Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > norman helmet finish Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: norman helmet finish         Reply with quote

I wonder if it could be historycally correct to blacken or to blue a norman style 11 century helmet.

My plan would be to blacken or cold blued it, while the rivets would be covered with brass rosettes in the same fashion as in the italian sallets of the XV century.

My reenacting company captain says that in the 11th century helmets didn't have any brass decoration, however if we think of the previous Sutton Hoo helmet or of the italian longobard king Agilulf elaborate frontplate we find very elaborate helmets even in a previous timeframe.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So few 11th century helmets survive that I don't think the definitive statement "it was never done" can be used for something minor like decoration. The surviving examples don't have it but since we're talking about a range of perhaps half a dozen helmets I don't think we can use them as a true benchmark.

I don't think a caustic or cold blue finish would be very authentic looking, at least to my eye. Bluing is the least effective rust inhibitor of the varios finishes, browning or a black-from-the-forge finish would be better in that perspective. Paint would be another option for a protective finish.

Rosettes around the rivets may give the helmet more of a Balkan or near-eastern appearance.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya there are NO helmets form 1066 norman invasion found. so saying there are no brass is a bit of an overstatement. now if they say no cause they havent found any say 100 years before or after... i could live with. its all in group rules and how cookie cutter they want peoples. if you got 2 helmets go for it, i'd love to see the look. hehehe
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
ya there are NO helmets form 1066 norman invasion found. so saying there are no brass is a bit of an overstatement. now if they say no cause they havent found any say 100 years before or after... i could live with. its all in group rules and how cookie cutter they want peoples. if you got 2 helmets go for it, i'd love to see the look. hehehe
e man

I will go for rosettes. After all I'm northern italian and I can't live without the finish of a celata (sallet), even if I'm playng a soldier of an earlier period.

In my hart I'm a renaissance man.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > norman helmet finish
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic