Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Bastard Sword by A&A A Surprisingly Agile Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: German Bastard Sword by A&A A Surprisingly Agile         Reply with quote

I had a couple of very over grown zuchinnis given to me by a friend. Saturday 9/1/05, I set one upright clamped in my workmate out on the front lawn. I selected the German Bastard Sword so as to test the dexterity of the weapon on this type of application. With one quick horizontal stroke I sliced through a 5 inch thick over grown zucchini so successfully that the top portion remained upon the bottom portion having only moved an inch to the side. I was absolutely amazed, given the fact that this sword approaches 5 lbs in weight. This was proof positive to me that this sword is a weapon of perfect balance! I have to admit, I was very surprised, especially considering the target was precariously balanced and did not in the least lose it's stature on the workmate bench.
Considering the weight of this sword, only a perfectly balanced weapon would have achieved this. It certainly was not the expert skill of the executor, though I earned a black belt in karate a year ago, as far as swords go, I am only a novice. So, this was proof positive to me that the German Bastard Sword by Arms & Armor is indeed a superior sword, no two ways about it!

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cutting is a fun and educational exercise, and crucial to the proper development of skill as a swordsman. At a recent gathering, I had a bunch of WMA practitioners - they've been sparring for years, but none had actually ever cut. They all went away with a very different perspective of what these weapons will (and won't) do, and I believe will change some of the way these gents pursue their training, now paying attention to alignment and approach in addition to contact and form.

One lesson you learned through your years of dedication to Karate is: do it correctly, often, and consistently - this is the way to master a skill. You learn to be in tune, your muscles develop a memory, things become more automatic. Make this same cut 1000 times more...

... and no, I'm not belittling that feeling of a well-executed cut. It's an awesome feeling.

Here's a shot of me slicing a 2-liter Slice bottle with a Kevin Cashen custom piece belonging to fellow forumite and friend Joel Whitmore:

I watched the water pour out of the base of the bottle, which remained precisely where it was, as the top slipped away. I had an audience for this cut... and a lot of Eek! faces looking at me afterwards.

By cutting often, you develop good balance, smooth stroke, and precise edge alignment. You also develop a feel for the proper distance and approach for the weapon. I'm glad you had this experience, and that you shared your excitment with us. Make it part of your usual regime, and you will really appreciate it more and more. I cut often with my collection (exclusively Albion at this point in time, at least for swords), and have really taken a serious liking to the Brescia, the Knight and the Hersir. My room mate really has developed a lot of skill with my Ritter. Here's one of him decapitating an evil, dastardly pool noodle...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the A&A GBS. Such a deceivingly wonderful weapon. I regret having sold mine. Cry
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I regret having sold mine. Cry

Me too.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Bill Grandy wrote:
I regret having sold mine. Cry

Me too.

And I feel that perhaps I should have one... someday. It's the one A&A sword that I would want.

Their rapiers are a different story... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

How old is your GBS? It's my understanding that some years back they updated them. I've got an older one myself but would LOVE to compare the new and old side by side.

It's also interesting, I believe that every single person that I know of that has sold their GBS has without fail eventually expressed regret at having done so. Let that be a warning to you guys! Happy I won't soon part with mine, it's the first western sword I ever purchased and alson the only one that has the Arms and Armor makers mark on it. When ARE those guys going to get that die fixed? Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I love the A&A GBS. Such a deceivingly wonderful weapon. I regret having sold mine. Cry

Heh heh... I don't Big Grin Cool She's a great sword, Bill; buying her was the best thing that happend to me last fall. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

I had some good beginner's luck cutting with this baby. One of my best cuts was with about 3" of milk jug remaining on the stand and leaving less than 1" sitting there with most of the water still in the remnant. It's pumpkin season. I think I'm getting the urge to slice up some squash; I don't like squash.

Mark

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That GBS certainly has some weight to it; *beefy* as some would call it -- though not overly cumbersome. I can also see why it's so popular. A&A pieces are becoming more common at our Renfaire and most of those are the German Bastard Swords. It's not as light as the Black Prince and doesn't exhibit as much torque as their Eng. two-hander (that darn thing almost spinned me like a top when I first handled it!). But dry-handling the GBS will wear me out rather quickly and turn my forearms into jello, much like Albion's Baron will. Maybe I ought to work up my muscles and bring out my Schloss Erbach more often and give the Prince a rest! Happy

By the way, Mr. Burns, have you gotten a chance to see the reviews of the Arms&Armor GBS on this site?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've also been a GBS owner, and it is a great sword.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I LOVE my GBS. One of the favorites of my collection. Big and beautiful. I would agree that it handles exceptionally well for such a large piece. I can see why it continues to be one of A&A's most popular models. I can't understand why people keep selling theirs. Confused Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
It's pumpkin season. I think I'm getting the urge to slice up some squash; I don't like squash.

The GBS is an excellent pumpkin killer. Nice clean slices with enough weight to go clean through. Note the before and after pics from last year.

Attachment: 79.03 KB
The Implement of Destruction.JPG

Attachment: 54.1 KB
More Aftermath.JPG

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: German Bastard Sword / English Longsword Comparison         Reply with quote

I have both of these magnificent swords. The fact of the matter is, it took me two years to pick out my first sword from Arms & Armor, starting out with about 7 or 8, it came down to the two which are the title of this message.
I would describe the English longsword as being an extremely fast version of the German Bastard Sword, about half the weight. I do a lot of cardboard box destruction with my 5 A&A swords, in addition to the above mentioned I have the Knightly Riding Sword, Henry V Sword and the Italian Three Ring Rapier.
All four swords are incredible slicers, for it's size the Henry V is both a magnificent slicer and thruster. Now if you want to get into some real serious thrusting, you just gotta have the long stiff blade of the Italian Three Ring Rapier.

Something I do not understand, this is not a criticism of anyone, but why buy a sword and then sell it? Especially a superior sword like an A&A or an Albion?
Every item I have bought in building my collection will be in my collection until the day I die, then it will all go to my stepson. WOW, is he gonna be a lucky man when I croke! LOL

I have been in the Marketplace a number of times and I see people selling swords they have had for a very short time and I just kind of scratch my head in bewilderment wondery "why" are they selling that sword?

But heh, we are all different and that is what makes it all interesting, if we were all the same, it would be exceedingly boring. LOL

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: German Bastard Sword / English Longsword Comparison         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Something I do not understand, this is not a criticism of anyone, but why buy a sword and then sell it? Especially a superior sword like an A&A or an Albion?

Money, for one. I owned a Lutel 15018 briefly last year, then had to sell it to pay my rent...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: German Bastard Sword / English Longsword Comparison         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Preferences change and sometimes its the only way to get exposure to multiple makers and model while learning what you like. Its essentially recycling, at least for me. Besides sometimes its easier to get funds by liquidating existing collection than just pulling more out of the family budget.

Even museums do this to modify their holdings.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: German Bastard Sword / English Longsword Comparison         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I have both of these magnificent swords. The fact of the matter is, it took me two years to pick out my first sword from Arms & Armor, starting out with about 7 or 8, it came down to the two which are the title of this message.
I would describe the English longsword as being an extremely fast version of the German Bastard Sword, about half the weight. I do a lot of cardboard box destruction with my 5 A&A swords, in addition to the above mentioned I have the Knightly Riding Sword, Henry V Sword and the Italian Three Ring Rapier.
All four swords are incredible slicers, for it's size the Henry V is both a magnificent slicer and thruster. Now if you want to get into some real serious thrusting, you just gotta have the long stiff blade of the Italian Three Ring Rapier.

Every item I have bought in building my collection will be in my collection until the day I die, then it will all go to my stepson. WOW, is he gonna be a lucky man when I croke! LOL

I have been in the Marketplace a number of times and I see people selling swords they have had for a very short time and I just kind of scratch my head in bewilderment wondery "why" are they selling that sword?

But heh, we are all different and that is what makes it all interesting, if we were all the same, it would be exceedingly boring. LOL

Happy Collecting,

Bob

That's an interesting question. I've seen several different categories of folks.

1) Folks that are trading up. Some people trade up from low end production pieces to high end production pieces from high end production pieces to custom pieces etc.

2) Folks whose taste has changed. The first sword I bought was a katana. I've long since sent it on to a new home and have mostly focused on the high middle ages. However lately I've been drawn to dark age pieces and pole arms... Tastes change and with them collections.

3) People paying the bills - Sometimes folks get in a bind and they see that sword as a source of quick cash.

4) Fad junkies - Some people are always blown towards the latest fad. I can't tell you the number of folks that just had to have that Lord of the Rings or Excalibur or whatever style sword who have since sent it on to a new home because something new has come along.

It's all good and makes for good deals for folks like me who haunt the classifieds.

Russ - waiting for his new A&A Danish Axe that he just picked up for a song on the SFI classifieds... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: German Bastard Sword / English Longsword Comparison         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

As Joe says, preferences change as does taste. Not necessarily taste in quality, but taste in period. A lot of us prefer a particular period like, say, the High Middle Ages (my preference) or some people only like Celtic items. Others only collect anything associated with the Romans or the Vikings and will likely sell anything that doesn't belong in that place or period (like a rapier or a katana). There's the commonplace issue of money and there are those whose collections have actually gotten too large Exclamation and wish to downsize.

What I do a lot is offer a sword up for sale and, if it sells, use the money towards the purchase of another sword -- not necessarily a higher-quality one (like I've said, once you've experienced makers like Albion, A&A, or Vince Evans to name a few, there's no going back!) but one I would simply rather have. Example: I sold my Albion FirstGen Acre and used the funds toward a NextGen Fiore. The last thing I do before I put one of my swords up for sale is think long and hard if I'm really willing to part with it.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks For All the Feedback         Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's feedback on why they sell pieces from their collections. I guess what will happen to me over time is that I will have umpteen walls decorated with swords and other weapons. Sword racks and stands here, there and everywhere. LOL, oh well, will be a nice way to even the score with my wife of whom is into gardening and plants. We have so many plants in here, we are creating our own oxygen! LOL.

For me, and yes it is very early in my exposure to this passion we all share, it would just rip my heart out to part with one of my Arms & Armor pieces. I have to agree, once you've gone Arms & Armor, Albion or Vince Evans, there is just no going back. Though I never bought any cheap swords except for the Roman Gladius that was made in the Philipines, but for an import it is a high end sword, certainly not an Albion, but very nice.

I think of Arms & Armor and Albion as Mercedes and Lexus. Some people are a Mercedes person and some are a Lexus person. Both are of the finest quality, that is beyond any doubt or argument, for me, I will stick with Arms & Armor.

LOL, no I am not on any commission from A&A, I just love their stuff and customer service, I pay retail like everyone else.

Just some humor there.

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks For All the Feedback         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I guess what will happen to me over time is that I will have umpteen walls decorated with swords and other weapons. Sword racks and stands here, there and everywhere.

Want to compare living rooms? Wink Give it 3-6 months, and I will be placing 3 mannequins in armours, with Albion, A&A, and some custom pieces on display, and the rack-o-Albions still there... maces, hammers, axes, random bits of armour about... so yeah, I so feel your pain. What a wicked affliction, isn't it? Guess someone has to suffer - may as well be us. At least I have good company. Here's a portion...

Bob Burns wrote:
think of Arms & Armor and Albion as Mercedes and Lexus. Some people are a Mercedes person and some are a Lexus person. Both are of the finest quality, that is beyond any doubt or argument, for me, I will stick with Arms & Armor. ...LOL, no I am not on any commission from A&A, I just love their stuff and customer service, I pay retail like everyone else.

I like this analogy, Bob! I'm primarily a Lexus guy, I suppose, but parked side by side, they do look good. I'm glad that you and A&A have formed the relationship you have. I know it's beyond a customer relationship for me - it's a friendship with a bunch of the folks there as well. I don't have exclusively Albion pieces - all of my swords are, but I do have some A&A pieces, and some custom ones as well - my Lotuses, Ferraris, Porsches and such... If you haven't already, get to know the makers, Bob - the pieces become even more interesting when you know the hands that crafted them.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob,

I had a nice response typed out but the cyber gremlins ate it. Everyone else has hit most of the relavent points, so I'll just say, "you'll see". Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another part of this for me, is I don't want my weapons to overwhelm the space I have to display them in. I hate having them all stuck in a closet, but I only have so much space in my office. :-)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We're getting away from the original intent of this thread, but since the poster (Bob) asked the question, I guess I can answer it. Happy I've done a lot of buying and selling of collection pieces in my day. I currently have 7 swords, 5 knives/daggers, and a helm. I've bought and sold another 15-20 items since I started collecting in 1997 or so, all of lesser quality than what I've kept.

For me, I don't want my collection to overwhelm my living space. Swords are part of my life, but not all that I'm about. Currently, I have a display stand in a display case whose max for swords in basically 7. I want my collection where I can appreciate it, so I don't have a bunch stuff under the bed or in closets. My collection is at a good point for my lifestyle, it's also a size that meets the approval of my wife. Since it's her house, too, it's important that we're both on the same page about that. To keep it displayable, I usually must sell pieces when I buy new ones.

My last sale was of a sword I had only had for two months or so. I ordered it, and while it was on back order, I decided to get something that was more expensive, but fit my collecting tastes more. I emailed Mike at Albion to change the order, but it had shipped the day before. Since the desire to change the order and the timing of the change was my issue alone, I would never have asked Albion to take something back simply because I'm indecisive. So I put it on the market, took a loss on the sale, and went on with life.

Rough count of what's been bought and sold:
10 or 11 swords
4 dirks
2 daggers
1 helm
1 warhammer

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > German Bastard Sword by A&A A Surprisingly Agile
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: