Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Dave Hahn

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Here's my go...         Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm Dave Hahn and currently reside in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I am a Certified accountant by day and a Thai boxer by night. I enjoy a wide breadth of gentler intellectual pursuits and believe that soccer is war, not sport.

The main focus of my collection are Del Tin's, A&A, and a couple of Albion marks. Type XII, XVI, XIIa, two handers and Celtic swords are my main areas of interest. I also have a number of khukuri's and a tinker clamshell. Additionally, I spent a brief period with AEMMA studying historical sword techniques.

-D

Try not to take yourself too seriously.
Joel Müller

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, Im Joel Müller and live in sweden. My intrest in swords in swords is fairly recent (the last year or so), but my i've always been intersted in history and historical warfare.

Currently I don't own any sword, since I'm not interested in a wallhanger, but something that is usable as well as of high quality. This means I will be spending quite a lot of money and I want to insure that I get my money's worth, and the best insurance for that is to collect as much knowledge as possible.
I also interested in studying medieval and renissance european swordfighting.

When I do get a sword, Im probably going for a one-, or one-and-half hander from the 15th or 16th century, like the Del Tin 2153 or 2160. This is unless i fall for the beauty of fantasy creations and get one Christian Fletchers beatiful leafbladed swords. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey everyone. My name is Joel Chesser, i am a 17 year old student, with a great interest in swords.
in comparison of the majority of you guys i know very little, but i am reading books and information on this site, and slowly i am learning more. My interests currently are collecting, although a friend and i are seriously considering starting smithing soon.
My current collection, is i must say, rather pitiful.
I have:
1. Agincourt sword from valiant Armory
2. a fifty dollar piece of crap from an unknown maker that recently broke. (this was my first sword)
3. a two fencing fencing foils and a fencing saber. For some reason though, I never have really counted these as parts of my sword collection, but i own them so i decided to list them.

As for my collecting interests... i made a list a few weeks ago ,that wound up having over sixty swords on it. Right now though, as i am still just a high school student, i am probably not going to be making any purchases over then MRL in the near future. after that though, i hope to add some DEL TIN pieces, several Albion swords, a couple A&A swords, some Angus Trim and one day i hope to get Vince Evens to make me a custom sword that i can pass down to my future son, and he in turn to his, in the old way. Big Grin
Well I guess that is pretty much it, good luck to every one and Happy Thanksgiving.

- Joel Chesser

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Ben Ellington

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey y'all, despite the fact that my name is already displayed I am Ben Ellington, currently writing out of Crystal Lake, Illinois, however I am a native of Austin, Texas. I am most interested in Viking myth and lore, and as such also in Viking weaponry. I am overall a fan of single-handers though, but have a very limited collection due to the fact that I am still in Highschool. Eek I just realized I forgot to mention that I am but 17 years of age in my email; sorry about that. Anyways my collection currently consits of:

LE Leif Ericksson viking sword from MRL (I think I was lucky with this company; sword is very well made despite what I've heard of MRL)
Chen Shinto Katana
MRL Early Claymore
MRL Spiked Flail
And my recently ordered pride and joy; Albion Next Generation Viking Clontarf
Also have a couple beater helmets and cheap daggers.

And I just wanted to add; Thank y'all at this site for making this contest; I am sure y'all will make one lucky person a jubiliant reciever of a graceful new weapon.
Ben Ellington

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoops! it seems that i forgot to mention my future collection interests. It will likely be a while before I can gather the money for another sword, but once all the hassle is finished regarding college and such I plan to add numerous works from Patrick Barta (his vikings are absolutely stunning), more works from Albion and A&A, perhaps a Cashen viking-style, and a sturdy shirt of Chainmaille with more helmets, shields and gauntlets.
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello.My name is Karl Knisley.I`am a welder in Oklahoma.My collection is always in a flux.Right now I have a custom Albion by Jason Dingledine, a older model A&A medieval sword,and a Patton sabre made by Windlass.I like and collect just about any sort of sword,then turn around and trade for something else.Its an affliction,I know.But its a fun one.Thanks.Karl Knisley
Allen Scott Adair

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Scott Adair and I live in Lubbock, TX. I am an ARMA member and my training interests are longsword, spear and messer.

current collection:

cold steel hand and a half sword
cold steel small asegai with long shaft
one mutilated helmet that was used to for weapon testing at the arma gathering this past June

Scott Adair
Philip Lautin Jackson

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I collect swords mainly on the basis that they fascinate me, and always have, as a collector, and, hopefully soon as a martial artist (I will begin Iaido training once we can find someplace to have the dojo) As it is I have a rather small but nice (well, I like it at any rate :P) collection, consisting of such:

Atrim/CF: Ranger Sword
Hanwei: Practical Plus Katana

..and a finnish saber from 1918 of wich I have become "caretaker" (it was used in the "whites vs. reds wars")

That's abou it I suppose, and good luck to all who've entered (especially me Wink:P)

take care,
-Philip

Tiocfaidh ar la
Jeffrey Hull

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: myArmoury         Reply with quote

Well here it is:

Make a post in this topic introducing yourself:

Happy Hi there! My name is Jeffrey Hull. I am a man who lives in the state of Oregon on the planet Earth. I train utilising the ARMA method. I like real life more than the Web.

Describing your current sword collection:

Arrow Replicas of:
OT XIIIa Longsword
OT VI Danish sword
OT V Anglo-Saxon sword
Crimean-Gothic dagger
Ballock dagger
Scramasax and handaxe

And outlining your collecting interests:

Confused My collecting interests are the sorts of weaponry wielded by La Tene Celts, the Anglo-Saxons, and the Teutonic Order.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Hull

JH

Knightly Dueling - the Fighting Arts of German Chivalry
Jeff Stewart

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: German battle-cake!!         Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Jeff, and while I’m not an alcoholic, I do have a puny collection of swords. I’ve been studying long sword with a small group for about 6 months now (give or take), so I really haven’t had the chance (or the money Sad ) to move my collection passed my first purchase. The idea was that I get a lower-end sword to practice with before moving up in the world, so I have an MRL Irish Hand-and-a-half (#1-308), which in my opinion would be better called a long sword. At this point, my collecting interests are rather specific, I desire to collect one or two examples for three purposes: long sword, sword and buckler, and great sword. Yay!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Make a post in this topic introducing yourself, describing your current sword collection, and outlining your collecting interests

Hi everyone-- this is quite the user-friendly set-up, forum-wise. I am very impressed. My name is David McElrea, and I live in the South East of England. Like many here, I have loved swords since I was a child. Alas, love or no love, I only have two swords-- one I won't mention (bought it when I was 14-- ugly Spanish tourist job-- broke within the first month), the other... I guess I'll say it... was a Kris Cutlery sword "Excalibur" model (again a teenager).

I am very much looking forward to seeing the new Atrim/Christian Fletcher Ranger King, and am more than a little interested in the Next Generation exclusives so generously shared with us by Albion Armourers. I will be buying my first descent sword this year!

I look forward to chatting with you all.

David
Matthew Garrison

PostPosted: Fri 28 Nov, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Introduction         Reply with quote

My name is Matthew Garrison and I live in the state of New Jersey in the United States (not far from the Sterling Forest if anyone here has ever been there). I haven't really collected anything since I gave up baseball card collecting and I don't think my Babylon 5 DVD's count. I am fond of swords although I do not have one. I go by my middle name, Scott.
Sylvain Dionne

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I my name is Sylvain I'm from Quebec, Canada. In my collection I have a French light cavalry sword (an original made in 1876), a Albion Armorer Crecy Grete Swerd, a US army WWI dagger, a British commando WWII dagger, a wallhanger made by Toledo. In a near future a pln to add to my collection a Del Tin rapier and a war hammer.
Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings.

Eric Meulemans here, resident of the NYC Metro area, still pretending to live in more northeasterly climes.

My collection, such as it is, is comprised of nothing of note, although I've been fashioning arms and armour on and off as an amateur blacksmith for about a decade. I've turned out a few good knives, but no swords larger than a Roman gladius, although I was pleased with them.

My collecting interests are, as with all my interests, rather broad, but for the purposes of swords and the like tend to focus on the period of the 14th C. where I find the greatest diversity and progression of development.

-Eric
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The contest is going very well.. Thanks to all those that entered!

It's been smooth on this end, too. I have a database in place that has been kept up-to-date upon each entry. I also have a program that will randomly pick the winner. This is all complete and has made for very little overhead on this side.

Rather than waiting an entire week to announce the winner after the contest closes, I've decided to announce it the very next day!

The winner will be announced on Monday, December 15th.

Here's the complete info:

Entries must be sent prior to Monday, December 15th, 2003. All participants with the most correct answers will be entered into a drawing and a winning name will be randomly selected. The winner will be announced on December 15th, 2003. Shipping charges will then be calculated, and upon receipt of said shipping charges, the sword will be sent out upon return from my vacation in early January.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Corey Gillquist

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: This site rocks!!!         Reply with quote

Greetings fellow arms enthusiasts.

My Name is Corey Gillquist.

I have been compulsively interested in both historical and modern military arms since I can remember.

I do not currently have a collection but if I win the contest sword, I may have to start one.

I must give praise to Nathan Robinson for creating this site, and to all that participate within it.

In researching the answers for the contest questions, I found myself lost in learning historical facts that completely intrigue me, and I have to thank you all for such rich intellectual stimulation.

I plan to spread the word about this site and visit as often as I can.

Best Regards!!
Martin Kyle

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello All:

I am Martin Kyle from British Columbia, Canada. I practice Kendo and I also study 18th Century Broadsword following the texts of Henry Angelo, the Highland Officer, etc... alongside the Cateran Society curriculum. I also have some background in Olympic-style fencing and unarmed eastern martial arts.

I have many different wasters but no "real" steel, to date, beyond 12 inches.

Martin Kyle

Three yeomen Wallace left upon the field;
Two were of Kyle, and one of Cunningham,
Who left, to follow Wallace, their own hame;

(Blind Harry's Wallace, c. 1475 AD)
Tim Merritt

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no swords--I could use this.
Tim
Juan Carlos Llaurado

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

My name´s Juan Carlos, i´m based in Madrid, Spain, and actually i´m in the process of learning bastard sword and rapier fencing at AEEA, here in Madrid.
I´ve been interested in swords and middle ages in general due to my youth spent in northern Castile, surrounded by castles everywhere.
My small collection is made up mainly from decorative pieces, due the sad fact that actually, there are no more traditional swordsmiths in Toledo, everything is aimed to tourism. There´s a chance that at least one will restart again the art, with due help and insistence taken from the members of AEEA (www.esgrimaantigua.com).
I´ve got a couple of florets, a wakizashi, a spanish rapier, a roman dagger, a moroccan knife, a Cid´s Colada replica, and soon will have a bastard sword.

regards
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos Llaurado

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding my previous post, where i mentioned on the hopeful chances that a Toledo swordsmith might restart traditional forging in this city, i´m including a link to the forum from our society, AEEA, (sorry, the forum is in spanish), that have a couple of pictures from one of the first works by this swordsmith, Francisco Manzano.

http://www.esgrimaantigua.com/forum/viewtopic...p;start=15

Juan Carlos

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
Page 5 of 6
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: