Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Steelcraft War Hammer and Biter Additions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Windlass Steelcraft War Hammer and Biter Additions         Reply with quote

I wanted a couple of bludgeons, longer handles than the War Hammer and Horseman's Axe that Arms & Armor sells, but not pole arms. Also, something that I would feel free to use to slaughter boards etc. for the fun of it. The Foot Soldiers War Hammer $97.00 by Windlass Steelcraft through Swords of Honor and the BIter by Windlass Steelcraft through The Steel Source for $109.00. Both are made in India and both were much better quality than I expected, though I would not compare them to Arms & Armor.

I've already slaughtered several boards and had quite a bit of fun doing so, both are made with 6150 steel, though I am sure they are not very well tempered. First let me say, I would only buy a sword from Arms & Armor, maybe an Albion or two down the road, but I am an Arms & Armor man, feel a bit repetative here, I think I have already well made this point.

Just don't want anyone think I am gonna go south on ya here and start buying cheap swords. It aint gonna happen!

Actually, I have got the Danish War Axe and the Sparth Ace on my "want to get list" from Arms & Armor.

I am kind of looking for some feedback from you guys, good, bad or indifferent, on how you feel about Windlass Steelcraft.

Both weapons are 32 inches in length, again I was surprised at the quality, much better than what I expected, considering the cheap prices. Also, I had an itch to buy weapons and for fear of health (wife), knew it not adviseable to spend much. I go back into the buyers market in 2006. Edward III being priority # 1.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Windlass products are generally worth what you pay for them. They aren't the best out there, but their quality has improved enough over the last few years that I feel safe in saying that they are worth the asking price. I examined several of their Kingdom of Heaven swords at the Atlanta Blade Show this last June. Every one of them lacked the finer qualities that make a really good sword, but considering the price tags I don't think they were bad at all. If someone wants to try their hand at artificially aging things Windlass products are an ideal choice.

Hey Bob ever heard of Arms & Armor? Razz

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Wed 05 Oct, 2005 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Windlass Steelcraft War Hammer and Biter Additions         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I am kind of looking for some feedback from you guys, good, bad or indifferent, on how you feel about Windlass Steelcraft.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Bob,
We've reviewed some recent Windlass items around here, and they seem to be of better quality than in previous years and generally are a good bang for the buck. I used to have the Foot Soldier's warhammer. I bought it in 1997 or 1998 and promptly returned it. The wood they used for the haft back then seemed really light and soft and none too durable. The head and langets were fine, though. I've heard more recent examples use better wood for the haft.

Here are pics from the Steel Source:

For the price, they're probably just fine, or even better. Not A&A quality, but not A&A price. Happy My last Windlass purchase (though I later sold it Happy ) was worth every penny and then some. Their more recent items are intriguing to me, I just don't have the cash or the space for them.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a review of the last Windlass sword I purchased from MRL. I think the general observations hold pretty true for the other ones I've handled.

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mrl_alb.html

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are plenty of review of Windlass Products on our reviews page. Swords, daggers, and armour all seem to have improved over the years, and are good values. I was happy with my most recent purchase (which is in my collection and on the review page).

We haven't reviewed any of their impact weapons, but we would if someone lent them to us. People are always welcome to visit our Contribute page for info on writing up and submitting their own reviews as well.

Happy

ChadA

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the replies so far         Reply with quote

Hey Chad, those are exactly the two items I have. I had to buff up the wood on the "haft" (learning a new terminology here) on the hammer, the wood was higher than the metal braces and I narrowed the haft down at the handle end. Seems to be white oak but I could be wrong, not a soft wood though. As far as the Biter, the quality was a whole lot better than what I had expected. After slaughtering a few boards with each they both still looked brand new.

Fear not, in the sword end of things, I will only buy high quality!

Patrick, LOL at the "Ever hear of Arms & Armor". That cracked me up!

At By The Sword, there is a particular section Arms and Armour NEW where they sell pole arms such as gaives, halberds, prices run aprox $290 to $450. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks again!

Bob
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Bludgeons and Polearms         Reply with quote

Who else makes good weapons of these type?

Bob
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Bob,

I have a Windlass High Middle Ages dagger I am generally pleased with. It gives a good first impression but after a while you start to notice the little details that are a bit off. For example, the blade is not perfectly aligned with the narrow slot in the crossguard. If the slot is a rectangle the blade is a diagonal line connecting the corners. Just little things like that. Overall though, it looks pretty good and feels solid in the hand. The blade finish is nice and the wire wrap is tight.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bludgeons and Polearms         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Who else makes good weapons of these type?

Bob

Lutel's impact weapons are supposed to be nice. Del Tin used to make nice ones, but they're discontinued. CAS Iberia/Hanwei makes some, but I don't know the quality of them. Albion used to make a few, unmounted, too. Some company in Minneapolis makes, some too.... Happy

Happy

ChadA

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad's right about Lutel. As can be seen on my collection page I used to own several of Lutel's axes. I found them to be solidly made and a good value.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

Can't find a polearm you would like ? Well A & A will make a custom one for you if you have a design you like: Just send your ideas to Craig or ask him to design something for you.

I have a custom Langue the boeuf in the production phase.

Attachment: 61.8 KB
[ Download ]

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Austin Demshar

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Always wondered about this one..looks nice. http://cgi.ebay.com/MEDIEVAL-WAR-HAMMER-Steel...dZViewItem
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Windlass Bludgeons, Axes, etc. Replies         Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for the time you took in answering my questions and I feel reassured in my recent purchases. I had a serious itch to buy some impact weapons, I was wary but figured sometimes you gotta be a risk taker.

Arms & Armor need not worry, they will never lose my business, as long as A&A are making swords & weaponry, I will be buying their swords and weaponry, as money permits. I just wanted to get a couple of beater impact weapons that would not be costly, swords are my priority that is for sure. And like I said, next year Edward III, St. Maurice, Black Prince and or the 12th Century Sword are on my "to acquire" list. Then there's the Oakeshott Sword, German Rapier (wife), 15th Century "BEAST" Two Hander, ah well you know the scoop, I could go on and on! LOL!

By the way, 5 of the books I ordered came today, 3 by Oakeshott, 1 by Burton, and the Rapier Fencing book by the same guy that did the Italian Rapier book. Fabris? Or something like that, books are downstairs.

Can't begin to tell ya how much I LOVE that Italian Three Ring Rapier by A&A. Though one thing I have learned about myself "so far" (though I am still in my infancy in this wonderful passion we all share) I am a sword person, but I would not ever be without this rapier!

This goes to everyone that I have communicated with so far since joining this great website. I have met some really great friends. But I guess that should be no big surprise, as a sword is spiritual, it represents honor, dignity, courage, character, and as one would expect it attracts that kind of a person. Which is quite evident by everyone I have encountered here at myArmoury, as well as the people at Arms & Armor!

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Chad's right about Lutel. As can be seen on my collection page I used to own several of Lutel's axes. I found them to be solidly made and a good value.

Not the 20011, by any chance? I've been curious about that one...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Which one is that?

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

Which one is that?

This one...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I have this Lutel hammer sitting at the house right now, waiting for me to get back in. Our beloved USPS delivered about 2 hours after I left for offshore for 2 weeks... WTF?!

I'll share my impressions when I get to check it out.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bludgeons and Polearms         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Albion used to make a few, unmounted, too.

Albion does still make some axe heads and a hammer head: http://www.albion-swords.com/axes.htm

Happy

ChadA

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm and those axe heads etc. are pretty darned cheap too... Thanks Chad! I've only got into things non-swordy lately so I've still not realized all the vendors.

Hey Patrick,

Have you ever done any cutting with your Danish Axe? Mine just showed up yesterday and I'm very tempted to try it...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob, I can't speak to the Windlass weapons but Artis who owns The Steel Source is a very nice fella to deal with . His store is located about 8 miles from me and John Gage who now works at Albion used to sell through him when he lived here. If theres something on the Steel Source site some ones curious about I could probably stop by his store and "hands on"it and give them a little feed back.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Steelcraft War Hammer and Biter Additions
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: