Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first rapier Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: My first rapier         Reply with quote

Well, I got this a week or 2 ago, and am just getting around to posting a couple of pics.
I have always loved the Arms and Armor rapiers, and have handled a couple, so I finally broke down and bought my favorite - the Writhen.

I realize that I don't know how to hold a rapier - do i use a "hammer" grip, or loop one or more fingers around something?

It is such a pretty piece, and close to flawless in execution. Another fine job by A&A!

Gordon

Attachment: 62.59 KB
Full Length.jpg

Attachment: 35.99 KB
Hilt1.JPG

Attachment: 33.63 KB
Hilt2.JPG

Attachment: 36.96 KB
Hilt3.JPG

Attachment: 35.31 KB
HiltFromEnd.JPG

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You lucky lucky son of a gun. Those are absolutely beautiful swords and I will have one oh yes... ahem.. anyway... on the Bavarian Rapier I've got you loop your index finger over the guard and it gives you a lot more control... I think this is fairly common for rapiers?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So pretty... Eek!

And yeah, you'd hook your forefinger over the cross. Or the fore- and middlefinger, one on either side of the blade, if you were looking to go Spanish style.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely, of course. As for the grip, it's much harder to describe than do, but you'd generally want to loop your forefinger over the forward quillon and wrap it around the ricasso, with your thumb contacting the end of your forefinger in some fashion. Whatever feels secure. Keep in mind, too, that to draw a long rapier you might use just a loose hammer grip because fingering the ricasso or even just keeping a firm hammer grip at that stage will put your hand in a very awkward and uncomfortable position by the time the hilt is level with your head (tip of the blade still in scabbard). Once the tip of the blade is free you're in something very close to a typical first guard position. That's no coincidence, of course. From there you'd usually move into a middle guard that allows the more comfortable and secure grip described above. You'll notice that this grip also gives you much finer control over the tip of the blade, which is the name of the game when you're trying to jab a few inches of steel into the most attractive targets– eyes, throat, heart, groin, hands, etc. This particular rapier appears to have more potential cutting capability than some, but I can't imagine that it would have enough that you'd want to sacrifice tip control in favor of a hammer grip that would theoretically allow you to put more power into a slashing or hacking blow. Stab, stab, stab, and do it accurately.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My first rapier         Reply with quote

Gordon, that's simply stunning! For a great quick intro to the rapier, including how to hold it and basic footwork, check out this article [url]http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_arms_rapier.html [/url] by Bill Grandy.
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford

Last edited by Pamela Muir on Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Gordon! That's one of A&A's best pieces IMHO. However, if I ever buy another rapier I may go with their Musketeer.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please see our article Call to Arms: The Italian Rapier for a discussion and illustration of how to hold the rapier.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, congrats!

I've been intrigued by this one quite a bit myself... Still leaning towards the German Rapier & Dagger for my "gotta have a rapier" solution, but this has me thinking. Pics are much appreciated - the more views and angles I get of these pieces, the better I am able to appreciate the work.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice ! Love the hilt work. In addition to what people said above about looping, the angle of the hand is important.... think hand-shake rather than hammer.

The point Sean brought up above about drawing the rapier brings me to a question that has always puzzled me. When you get rapiers particularly Italian ones with a blade length around or exceeding 40 inches, how do you draw it ? I tried this with rapiers I've had (delicately) and a friend's replica rapier and even pushing the scabbard backwards with the left hand, it's quite a chore to draw a blade of that length due to the limitations of your arm length. I'm not a particularly long-limbed person but I'm 6" and I understand people of Elizabethan and Jacobean times were a tad shorter than now. The easiest way seemed to be to take the rapier off whatever suspension it was on and draw it that way.

Anyone have any insights into this ?

Daniel
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Please see our article Call to Arms: The Italian Rapier for a discussion and illustration of how to hold the rapier.

Thanks Nathan and Pamela - I did not pay much attention to that when it came out, I'm sure. Nice article Bill!

And thanks to the rest of you as well, I'm very pleased with it. I think the A&A production rapiers are a really good value. I got to see some of the lovely custom rapiers owned by Bill Grandy awhile back and also his A&A Milanese Rapier. While the custom ones (one by A&A and one by Erik Stevenson) were really really nice, I thought that it was very difficult to separate them in terms of fit, finish, and overall quality from the production A&A rapier. I have much the same impression of the Writhen - difficult for me to see how you could get a much nicer piece.

I have two production A&A swords, and like them quite a lot, but their rapiers seem a half step up to me even over those high standards.

Gordon
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
The easiest way seemed to be to take the rapier off whatever suspension it was on and draw it that way.

Anyone have any insights into this ?

Travel in pairs, draw your buddy's?

Ok... Perhaps not.

Where did you have the mouth of the scabbard? Some of the suspensions I have seen hang quite low, which would give you a good 6-8 inches of draw... one possibility, I suppose... semi-educated guess...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taking it off really isn't neccesary if the hanger is period correct. Most of them hang pretty low on the leg. This gives quite a bit more drawing room. Regardless of the period, if you examine period artwork you'll see that the sword is never sinched tightly up to the waist.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Patrick said, drawing a long rapier isn't that big of a deal when worn correctly. Study period artwork--especially portraits--to see how it is supposed to be worn. There are a lot of examples in our photo albums. I'm not tall, nor are my arms very long, yet have had no problem drawing a 44" long bladed rapier. No big deal.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Cameron A

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow, that is a really nice rapier, the quillons and such look really nice with the twisted look. Although I think my need-to-get rapier from A&A is probobly the milanese.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Congratulations Gordon on an Excellent Choice         Reply with quote

That is one classy rapier! As you may know, I have the Arms & Armor Italian Three Ring Rapier, on mine you stick the index finger into the bottom loop and you can put your thumb on the top of the blade at the quillon, this increases point control. I have seen the Writhen at the Renaissance Faire, so I know how beautiful it is in real life.
My wife wants the German Rapier somewhere down the road, which is another dressed up rapier. I had started to identify myself as soley a sword man, then one day on a call to Arms & Armor, I found out there was an Italian 3 ring just a day or two from being finished, so I jumped on it! The longer I have it, the more I love it, as a matter of fact I just got the scabbard for it yesterday. Already had the belt, frog and strap for it, just needed the scabbard. So as of today, I was finally able to start practicing the drawing of the rapier.
Your gonna love that rapier more and more!

Congratulations!

Bob
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys,

When I said take off the suspension I wasn't suggesting that was the authentic or recommended method, just that I found it almost simple compared to the awkwardness of drawing from the hip. Not that I'm a re-enactment person so the occasions I attempted to do so are , to be honest, few and far between.

I am aware of the proper way to wear the rapier and have obtained a lot of useful insight via the National Portrait Gallery here which is great for showing both the swords and the contemporary style of wear and National Trust places over here which often have good portait examples, and other galleries in France and Holland when I had the chance on business trips and friends who work for Shakespearean theatre, so that's not the issue . Probably it's my poor technique and lack of practice. But I still find it rather awkward. But if you guys don't, it is as i suspected down to me.

By the way Nathan on your recent Wallace Collection trip did you see the really, really long rapier ? Haven't been for a few months and they occasionally move things around but usually it's in the first case on the right in the first room at the far end of that case, in the case opposite to the cup-hilt with no knuckle bow that Oakshott descibed as an oversized fencing foil (if that makes sense !) . Always wondered what the fencing strategy was behind that one. I mean there's reach and then there's just downright unwieldy.

Daniel
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All of the A&A rapiers are very nice, and each has a unique personality all its own.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

The Dresden, Cavalier rapiers and the Town Guard sword are all very sword like in blade.

I'm very attracted to the Cavalier myself: Wonder how it would work for a left hander ? A mirror image left hand custom version might be interesting! I think this is one of those rapiers that has to be used with the hand it's designed for, usually the right as you guys are in the majority Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are one lucky person Gordon......great choice in rapier!!!!

Helen

-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, the Writhen is one of my favorite rapiers! I used to not really care for it until I got to see one in person and then... wow... it lept onto my "must have" list. It literally glitters in the light. Congrats, Gordon! I think you're spot on about the level of quality of the A&A production rapiers vs. custom: there isn't much of a difference in quality other than that a custom is one of a kind.

Daniel,
As mentioned, the proper suspension makes a difference. How tall are you? Is a 40" blade too long for you?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first rapier
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: