Albion aexs and spears
am i just daft, or is albion no longer carring those awsome looking axe heads and such? i cant find the page. if they have stoped carring them, anyone got a leed on who does?
Chuck,
They still have them, they're just not located in an intuitive place on their site. At the bottom of the swords page, there is a link to them.

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Thu 13 Oct, 2005 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Re: Albion aexs and spears
Chuck Russell wrote:
am i just daft, or is albion no longer carring those awsome looking axe heads and such? i cant find the page. if they have stoped carring them, anyone got a leed on who does?

We have stopped carrying these particular models, but are working on a series designed by Peter Johnsson that should start popping up next Spring.

The previous axes were made to our specs (designed by Steve Peffley) and are unfortunately not available elsewhere. We still have a few odd pieces in stock, so you might check with Mike and see if we have what you want.

Best,

Howy
Albion
hey thanks guys. i was looking at this one: http://www.albion-swords.com/axes/amx0010.htm of course, it says its not in stock... figures. hehehe. guess i'll wait.
I had one of the Indian-made axe heads that Albion offered. To be honest it wasn't a very good piece of work, probably why they no longer carry them. I'd definitely suggest waiting for the ones Peter will be designing.
I would really love to see some new axe heads/pole arm heads coming from Albion.
Chuck Russell wrote:
hey thanks guys. i was looking at this one: http://www.albion-swords.com/axes/amx0010.htm of course, it says its not in stock... figures. hehehe. guess i'll wait.

I think that's the one sitting in the back of my shop... with the black powdercoat stripped off. If it is, you want it?
Albion axes
Hi

I bought an Albion axe head, skjeggoeks, one year ago. Though it has the generall correct shape, the blade is just an metal plate with an sharpened edge welded to it. It was all covered in black paint. I think one should consider geting a black smith to make one after on find if one should have "the real thing". But, I removed the black paint, brushed up the metal and engraved an pattern into the head and it turned out to be, if not historical correct and an real axe, at least an decorative piece. If you are looking for an viking axe I would unfortunately not recommend Albions present offerings.

I have attached a picture of the final axe head

Best Klaus
Considering the dirt cheap price they were O.K. but not constructed in an authentic way: They seemed made of a flat plate of steel cut to the shape of an axe with the hole for the aft made by bending the socket piece in a curve and welding shut.
With maybe an oval cylinder being the actual hole and with a triangular pieces top and bottom welded to make it look like a solid forging.

The transition from the part surrounding the haft to the blade part is a sudden bend rather than an elegant curve like seen on the A & A Danish axe: I could be wrong in my description about the details of how the Albion axes were put together and this is my best guess based on what I see.

Considering all the swords Albion has been working hard to get right, it's no surprise that their axe or polearms offerings have been slow to update: I'm sure that this old line was only a good idea when they were still mostly just distributing Del Tin swords and were not making any of their product in house.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 13 Oct, 2005 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Albion axe - photo
Hi
Your description seems tb correct. But, some hours with dedicated work can change its dull appearance.
Unfortunately my photo was not attached, but I am giving it a new try.

Best
Klaus

Attachment: 56.71 KB
Pict0034.jpg
Engraved Albion skjeggoeks
Klaus;

Great engraving job, I really like that.

Cheers.
Jean
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Klaus;

Great engraving job, I really like that.

Cheers.
Jean

Agreed! That's a fine looking axe.
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Chuck Russell wrote:

I think that's the one sitting in the back of my shop... with the black powdercoat stripped off. If it is, you want it?

Aaron, if Chuck doesn't I would be interested.
I have only seen 1 real Viking age axe and that was in Gothenburg City museum
and i must say that are the finest axe i have seen in my life, as work and style, i belive it's a type L
and when i left the room i was like drunk and my noseprint was all over the glas. :D

[ Linked Image ]
More info here

There was a nice Viking age spear to, a long one. :cool:

[ Linked Image ]
more info here

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: