Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How seaxy can you get? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
They make a fine set. I actually like the bottom one most in style and the middle one second. The top one I like but it is a little bold for my taste. I like Jesse's stuff which is why I bought his seax shown on this site a little while back, and am hoping to acquire another one by a different maker soon.

Thanks, Daniel! As I mentioned before, all three have distinct feels, uses, etc. I would bet that each would appeal to others in varying ways, and that a big poll would put them about even... that's my impression from the responses I have recieved from folks here as well as from people I have shown in person.

So, you are a member of the JF Collectors now, too, eh? Brilliant! Which one? I've seen a few of Jesse's pieces since. Some of it's been through the pipeline... Wink

The one that I recall offhand is the one he made and posted the pics of the sheath for, but I believe there have been others he's posted as well. If that's the one, bravo! If it's not, well, bravo just the same!

One of these days, I'd love to spend a day or so hanging with Jesse in the shop, just to see how he pulls some of this stuff off. Descriptions are neat, diagrams as well, but actually seeing the work in progress... Another day of smelting (and cooking out) would be killer, too.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How seaxy can you get?         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I recieved a new treat today - a custom seax made by Eric McHugh. It's based on the finds near Birka - near where my ancestors came from.

I thought it might be fun to post a pic of it buddied up with 2 other custom seaxes made by Jesse Frank....

Very nice set, Aaron. I won't even try to pick my favorite amongst the three, since: (a) there is something to like about each one; and, (b) I can't afford anything new right now, so why choose? I'll just enjoy them all!
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words Happy

Aaron, you're definitely welcome to come by the shop and hang out. The plan right now is to have a smelt sometime in early November after I get back from my honeymoon. All it'll take right now is the ore and the charcoal. We have a cunning plan for the fuel..... admission is 20 lbs of lump charcoal! (a $10 value! order yours today! Laughing Out Loud ). I'm trying to decide which way to go for the ore.... I might get hold of some magnetite from a buddy in AZ, instead of the hematite we used last time so it'll have different trace elements. It should look really cool layered up with the stuff from the last smelt Cool

I have a feeling that I'll be stoked about smelting when I get back, since I'm gonna visit with with some of the primo shaft furnace smelters in the country while I'm there Big Grin These guys are the ones that really gave me the help I needed to get the massive bloom we got on the last run Cool

http://jfmetalsmith.com/
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Say, did that come with a sheath? Remember- 'Safe Sax' and all that... Big Grin
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Aaron

Totally agree. They all have their own style/use and I imagine would appeal to people in different ways. I generally find in most things I lean towards the plain and simple in design, very natural looking, but that's just my personal aesthetic.

The Jesse Frank one is http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ighlight=, which I'm going to use in the kitchen ! I must say I have a bit of a seax addiction at the moment. Just confirmed I'm picking up another one. I'm afraid to say which because Patrick is going to start gnashing his teeth and steam will come out of his ears. Razz

Daniel
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Uh oh, I know which one it is! Laughing Out Loud Patrick is gonna go crazy Wink
Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jesse

I know he is ! Fortune favours the optimistic is the lesson. I sent the email, he didn't think there was any point. Still, I'm going to drive very carefully and correctly if I'm ever in his neck of the woods in the US Laughing Out Loud

By the way Jesse, the draft is being done on our transaction. The more banks rely on IT technology and online-banking the slower they seem to get at doing at doing more traditional banking tasks. But being done.

I've heard of BBQ parties, christening parties, birthday parties etc but a smelt party, with an admission fee in coal...that's new.

Have fun on your honeymoon, by the way. When is the happy day ?

Daniel
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce wrote:
Say, did that come with a sheath? Remember- 'Safe Sax' and all that... Big Grin

My three didn't, Tink, but that's because I'll do that work myself - like leatherwork, so no issue there. And yeah, always practice safe seax... or you'll likely get hurt.

I was correct in which one Daniel picked up - that one does, and it's quite a nice piece!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel!

Oct 15th is the day....

Heh heh, the birthday smelt party is what I did this year...

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4394

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Frank wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words Happy

Aaron, you're definitely welcome to come by the shop and hang out. The plan right now is to have a smelt sometime in early November after I get back from my honeymoon.

Yeah, well, they're all true, bro! Good work's good work!

I'd love to make it at some point in the future... won't be in '05 though. Work, family obligations, and my personal shop schedule is way too ugly to plan on anything for a few months. I will, though, one day...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
Hi Aaron

Totally agree. They all have their own style/use and I imagine would appeal to people in different ways. I generally find in most things I lean towards the plain and simple in design, very natural looking, but that's just my personal aesthetic.

This is a feeling I understand, and why I like all three of these pieces, actualy. They aren't overly flashy - all elements are pretty simple. On the big seax, even the patterns in the metal are subtle, as the etch was not aggressive. It does, however, have a decent size to it, which obviously gives it a presence, and the copper spacers do stand out visually. The baby seax is quite bold - the patterns in the blade are blatantly apparent - and quite beautiful. I've spent quite a bit of time looking at the pattern here... Had this one been as big as the big seax, it may have been overpowering, in my opinion. It's just a neat little utility-like piece. Eric's seax, the bottom one, has a very subtle look from a distance, with details that really stand out when you pick it up and examine it. If not for the silverwork and file work on the spine, it would really be impossibly plain. I really like all of them, for different reasons... If I reach to the table where all three reside, I usually grab the big seax, and often to use.

Daniel Parry wrote:
The Jesse Frank one is http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ighlight=, which I'm going to use in the kitchen ! I must say I have a bit of a seax addiction at the moment. Just confirmed I'm picking up another one. I'm afraid to say which because Patrick is going to start gnashing his teeth and steam will come out of his ears. Razz

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Beautiful piece - I know you will enjoy it. Please let us know your impressions when you get it, will you? Addicted to seax, are you now? At least I am not alone in this affliction. I know the piece you are referring to as well... ya lucky bas.... er... you fortunate gent!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Aaron

Yes strong patterns and size are such an important balance aren't they, whether in metal work, leather (which you work with), wood or fabric. What looks good on small items may look overwhelming or crude on larger pieces. I had written a much longer post to you on this subject but there is something wrong with the connection and my email vanished when the connection crashed.

I will be happy to give any impressions (and photos if I get my hands on a digi-cam) of the JF piece and (At least it's going to a good home, Patrick) the Vince Evans BSW seax piece when I receive them.

Cheers

Daniel
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
Yes strong patterns and size are such an important balance aren't they, whether in metal work, leather (which you work with), wood or fabric. What looks good on small items may look overwhelming or crude on larger pieces.

That sums it up quite nicely, yes. I actually feel that the "little guy" out of these three holds it's own because it's so bold. If it were plain, a lot of the interest would probably be gone for me. There is a lot to balancing elements to get the right aesthetic presentation.

Daniel Parry wrote:
I had written a much longer post to you on this subject but there is something wrong with the connection and my email vanished when the connection crashed.

Hate that. I usually either write in a word processor or highlight the whole post and copy it before I post anything of great thought and/or length to avoid that problem. Murphy's law still catches me once in a while... when the site and my connection have been behaving lately, I fail to do this once, and BAM!

Daniel Parry wrote:
I will be happy to give any impressions (and photos if I get my hands on a digi-cam) of the JF piece and (At least it's going to a good home, Patrick) the Vince Evans BSW seax piece when I receive them.

Looking forward to it, my friend! Most definitely am. Nice additions to the "Parry Collection"!

Nothing like some vicarious seax! Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:

That's great Daniel!. I knew I wouldn't stand a chance so I'm glad your were able to snag that one.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: The BSW Seax....         Reply with quote

I almost snagged that one. It's a beautiful little piece.... including the scabbard.... very attractive, felt nice and lively in the hand, like a real working knife (which is what it is, really)..... nice....

But I blew my wad on something else.....

Big Grin

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Woo hoo... my Jesse Frank broken back seax (and it's a big boy) is about to go into heat treat!!! I'm pumped!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Woo hoo... my Jesse Frank broken back seax (and it's a big boy) is about to go into heat treat!!! I'm pumped!

Well, now aren't we excited? Wink

Jesse or Russ... you guys have pics of this bad boy at this stage? Love those in-progress pics! Might be a good inspiring pic - a new kind notably absent from my collection is the broken back seax...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ask and ye shall recieve...
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a side note it's about 30 inches long according to Jesse so I probably should be calling it a longseax?
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Ask and ye shall recieve...

Love it how things work! Big Grin

What is that, about an 18" blade? It is a beast!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How seaxy can you get?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: