Celtic Weapons Museum
Hello everyone :)

Been a long time but am having plenty of work.
Do anyone of you guys know of a Celtic Weapons Museum that has a website? Well, that would of course be the best thing.

What type of Celtic swords are you interested in; for instance the earlier swords of the La Tene Period, Medieval Irish swords, Scottish swords?
Robert Zamoida wrote:
What type of Celtic swords are you interested in; for instance the earlier swords of the La Tene Period, Medieval Irish swords, Scottish swords?

Actually all periods. It is for a study case.

Thank you
A while back I had loads and loads of photos of the bronzies at the dublin museum which has on display many many different Bronze age weapons including rapiers, Leafies and axeheads. Unfortunatly This File went missing in a comp crash and no-one who downloaded it when I had it online sems to have kept it. I will however be visiting the museum in the next week or so to take some photos of a claymore so If you have any specific requests for anything in particular I could take a snap or two but unfortunatly The website, museum.ie has next to no pictures or info on it.

C
Ciaran Flanagan wrote:
A while back I had loads and loads of photos of the bronzies at the dublin museum which has on display many many different Bronze age weapons including rapiers, Leafies and axeheads. Unfortunatly This File went missing in a comp crash and no-one who downloaded it when I had it online sems to have kept it. I will however be visiting the museum in the next week or so to take some photos of a claymore so If you have any specific requests for anything in particular I could take a snap or two but unfortunatly The website, museum.ie has next to no pictures or info on it.

C

Thanks Ciaran,

I look forward to it.
Could you please provide the name of the Museum and the location - city?

Any Celt swords Museum that you folks know would you care to name it as well as provide the link to their website if they have one?

Thanks C and all :)
If you go to the Links page and click on Vince Evans' site he has some pictures of Scottish weapons from the Museums of Glascow and Kelvingrove, among others. You could also try Jake Powning's site to find out about the historical influences behind his work: www.powning.com/jake/home/j_homepg.shtml. For earlier weapons you could try the book Greece and Rome at War by Peter Connoly; in the section dealing with the Punic Wars there is a subsection dealing with Hannibal's Celtic allies, along with some good pictures of the weapons they carried. I hope this helps. :)

Actually the information given is important but I may have to visit the Museums. So the more Museums you all can provide the better. I am sure you will not regret it in the end ;)

I'll keep my mouth shut for the time being :D
www.museum.ie

National museum of ireland. Kildare st, Dublin, Ireland

Its got a fantastic collection of Celtic gold Jewlery, torcs etc. It also boasts a fine display of misc bronze weaponery and shields.

I would also suggest that If you may drop Barry Molloy a line, although celtic weaponery is not specifically his thing he is currently doing his thesis on bronze age arms and armour and knows more about this sort of stuff and who to contact etc then anyone I know. He posts on the ancient weapons forum on SFI. He is currently on a dig here in ireland so may take a bit to respond but He will be helpfull in your quest.

C
Ciaran Flanagan wrote:
www.museum.ie

National museum of ireland. Kildare st, Dublin, Ireland

Its got a fantastic collection of Celtic gold Jewlery, torcs etc. It also boasts a fine display of misc bronze weaponery and shields.

C

Thanks very much Ciaran,

I understand that it is a permanent collection, right? Would surely be nice to see some pictures you post.
Thanks again :)
Yep..Its permently there :-)

C
Hi antonio. Here are some Images. An extroninarily kind forumite, Fredrik, mailed me the piccies I had lost.

Attachment: 17.91 KB
DSC00019.jpg

Attachment: 9.89 KB
DSC00026.jpg

Attachment: 12.98 KB
DSC00041.jpg

:blush:

I uploaded them when they were up for grabs.. reading this thread i realised that Ciaran was missing them and PMīd him about it.
He now gets them by mail, as i donīt have any place of my own to upload them too...

- but he will receive them all eventually.

(Some nice things there, isīnt it?) :cool:
Ah, to strike at the roots, one must first find the source.

There are some interesting photos here; Hallstatt - Museum mit Funden aus der Hallstattzeit

If one uses www.google.com and enters hallstatt musuem or halstatt museum or just halstatt, there is a wealth of photos and links.

The migration didn't truly start there but it certainly was a place in time for many that were later spread.

I believe there is quite an exhibit in France somewhere and I'm sure I found it through google searches.
I really hardly save the links because google will do it for me. I'm sorry if that sounds mundane.

Thems my roots

Cheers

GC
Fredrik Hörnell wrote:
:blush:

I uploaded them when they were up for grabs.. reading this thread i realised that Ciaran was missing them and PMīd him about it.
He now gets them by mail, as i donīt have any place of my own to upload them too...

- but he will receive them all eventually.

(Some nice things there, isīnt it?) :cool:

I am extremly gratefull for your kindness :-)

C

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: