Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for some help from you experts out there. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian Palmer

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for some help from you experts out there.         Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Ok, so ive recently come into a collection of swords that has been in my familly for a while, but noone knows anything about. Ive never researched historical weapons before so i figured id ask for a hand from those of you who have. I have taken some pictures of a few swords from my collection and posted them at: Sword Pics
So anyone who feels the urge can check it out. Any input as to history, time period, interesting facts, or value would be appreciaded, thanks!

Brian
Josh Brown

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm... 5-12 look like they may Malaysian in origin - the overall style is very similar to the classic kris, but they don't seem to have the serpentine "flamberge" type blade typical of the kris, which is unusual.

I'm sure someone more familiar with sabers can place the last piece in your collection.

The sword depicted in 31-34 looks like a spadroon. Again, not familiar enough with year/manufacture to determine if it is a military piece.

14-19 look like a nazi dress piece of some kind. I've seen daggers before, but a full sword is new to me.

37-42 looks like it may have seen some service, or at least been built for it. The rest look more like something someone would have worn at a parade more often than fought with.

I hope I haven't been entirely unhelpful - I'm not very well versed in some of the 19th century pieces.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first one is a French Artillerymans/Pioneer's short sword. The same type was used in the US during the ACW but the quillons were straight and is 19th century(1833 on the blade). The three swords of the Kris familly look good and the one with the small shell gaurd is especially interesting as it reminds me of a hunting sword and is not a feature seen on these types of swords. To the right collector they're worth some bucks. The German/Nazi sword is a Luftwaffe officers sword and does well on the WWII market. The shell gaurd hanger and the lion's head what i'm guessing is a hunting sword look quite good to my eye and if legit are worth some. The cruciform sword with white handle appears to be a fraternal sword of good late 19th or early 20th century manufacture and is worth a bit to folks who collect these sorts of blades. at the time this was made the same folks who made swords like this we're making military blades as well. The cruciform sword twords the end is a Sudanesse Kaskara and a fairly nice one at that. These don't usually draw that much on the market but to the right collector ......The curved sword twords the end has a WWII German officers look to it but I didn't see any marks to tell me for sure.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian;

Josh and Allan have done a good job in getting you started, I'll just add a few things that I know to it.

The first one, as Allan said, is a French Heavy Artillery short sword, made at Chatellrault in 1833. The US copied it in the form of the pattern of 1832, but with some changes to the grip casting.

Then some Indonesian/Filipino Krises and daggers

The sword with the swastika's is of course a Nazi sword of some sort. I'm tempted to say Luftwaffe, but I don't know for certain by any means.

The sword made in Philidelphia, with the red crosses on it, is a Knights of Columbus fraternal sword.

The sword with the "running wolf" mark is quite interesting, I would suggest that it's a hunting sword, or a few other possibilites come to mind. Nifty sword, in any event.

Next with the double eagle is a hunting sword of Germanic manufacture, perhaps for the Imperial Russian trade. (I can't exactly tell the difference between Imperial Russian Double Eagles and Imperial German Double Eagles, and Imperial Austrian Double Eagles...)

The cross-hilted broadsword looks to be, as Allan suggested, a Sudanese Kaskara.

The last one, the light dress sabre with a crown over a pair of hammers stymies me. Looks just like the late-German Imperial-to-Nazi dress sabres, but with a crown, over hammers? Strange indeed. Hopefully one of our other correspondents knows the answer to this mystery!

Good luck,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Sword Inheritance         Reply with quote

Well I am no expert, actually I am in the early learning stages. But hey, if the swords are a problem, feel free to email me for my home address, I'll take them off your hands! LOL!

Enjoy!

Bob
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword shown in 31 and 32 may be an English military hanger from the first half of the 1700s. I say "may be", because when Samuel Harvey used his running fox stamp, he only had his initials in the body of the fox. The fox's style just doesn't look right either. This sword could be a 20th century repro. However, I don't have many references here with me, so if someone can come up with a documented Harvey's fox stamp with his name in it, we can say that this sword IS from the 1700s.

The etched blade design of the double-headed eagle seen on sword 33-36 was found on Austrian blades all through the 18th century. The style of the hilt also looks to be from the 1700s, so you probably have a period Austrian hunting sword there.

Hope this is a bit of help! --ElJay
Brian Palmer

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks!         Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a ton guys, you have given me an amazing start. I will continue to research. I'll also continue to check back here for any additional input anyone may have. Thanks Again!!

Brian

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for some help from you experts out there.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic