Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ordered a Sovereign! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Derek M

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Ordered a Sovereign!         Reply with quote

I spoke to Mike at Albion today, and thanks to the review by Bill, and , a look at Chad's collection, I took the plunge and went for the sword of my dreams---The Sovereign, with bronze pommel. Looking forward to that WOW Bill. I got on the list for a scabbard too. Gonna be the longest 4 weeks , hey Chad how's it handle.

I just started to collect last year . All I have so far is an Angel sword "renaissance sword "which is not a replica, but it's sure beautiful and handles like pointing my finger. I also have a south tower armouring guild "bastard "which I got for sparring but is probably better for stage as it is heavy and handles like ..well, I like it just the same( I'm not afraid to work on it ).

With the Sovereign I hope to add shear power to my angel's deadly grace and my.....duh whears da beach bastard
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an unsolicited opinion, I don't know that I'd call the Sovereign a a power sword. To me, its really just a nasty little cuss.

Its just opinion, but when you talk power, I think longsword. Something that can hit with the grace and power of a battleship.

Big and mean with reach.

The Sovereign is more in your face. Dodge/deflect step inside, then ruin somebody's day.

Perhaps more like a destroyer.

The longsword or battlewagon can reach out a hit hard from a distance. It can play inside too, but really shows its power a bit farther out. The Soveriegn has destroyer range, it has to get inside the power arch of the bigger sword, or ship in my analogy. Still like a detroyer on a torpedo run, the Sovereign can turn the tables really quick when it does.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but it may be the best I can describe things.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Derek,
Firstly, welcome to the forums (since this is your first post)! Happy Second, since your post has to do with a historic weapon, I've moved it here to the Historical Arms Talk forum. I also cleaned up the topic title a little.

Congrats on your purchase! The Sovereign is my favorite sword, though second place seems to be a 3-way tie (at least) these days. Unlike Joe, I would call it a power sword. It is brutal and nasty and wicked and up-close-and-personal. What it lacks in reach, style, and grace it more than makes up for with shear brutishness. Joe's actually cut with mine and I respect his opinion. I just think we have slightly different definitions of power. Happy

Just for you, I just took the sword out of the display cabinet just now and swung it around before I typed this. Happy It handles really nicely. I need to take it out and destroy something with it; it's been a little while since the last time... It is pretty agile and is quite authoritative in the cut. It's a good thruster, though its cross-section makes it not quite as good as the pointier swords with diamond and hex cross-sections (that's understandable and a characteristic of Type XIV's in general). If you're used to cutting with a longer weapon, the Sovereign may require a little adjustment at first. It's pretty short after all. Overall, it conveys a solid and efficient feel in the hand.

We seem to have discussed this little sword to death around here. You may be able to find more opinions with the Search function.

Again, welcome and congrats!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
... Still like a destroyer on a torpedo run, the Sovereign can turn the tables really quick when it does. ...

Strange thing is, destroyers came into being for the express purpose of killing torpedo boats— with gunfire. Cruisers didn't have the maneuverability to weave around battle lines chasing the nasty little torp boats who ran in to send their eels/fish into the battlewagons' hides, so a smaller gun-armed fleet warship was envisioned for these close-in and fiercely maneuvering fights: the Torpedo-Boat Destroyer. The dimunitive of that lengthy name has since become timeless.

Of course, if we're fighting unarmoured with a longsword, it's like fighting as a battlecruiser: the reach and power of a battleship, but you want to negate any incoming attack as best as possible because you won't survive a solid hit. Wink
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Sovereign         Reply with quote

Now that is one beautiful short beast of a sword! Perhaps a little different but another beautiful short beast of a sword is my Henry V Sword from Arms & Armor, of which I am just crazy about! So I know your going to love your Sovereign. Congratulations on an excellent choice. I am one who has a special affection for the short beast of a sword. An excellent sword, whether it be the Sovereign or the Henry V, to practice sword and shield battle tactics. At least in my opinion. Your gonna love that sword!

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your going to love the Sovereign I promise Big Grin

That sword grew on me so much that I can honestly say it's my favorite shorty.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got one. It would be a very good sword to:

fight your way up one of those narrow spiral staircases

help you get through a jam-packed castle gate

use in any close packed situaltion or melee

swing overhand and not hit a ceiling.

use with a buckler.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the Sovereign it's one of my faves of the NG line. I think it's a great sword with a lot of physical presence. Like the Regent, it's gets a "Oooooo!" reaction from everyone that sees it.

Cool sword, and I don't know why I don't have one.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Like the Regent, it's gets a "Oooooo!" reaction from everyone that sees it.

Cool sword, and I don't know why I don't have one.

Well, most folks, anyway. First time I actually saw it in person, I was rather ambivalent... but I did keep coming back for another view, another minute of handling. It grew on me, and now, the reason I don't have one is 'cause I just haven't got around to it yet.... yet.

This dude is a bulldog. Mean, fiesty... full of in-your-face fight.

Yeah, I dig the Sov too... and it's fairly likely in my next few sword acquisitions.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
First time I actually saw it in person, I was rather ambivalent... but I did keep coming back for another view, another minute of handling. It grew on me, and now, the reason I don't have one is 'cause I just haven't got around to it yet.... yet.

I had a similar reaction. The pictures on-line never did anything for me. Upon seeing Chad's in person for the first time it left much more of an impression. Just pick it up and you'll know why it's so popular. It's quick, powerful and feels great in the hand. It's one of those sword that you just can't go wrong with. Definitely on my "wish list". I'm just waiting for Chad to put his up for sale Laughing Out Loud Razz Big Grin

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Definitely on my "wish list". I'm just waiting for Chad to put his up for sale Laughing Out Loud Razz Big Grin

Yeah... I see that happening... Razz

It took some coaxing for me... but I finally saw the light. I needed a couple of days with it to start to wonder, then a couple more to think I might need it. I'm more of a longsword guy, though...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Sovereign (and also the similarly sized A&A Henry V) have always appealed to me. Congratulations on a fine selection!

Roger Hooper wrote:
...swing overhand and not hit a ceiling....

A big advantage for a bozo like me. My A&A GBS and ceiling have become a bit too familiar.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
I'm just waiting for Chad to put his up for sale Laughing Out Loud Razz Big Grin

Look for the Sovereign to go on sale in the Marketplace forum right after I sell both kidneys there. This one isn't going anywhere. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ordered a Sovereign!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic