Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Squire Line Knightly Pics Plz? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Squire Line Knightly Pics Plz?         Reply with quote

Could anyone who is willing and owns one of albions squire line 13th C Knightly sword post any pics you have or will take of the sword. I'm trying to decide on buying this sword or dropping the extra money on a next gen. The problem here is that I can't find many pics of this sword besides the limited angle shots on Albion's site and a couple of other places I've hunted up.

I'm particularly interested in blade views at different angles, a couple good tip pics, and a side view of the hilt section. I'm just trying to get an overall feel for what this sword looks like before I drop any cash. Thanks a lot for anyone willing to help!

Jonathan.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Squire Line Knightly Pics Plz?         Reply with quote

Jonathan Harton wrote:
Could anyone who is willing and owns one of albions squire line 13th C Knightly sword post any pics you have or will take of the sword. I'm trying to decide on buying this sword or dropping the extra money on a next gen. The problem here is that I can't find many pics of this sword besides the limited angle shots on Albion's site and a couple of other places I've hunted up.

I'm particularly interested in blade views at different angles, a couple good tip pics, and a side view of the hilt section. I'm just trying to get an overall feel for what this sword looks like before I drop any cash. Thanks a lot for anyone willing to help!

Jonathan.

If you haven't already, you could try asking Albion. I've found Mr Sigman to be very helpful.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Anton's thread, comparing the Squire Line Bastard Sword to the Next Gen Mercenary:

The swords: http://www.ptah.demon.nl/Swords/1.jpg
Tips: http://www.ptah.demon.nl/Swords/2.jpg
Edges: http://www.ptah.demon.nl/Swords/3.jpg
Pommels: http://www.ptah.demon.nl/Swords/4.jpg
Grips: http://www.ptah.demon.nl/Swords/5.jpg
Guards: http://www.ptah.demon.nl/Swords/6.jpg
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

so the Squire Line swords don't have their grips covered with cord. i assume thats for keeping the prices low. i guess that Maestro Line will come with leather over wood too. i wonder if i will miss the cord when handling them. can anyone confirm that the grip is less firm with these?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jörg W. wrote:
so the Squire Line swords don't have their grips covered with cord. i assume thats for keeping the prices low. i guess that Maestro Line will come with leather over wood too. i wonder if i will miss the cord when handling them. can anyone confirm that the grip is less firm with these?

Did you read our Hands-on review of the Albion Squire Line Late 13th Century Great Sword?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jörg W. wrote:

Next Gen grips are way less slippery. The thin cord (and the thick cord even more so) makes a big difference especially for Sir Sweatalot's moist hands.
I'm not too pleased that I can feel the rather coarse seam either.
Gloves solve those problems though. (But not the esthetics)

Btw Albion doesn't do custom grips on the SL's, as that would defeat the purpose of the line.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Next Gen grips are way less slippery. The thin cord (and the thick cord even more so) makes a big difference especially for Sir Sweatalot's moist hands.

Please keep in mind that, aside from the cord risers, the Albion Next Generation grips do not have cord underneath the leather wrap. The texture seen on the leather grip is from wrapping cord on top of the grip leather as it is drying. After the glue has set and leather dried, the over-wrap of cord is removed, leaving a nice texture. The process would seem to take just about as much work as if it had a full cord under-wrap, but maybe they save the cord for multiple applications. This can't be easy to keep untangled, though, so I don't know.

For the naysayers, I just wanted to say that I confirmed this upon seeing a NextGen's leather grip removed and replaced with wire-wrap.

The Museum Line, however, has a full cord under-wrap on its grips.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have to admit that i read the review when it first appeared some time ago. i forgot about that part. so thank you for reminding.
hopefully the handling of the maestro line swords will be fine. however the grip is made i expect it to fit its purpose.
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too thought that i read something like "stabilized birch wrapped with cord and covered with leather.." on the NG pages. i might be wrong or did Albion changed that? at least i cant find it anymore, except on the museum line pages.
are both methods historical accurate?
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Please keep in mind that, aside from the cord risers, the Albion Next Generation grips do not have cord underneath the leather wrap. The texture seen on the leather grip is from wrapping cord on top of the grip leather as it is drying. After the glue has set and leather dried, the over-wrap of cord is removed, leaving a nice texture. The process would seem to take just about as much work as if it had a full cord under-wrap, but maybe they save the cord for multiple applications. This can't be easy to keep untangled, though, so I don't know.

Your description is correct Nathan, I'm sure you observed this during one of your visits. As to taking as much work as putting cord around the core with leather over that, well, that would be twice as much work, twice the cord. Also there is no way of preserving the string for a second use as it is covered in hide glue and dye.

"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is kind of derailing the topic (or going along with the existing derailment Razz ), but if you are concerned about the grip on the squire or maestro line (or even the next generation line, for that matter) swords, you can always rewrap the grip yourself. That is exactly what I intend to do when I order my SL Knightly (I'll gladly post pictures of it when I get it, but that will probably be several months away). For those of you who haven't seen the information that Sean Flynt posted about grip wrapping, check out these topics:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1846

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1814

I also posted a little bit of information that might help you out:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3808

Between those topics, and the articles on Albion's site, you should be able to wrap a pretty mean grip in no time. You might even get addicted and consider customizing Mag-Lites or Playstation controlers.

As for pictures of the sword in question, the best pictures that I have seen of the grip are in this post:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3635

I haven't seen much of the tip, but I think you can get a fairly decent idea of that from the picture on Albion's SL Knightly page. I'm sure that is not exactly what you are after, but I hope it helps a bit.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can someone who owns one tell me or show a pic of the tip area of the knightly? I am curious as to if the point is sharp like the Albion website says it is or if it if like the bastard's tip and pretty blunt.
Thanks.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My impression is that the tip will be blunt like that of the bastard. I would not, however, use them as a direct comparison. The bastard, as a type XVa, is designed to have a sharper point; that means that any amount of rounding or blunting in that area will be very noticable. The knightly, however, is a type XII, which means that the tip is naturally going to be more rounded (do not confuse "a good point" with "a very sharp point"). Type XII swords are capable of thrusting, but they were primarily designed for cutting, and thus were not as pointy. The opposite is true of type XV's and XVa's.

My guess, based on the picture of the SL Knightly on Albion's site, is that the point of a sharpened version of this sword could penetrate an unarmoured target fairly easily, but would not be as effective against armour.

If you get this sword, would you get it sharpened, or leave it blunt? That is something you might want to consider. Also, you stated in your original post that you were debating between this sword and the Next Gen Knight. If you are anywhere at all close to having the money, I would recomend springing for the Knight. If you can't afford that, then obviously go with the SL Knightly (and I would pay the extra $25 to have it sharpened, but that's just me).

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Jeff Ross

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Harton wrote:
Can someone who owns one tell me or show a pic of the tip area of the knightly? I am curious as to if the point is sharp like the Albion website says it is or if it if like the bastard's tip and pretty blunt.
Thanks.

Jonathan,

I have two of these. They are rather on the pointy side, compared to the photos I've seen of the bastard, which I do not own. It is definitely too sharp for sparring, in my opinion, without some rounding of the tip. I personally do not find the hilt wrap seam to be unattractive or unpleasant in the hand. It is definitely not of the same quality as any of my next gens, but it is still quite nice. I will attach some rather poor quality pictures below. I bought these for noncontact forms practice, and I have been very pleased with them as training tools. I have 2 pairs of Maestro lines on order for sparring in armour.

Regards,

Jeff

Attachment: 53.79 KB
hilt_side_2.jpg
hilt detail showing seam

Attachment: 39.1 KB
tip.jpg
tip next to US dime

Attachment: 44.95 KB
hilt and tip.jpg
hilt and tip
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know your interested in the Knightly SL, but I have the 13th Great SL and I'm more than pleased with it. A very good buy for the Price, solid and rugged. I should think that the Knightly SL would be no different.
May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Squire Line Knightly Pics Plz?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic