fun. There will be more contests in the future.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
Page 6 of 6
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: