Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early x-mas! My Angus Trim Model SB 1452 practice sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Early x-mas! My Angus Trim Model SB 1452 practice sword         Reply with quote

I recieved my fist Christmas present this wedesday, A lovely new SB 1452 from Uncle Angus. Big Grin

Overview

The SB 1452 is designed as a practice sword rather than a repica of a historical sharp weapon. The hilt is a simple cruciform, with a slightly concave disc pommel.
The blade is for all intents and purposes a of diamond cross section, though a very shallow, blackened fuller has been added, to give the blade the look of a "earlier" blade. The blade itself, however is far narrower than a blade from this time period, to compensate for the blunted edges.
The sword was designed for use with rubber blunts to cover the tips, wich we will not be using. Therefor we have shortened the blades by about 5 cm, and rounded down the tips.

Handling Characteristics

The sword handles like a dream. The sword only weighs 2 oz. Despite this, the balance is well forward, giving the sword a comfortable blade presence. It is quick and responsive, while retaining good control through high speed maneuvers.
Many of the low weight blades that I have tried have been dedicated "sporting" pieces, with the balance as far back as posible. While this makes the sword very maneuverable, it also lessens control somewhat, because the sword requires "manual guidance" at all stages. When fighting light contact, like we do, this also means that you have to dampen the blow more actively, whereas blades with a forward CoB can be slowed down 5 cm before impact, and allowed to "drift" in.

Fit and finish

Perhaps the most intriguing thing about the sword is its assembly. the hilt is held together by a nut, wich on my particular sword is of the kind that is intended for manual tightening. Being able disassemble my sword in a matter of seconds feels a bit weird, and brings back memories to field stripping my G3 rifle during army service.
The nut unscrews itself during use, but this would be fixed by applying thread tape, or something similar.
The pommel was not perfectly finished, but this was quickly fixed with a powertool. Otherwise the parts are well made, and solid.
The steel quality seems to be good so far. While hard edge on edge impacts leaves a visible mark, has yet to get any real notches. Time and use will show if this keeps up.

Conclusion

The SB1452 is by no means a "historical" sword. It does however do a good job simulating one. As a sparring weapon, it is light weight, fast, and controllable.
Over all, I am quite happy with my purchase.[/url]

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on that purchase. I think that sword will serve you well. I'm curious to know how well the edges stand up to some inevitable punishment.

The pommel nut you describe is a standard feature on virtually all ATrims. I think it is particulary suited to sparring and stage combat. If your hilt loosens up, then you can quickly tighten it, whereas the same situation with a peened pommel is much harder to fix.

I have my eye on one of the SB longswords. They aren't pretty, but should be good, durable, fast stage combat swords
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations and Ho, Ho, Ho! I think that your SB 1452 is very attractive - it has a simple elegance. Though, maybe its just your photography Laughing Out Loud
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actualy, it's the official Atrim Direct image Happy
but, yes, it is a very sleek weapon.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early x-mas! My Angus Trim Model SB 1452 practice sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic