Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Took the plunge on a Tritonia Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard;

Now that makes " unfortunate " sense: If the last person touching the swords has the same attitude towards what he is handling as a garbage collector or baggage handler it's hard to expect careful loving care.

So I would guess that some of the people who left recently may not be missed as much as some others ?

I guess it's the old thing about a chain being only as strong as its' weakest link Exclamation

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys,
Let's not discuss someone's job performance on this public forum. It's inappropriate and could potentially open Albion or, worse, myArmoury up to legal issues we neither want nor need. Even if it doesn't, it's off-topic and not appropriate.

I would have rather seen something like: "We've changed some policies/procedures in our shipping department to ensure better care of outgoing swords. One of our experienced cutlers now acts to ensure QC."

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Howard;

Now that makes " unfortunate " sense: If the last person touching the swords has the same attitude towards what he is handling as a garbage collector or baggage handler it's hard to expect careful loving care.

So I would guess that some of the people who left recently may not be missed as much as some others ?

I guess it's the old thing about a chain being only as strong as its' weakest link Exclamation

I have to aggre with Chad on this one Jean.

It's fine for people to discuss issues they've had with a product, and for the maker to respond to those issues, but let's keep the focus on that area. We really don't need to make this a personal issue.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have used the Tritonia from horseback on two occassions - this blade was made to be a horseback cutter. It just flows out from the arm and takes the target in two with no effort.

Congrats on buying a tremendous sword!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Control         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
First, I'd like to apologize to everyone who received swords not in "mint" condition. That is unacceptable.

Our goal is 100% satisfaction.

Up until a few weeks ago, the final handling of the sword was in the hands of our shipping person, who is fortunately no longer with us. He was not a part of the production team -- a fault we have remedied.

Now, shipping is part of the QC process, with an actual cutler handling the sword before it goes into the box. If you receive a sword that is not in mint condition from this point on, please feel free to email me directly at howyw@albion-swords.com.

Thanks,

Howy

Howy,

If it was about 15 years ago I'd be up there knocking on your door for a shipping and receiving position. I'm sure you would be quite happy with me Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Re-reading myself in the context of your comments I can see how what I thought I was saying in an ironic way may have come out much too harsh when I was trying to be to clever or funny: My apologies, as these comments might have been appropriate as a P.M. and my sense of humour got the better of my judgement here.

( If you wish to delete the post or want me to edit it it's fine with me. )

Oh, well one does step in it sometimes. Blush

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Re-reading myself in the context of your comments I can see how what I thought I was saying in an ironic way may have come out much too harsh when I was trying to be to clever or funny: My apologies, as these comments might have been appropriate as a P.M. and my sense of humour got the better of my judgement here.

( If you wish to delete the post or want me to edit it it's fine with me. )

Oh, well one does step in it sometimes. Blush

No worries Jean. I also often overstep when trying to be funny. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry about the poor phrasing -- "fortunate" referred to the opportunity to use the position differently and fill it with a cutler, and did not refer to the previous individual filling that slot. It just gave us the opportunity to approach shipping as a part of production, with quality responsibilities and the ability to fix issues, rather than as a separate function.

I probably sounded a bit harsh because I am upset about the QC issues.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard;

Sorry also if it I understood it wrong: As the fault of the person doing the job in a careless manner, rather than the process not being optimum.

Somebody just doing a packing type job and not involved in the production or possibly not even interested in whatever he was packing on a personal level might not be as careful as someone invested in the quality of the product and the ultimate satisfaction of the purchaser.

So the issue is just realizing that the last part of the production chain needed a cutler.

This is the much more neutral comment I should have made, my apologies again.

Getting back on topic: The Tritonia does seem to be the ultimate one handed cutting sword, how does it compare to the Gaddjhalt that is also very much a cutter but with maybe a little more thrusting capability and a bit longer reach?

Ryan C.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Control         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
First, I'd like to apologize to everyone who received swords not in "mint" condition. That is unacceptable.

Now, shipping is part of the QC process, with an actual cutler handling the sword before it goes into the box. If you receive a sword that is not in mint condition from this point on, please feel free to email me directly at howyw@albion-swords.com.

Howy,

Thanks, this makes me feel MUCH better. Still greaty anticipating my Tritonia's arrival. :-D
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Sorry about the poor phrasing -- "fortunate" referred to the opportunity to use the position differently and fill it with a cutler, and did not refer to the previous individual filling that slot. It just gave us the opportunity to approach shipping as a part of production, with quality responsibilities and the ability to fix issues, rather than as a separate function.

Best,

Howy

That sounds like a good approach Howy. It can only help to have someone back there who knows what he's looking at rather than someone simply making boxes and shipping swords. Making it the last step in a complete process should help.

Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

That sounds like a good approach Howy. It can only help to have someone back there who knows what he's looking at rather than someone simply making boxes and shipping swords. Making it the last step in a complete process should help.

Hey Patrick!

Thanks! I think that you would be amazed at the changes here. Since July, we have streamlined all of our processes, almost doubled our daily production and it will coninue to increase, and streamlined and improved our R&D and casting procedures. We have also added some great new staff. So, you will see big changes in turnaround and consistency that will start to pay off over the next few months.

If you get a chance to visit again, brace yourself. Still a fun place to be (maybe even more so now) but it is also becoming the efficient "machine" it needs to be. We had a bad patch over the summer, but things are on a great trajectory now.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Lance Higgins

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Tritonia         Reply with quote

I would like to point out that apart from the cosmetic issues I mentioned which were disappointing, the swords did excel in the main function they were created for....cutting.

Aside from the Kragehul I ordered every one has been solidly constructed and wickedly satisfying in the cutting department.

Once I learned how to clean them up myself I had no further complaints about any other aspect of the weapons.

I am glad to hear that maybe some of the cosmetic issues that in the past have marred an otherwise fantastic piece may be a thing of the past.

Looking forward to seeing if the issues really are resolved when I place my next order. It will be nice to have a weapon you have saved a month's pay to purchase arrive as clean and attractive as they are solid and deadly.

L

Esse Quam Videri
Valerio Besa

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Control         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Up until a few weeks ago, the final handling of the sword was in the hands of our shipping person, who is fortunately no longer with us. He was not a part of the production team -- a fault we have remedied.

Thanks,

Howy

Hi,
that sounds good for me, I am waiting my new sword (Brescia) from Albion.
However compliments for your production; I purchased a Tritonia one year ago, a fabulous sword !!!

best wishes

Valerio
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tritonia         Reply with quote

Lance Higgins wrote:

Aside from the Kragehul I ordered every one has been solidly constructed and wickedly satisfying in the cutting department.

L

If you don't mind my asking, what was the issue with your Kragehul sword? That was one of my faves from Ablion's FirstGen line. I miss it!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Lance Higgins

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tritonia         Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what was the issue with your Kragehul sword? That was one of my faves from Ablion's FirstGen line. I miss it!

Not at all. The issues I had with the Kragehul that was shipped to me were as follows:

The casting for the hilt components was not the sharp clearly defined example shown on the site.
The details in many parts of the casting were distorted and run together like what melted wax or plastic would look like.
There were uneven depressions in the wood band at the top of the guard portion of the hilt where the wood and surrounding casting did not match up leaving gaps that you could see daylight through.
The pommel was loose to the point where you could turn it a little over an eighth of an inch in either direction and you could hear it rattle if you shook the sword.
The hilt components had several spots that had started to turn green already before I had received it.
There was a discoloration of some sort in the steel at the distal end of the blade about the size of a quarter or half dollar.

The gentleman that looked it over when I sent it back said he would have refused it also, and that they had had problems with the casting on that piece before and were looking to rethink its process. Albion was more than willing to fix it for me when I shipped it back. Due to all the problems with that one piece I decided to just refuse it and wait for the new and improved version as the Kragehul was my absolute favorite of the first generation. I transferred the balance towards a Mainz that was delivered In perfect "mint" condition.

This was quite a while ago and I have not experienced any problems to that degree since. And should they ever retool or rethink the Kragehul with the problems they mentioned being fixed and release it again with a good clean casting I will be first in line to get one.

L

Esse Quam Videri
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to add that one thing I admire more than anything is Albion's customer service.
When I would have propbably been thinking, "this guys on crack", they respond with, "not a problem Big Grin ".
Big thumbs up.
Now, I have often thought that the wide gaurd on the Tritona might be a bit of a wrist binder (or scraper). It pleases me to know that it flows as well as expected.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Ryan, have you received your Tritonia yet? Share your first impressions with us if you wouldn't mind. Happy

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine should be here late this week. I'm resisting the temptation to call and ask "Has it shipped yet?"

Brian M
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not yet. I imagine Brian will receive it well before I do (2 weeks at least). I will certainly post photos and impressions when I do get it, though!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Took the plunge on a Tritonia
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: