Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thegn Viking Sword by Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Thegn Viking Sword by Albion         Reply with quote

I went to Kult of Athena today www.kultofathena.com to buy the Grosse Messer by Cold Steel, of which I did. While there I checked out the "Thegn" by Albion Swords, I compared it to the Berserker, Vinland, and the Clontarf.
The "Thegn" is the most beautiful and awesome Viking sword I have ever laid hands on and it took every last ounce of self discipline to leave it there at Kult of Athena and not buy it. I held these other swords in one hand while holding the Thegn in the other hand, all I can say is this, if you have ever held any of these other Albions before, man are you in for a treat when you pick up the Thegn!
Ryan has one Thegn in stock right now as well as one of each of the other Albions he lists on his website. When you go into the site, type albion in the search window and you will get a listing of every Albion he has in stock.
While the other Albion Viking swords kind of made my hand feel cramped but a good fit and these swords were beautiful as can be, but the Thegn, well in my book this sword is Perfect, I mean absolute perfection!

I will not attempt to give a review of the Thegn, as I am too much of a novice to be accurate and I will leave that to someone of more knowledge, unless that is of course someone already reviewed it. If not, someone has got to review this sword ASAP!
I was astounded as to how light and perfectly balanced it felt in my hand, I slung it around a bit to see how it felt and it was the definition of the word "grace". Now I am an Arms & Armor fanatic, I have a few A&A's I gotta have, but after that, I know exactly which Albion I am going to buy. It was painful to leave the Thegn at Kult of Athena today, but at this particular point in time it would have been financially irresponsible and I might have wound up with the hilt sticking out of the seat of my pants via my wife!
So there is one and only one Thegn hanging on the wall at Kult of Athena, waiting for someone to buy it.

I sure do wish I could be an omnipresent fly on the wall to watch the conquest for the purchase of this sword at Kult of Athena!

Happy Collecting and Good Luck to All vying for this sword, you have no sympathy from me, given the pain I went thru to leave that sword hanging on the wall today!

Bob
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though the Thegn is a "Viking Age" sword, it's really an Anglo-Saxon Sword rather than a Viking sword of Scandinavian origin. This makes it quite different than the other swords you used for comparison.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan, a clear example why I would not attempt to give a review, I did not even get the type of sword right LOL!

Ah well, still all the same, that sword is perfection!

Bob
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Thanks Nathan, a clear example why I would not attempt to give a review, I did not even get the type of sword right LOL! Ah well, still all the same, that sword is perfection!

It's just one small detail, Bob. I'm just trying to help. There's a ton of crap to know about this stuff, which is why it's so interesting. You'll never stop learning. The more you learn, the more you need to learn. We're not born with this in our heads right out of the womb Happy

It's also probably not completely incorrect to call these items "Viking" in that they are Viking Age. There's just more to the story to tell, I guess.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Thegn and the Clontarf are my favorite "Viking" Albion NextGens. I didn't really like them at first, but they've grown on me. My favorite thing about the Thegn is its amazing lightness, while still maintaining the same length and the approximate length of the other "Viking" swords. I too would love to buy it, but it would be financially irresponsible of me, too. One was "bad" enough, although I don't and never will regret it.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I wasn't trying to plan for a possible custom commision next year I'd have ordered a Thegn by now. I didn't think I'd like it at all but once I saw the photos of the actual sword I became very enthusiastic.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, to feel the Thegn in your hand is to feel the spirit of this sword come alive in your bones. You have no idea how hard it was for me to leave Kult of Athena today without that sword! It was emotionally excruciatingly painful! I do not know who designed this sword but whoever they are, that person is a genius! Other than my wife, I have never felt anything more beautiful in my hand! Keep in mind how much I love Arms & Armor swords here Patrick, to me the Thang feels as beautiful in my hand as does my A&A English Longsword or my A&A Three Ring Italian Rapier. I cannot give a bigger compliment than that Patrick. My opinion, if there is any possible way you can swing it, Buy This Sword!
I have to be careful how I describe the pleasure I felt when I held this sword as this is not an X - rated website. As I told Ryan at Kult of Athena today, "If it was at all possible financially right now, this sword would be leaving with me today and you have no idea how painful it is for me to leave this sword at your store but my wife would kill me!"

In summary, my advice, "Find a Way to Buy the Thegn"!

I also told Ryan that it just about killed me to have to leave that sword behind for one of you guys to buy. LOL!

Truly Stunned with Pleasure!

Bob
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, too, originally dismissed the Thegn from my wish list. But the photos of the actual sword really piqued my interest. Sigh. So many swords, so little budget!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
I do not know who designed this sword but whoever they are, that person is a genius!

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords-recreated.htm

C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Though the Thegn is a "Viking Age" sword, it's really an Anglo-Saxon Sword rather than a Viking sword of Scandinavian origin. This makes it quite different than the other swords you used for comparison.

I think it's worth noting that a great deal of the swords actually used by the Vikings were not Scandinavian in origin but often originated in the Rhineland and areas under Frankish control. In many cases only the hilts would have been of local construction, and I would suspect that this was frequently the case in Anglo-Saxon England as well. I am not aware of any meaningful or even identifiable differences in blade type between the continent and the isles during this period. Furthermore, while the Petersen's type L hilt is thought to be of Anglo-Saxon origin, quite a few swords with hilts of this type have also been found in Norway, and would thus have been in use by the Vikings themselves.
One of the swords used for comparison, the Clontarf is in a similar situation. While the sword that this model would appear to be based on was found in Ireland, where it was no doubt carried by a Viking, both blade (Ulfberht) and hilt (type K with a vine pattern) are likely Frankish in origin. The Berserkr, of course, represents what would appear to have been an exclusively Viking type.
If anyone has any information to the contrary I would welcome your comments.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've tried to simplify it here, C.L. Miller.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK well that makes sense and I was pretty sure it must have been Peter Johnsson. I remember when I first joined this website, it took me all of a couple of minutes to read an article by Peter to appreciate the magnitude of this man. Not only is Peter Johnsson a genius in my opinion, he is also truly gifted above and beyond that.

Thank you for one of the most beautiful swords ever created Peter!

Bob
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
OK well that makes sense and I was pretty sure it must have been Peter Johnsson. I remember when I first joined this website, it took me all of a couple of minutes to read an article by Peter to appreciate the magnitude of this man. Not only is Peter Johnsson a genius in my opinion, he is also truly gifted above and beyond that.

Bob

One thing to remember is that, while Peter created the design, there are other hands involved in it's manufacture at Albion. It takes a skilled grinder, cutler, etc. to put that sword together.

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes your right and thank you for bringing that up, just kind of slipped my mind. Congratulations to all the expert artisans at Albion, you have delivered a masterpiece!

Sincerely,

Bob
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've tried to simplify it here, C.L. Miller.

Understood. =)
Just adding some, possibly needless, elaboration on Viking swords (swords made or used by Vikings) versus "Viking" swords (European swords made or used during the viking period).
For anyone who's looking for some more background on swords of this time, Ian Pierce's Swords of the Viking Age is a great resource and a fine addition to Oakeshott's work in Archaeology of Weapons and Records of the Medieval Sword, all of which see frequent reference on this board.
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:

Bob

One thing to remember is that, while Peter created the design, there are other hands involved in it's manufacture at Albion. It takes a skilled grinder, cutler, etc. to put that sword together.

Big Grin

http://www.GageCustomKnives.com/
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes and I corrected myself within 4 minutes of Patrick's post. It takes the hands of the expert artisans to produce all these fine swords we the collectors our now priviledged to have the opportunity to buy. I do not for one second forget these integral people, I was very tired at the time I wrote the post. Had only slept 4 hours the night before because I was wired about going to Kult of Athena that day to buy my Cold Steel Grosse Messer.

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Yes and I corrected myself within 4 minutes of Patrick's post. It takes the hands of the expert artisans to produce all these fine swords we the collectors our now priviledged to have the opportunity to buy. I do not for one second forget these integral people, I was very tired at the time I wrote the post. Had only slept 4 hours the night before because I was wired about going to Kult of Athena that day to buy my Cold Steel Grosse Messer.

Happy Collecting,

Bob

I don't think there's any criticism meant there Bob. Don't read so much into a simple smilely face. It's all good.

Big Grin

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that Thegn looks really cool. I haven't seen on in person yet though. My two favorites of Albion's Viking collection are the Vinland and the Jarl. BTW, I was just on Albion's site today and there less than 10 Vinlands left. Exclamation
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes it is all good. Big Grin

Regards,
John

http://www.GageCustomKnives.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thegn Viking Sword by Albion
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: