Two interesting helmets.
Here are a couple of interesting (supposedly) antique helmets. This is my favorite type of helmet and I find these very interesting, so I thought I'd post them up for comment.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
http://www.pbase.com/khp_plk/antique_armor

There were mentioned on the Armour Archive as coming from the following source:
Peirce, Ian. "The Knight, his arms and armour" c.1150-1250" Anglo-Norman Studies: Proceedings of the XV Battle Conference. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer Limited, 1993.

It's a pity they've disappeared into the world of the private collection since there are so few helmets of this type available for study.
Those are some pretty nice pictures there, Patrick. I've always liked the way they look too.
I haven't paid a great deal of attention to helms like this in the past. The nasal on the spangenhelm is much fatter and deeper than on reproductions I have noticed before, so I guess this would provide "more" facial protection. And the shape of the Olmutz is much more...conical(?), where I would typically picture something more dome-like. The mockup on the manniquin head with the Olmutz seems to offer a great deal of protection via the maille coverage around a relatively small face opening.
Nice pictures, they give a much more detailed impression of 11th-12th century European "Norman"-style helmets.
I haven't been to the archive lately. Are there any more closeup pictures of the spangenhelm - I'm interested in the details. Thanks for the pics, Patrick.
Jonathon Janusz wrote:
I haven't been to the archive lately. Are there any more closeup pictures of the spangenhelm - I'm interested in the details. Thanks for the pics, Patrick.

Unfortunately those are the only ones.
Very nice. The spangenhelm is especially interesting.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: