Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A GBS. And so it begins... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: A&A GBS. And so it begins...         Reply with quote

Just got an email from Craig at A&A and completion of my GBS should soon be under way. Excitement is an understatement for what I'm feeling right now, as this will be my first "higher end" sword. Naturally, since I based my decision to go with the GBS solely upon Patrick and Bill's reviews, I'll be coming after them if I don't like it. Laughing Out Loud (Like there's even a slight chance I won't like it...) WTF?! Razz
Anyway, I just had to share the good news with folks who would understand. Happy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: A&A GBS. And so it begins...         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Naturally, since I based my decision to go with the GBS solely upon Patrick and Bill's reviews, I'll be coming after them if I don't like it. Laughing Out Loud

Bring it on! We're both armed to the teeth! :P

Seriously, I'm pretty sure you're going to love that sword. I sold mine, and often times regret it... it just doesn't quite fall into the period of longsword that I generally collect (late 14th-15th c.). It's still a fantastic sword.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats! I've had the pleasure of playing with that sword several times. It's a wonderful piece; you won't be able to put it down anytime soon! Laughing Out Loud I'm also no stranger to the anxiety of waiting for it to arrive. Every time I purchase a new sword I quickly make a habit of looking for a big long box on my front porch! The Arms&Armor GBS will definitely be worth the wait though. -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: A&A GBS. And so it begins...         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Just got an email from Craig at A&A and completion of my GBS should soon be under way. Excitement is an understatement for what I'm feeling right now, as this will be my first "higher end" sword. Naturally, since I based my decision to go with the GBS solely upon Patrick and Bill's reviews, I'll be coming after them if I don't like it. Laughing Out Loud (Like there's even a slight chance I won't like it...) WTF?! Razz
Anyway, I just had to share the good news with folks who would understand. Happy

Yeah they are pretty safe. It was my first high end production sword as well.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also have an A&A GBS, and can vouch for Patrick and Bill's reviews. This is a great piece.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the GBS club. It was also my first high-end sword. It's been all downhill from there (my bank account that is Laughing Out Loud )

Seriously, the GBS is a wonderful sword. I love it more each day. I can never understand why people always sell it. Confused Congratulations.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A&A GBS. And so it begins...         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Bring it on! We're both armed to the teeth! :P
I'll be backed up by an army of 20,000 heavily-armed lawn gnomes! Laughing Out Loud

Mark Mattimore wrote:
I can never understand why people always sell it.

I noticed that trend myself while scouring this site for info about the GBS. It's a mystery to me too, since everyone who's owned one has given it extremely high marks. Question
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A&A GBS. And so it begins...         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:

Simply put: because it sells. Often when somebody puts something up for sale, one needs the money and needs it quick. The GBS sells quick and can be replaced. That was my reasoning.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A&A GBS. And so it begins...         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Mark Mattimore wrote:

Simply put: because it sells. Often when somebody puts something up for sale, one needs the money and needs it quick. The GBS sells quick and can be replaced. That was my reasoning.

Mine too. I sold mine to finance another purchase because I can always get another one.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Yes, it's the trap of CAN BE REPLACED that means not having one anymore. Razz

Might be very tempted getting one if I didn't already have its big brother the A & A Twohander. Big Grin ( Not selling that one anytime soon ! )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats!! The GBS was (is) my first real sword as well, other than the one I inherited from my dad. It's a fantastic piece; you're really going to enjoy it. I hope I never have to join the 'GBS Seller's Club support group' Laughing Out Loud
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a female friend who owns an Arms&Armor GBS she bought at the Bristol Renfaire in Wisconsin; she wouldn't sell it for the world. A few months ago, she was visiting here (Cincy) and we went to the Ohio faire and she wore her sword with costume. A gentleman saw it and offered her $800 for it -- she turned him down. Eek!

I have the same sentimental attachment to my A&A Schloss Erbach that I've owned for 5 years now. While not my first sword, it's my first "real, high-end production" sword. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always been glad there is a secondary market. I found mine in the classifieds some years ago.

They are a bit weighty for their length but handle quite well with two hands. This is a favorite early morning stretching sword.

They can be akward to display but these cast yoke type hangers (Denix?) have just the right amount of standoff from the wall and cradle the pommel perftectly. Just make sure you find a stud with the screws.

You can also use the side rings to display more swords/daggers. I often transport mine with a couple of shorter hilted swords (in their scabbards) nested in the side rings.

This model may well be the most commonly owned A&A model out there, a legend in its own time. My eyes still light up whenever I see one in the classifieds but I can never get myself to admit I really want two.

Cheers

GC
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I have a female friend who owns an Arms&Armor GBS she bought at the Bristol Renfaire in Wisconsin; she wouldn't sell it for the world. A few months ago, she was visiting here (Cincy) and we went to the Ohio faire and she wore her sword with costume. A gentleman saw it and offered her $800 for it -- she turned him down. Eek!

I have the same sentimental attachment to my A&A Schloss Erbach that I've owned for 5 years now. While not my first sword, it's my first "real, high-end production" sword. -Ted

LOL... you don't happen to have that gentleman's number, for 800 he can have mine and I'll buy a new one... hmmm or maybe not, mine is the only sword I've got that has A&A's maker's mark. (Before their stamping setup broke). Wonder how many people have one with a stamp these days...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouraging replies, guys. Happy Despite all the shining comments and reviews I read prior to deciding on the GBS, I'm still experienceing a bit of the "did I make the right choice?" phenomenon. I was initially torn between the GBS and the Durer. I'm glad I decided on the GBS for my "first". Happy

P.S. Of course, I may eventually end up with a Durer too... Eek! Laughing Out Loud
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
P.S. Of course, I may eventually end up with a Durer too... Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Ooo, the Durer is really nice, too! That's one I've been thinking about purchasing. The one I reviewed on this site belongs to a student of mine, so that means I get to play with it a lot without owning it myself. Happy That's probably the only reason I haven't bought one yet.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Edward Hitchens

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Edward Hitchens wrote:

LOL... you don't happen to have that gentleman's number, for 800 he can have mine and I'll buy a new one... hmmm or maybe not, mine is the only sword I've got that has A&A's maker's mark. (Before their stamping setup broke). Wonder how many people have one with a stamp these days...

Hers might, but I doubt it; she bought it in (?) 2002 -- my Erbach has a stamped mark, though. When I was with her that time and she declined his offer, I showed him my Windlass gothic-bastard sword and said "I'll give you this for 800!" Razz

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:

Ooo, the Durer is really nice, too!

In my (admittedly less-than-expert) opinion, when comparing the two, I came to the conclusion that the Durer, being 40 some-odd % lighter than the GBS and lacking the GBS's siderings, is definitely sleeker and more of a "finesse" sword; whereas, the GBS is more suited to brute force. That's not to say that I view the GBS as merely an unrefined "chopper" (far from it), it's just that the Durer is bound to be quicker on the recovery and more maneuverable. That's why I'd like to eventually have both. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
In my (admittedly less-than-expert) opinion, when comparing the two, I came to the conclusion that the Durer, being 40 some-odd % lighter than the GBS and lacking the GBS's siderings, is definitely sleeker and more of a "finesse" sword; whereas, the GBS is more suited to brute force. That's not to say that I view the GBS as merely an unrefined "chopper" (far from it), it's just that the Durer is bound to be quicker on the recovery and more maneuverable. That's why I'd like to eventually have both. Happy

Here is an example why stats don't tell the story.

I think you'll be quite surprised by the GBS. It's not really a chopper at all. In fact, it exhibits a point control that only a sword with a pivot point so near the tip could have. It's very well suited for half-swording and other work that would venture into making it almost work like a polearm. It's really quite versatile and not very brutish at all. Don't be lured into thinking that all heavy swords are meant to be powerful cutters/choppers. Often, these swords, especially later-period examples, are really tuned with a well-placed pivot point and dynamic qualities that make them work in diverse ways.

I also wouldn't call the Durer a finesse sword. In fact, it's quite authorative. Sure, when compared to the heavier GBS as you're doing, I'd say it can have more finesse than the GBS, but overall, I'd call it a very archetypical sword for its type. The Durer is a wonderful sword with authority to the cut, a good point, and some interesting qualities but is in no way something I'd call light, sleek, or approaching finesse. (I know you were comparing to the GBS and that's why those words are used...)

Strangely, the GBS may very well be quicker in the recovery when used for its intended purposes. I don't know. It has excellent responsive tip control. it's pretty surprising.

Both are excellent swords. They're just so different as to make it difficult to have a comparative conversation about them.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My blade bears a mark and was of 2001 vintage. I believe it was made after the blade changes but I'm not sure. It's a fairly rigid blade.

These do develop a lot of momentum but have enough finesse for bottles and mats. I've never taken it to plywood but it has severed some extraordinarily tough cardboard tubes. Steerage and leverage, via the doorknob, is pretty easy. Most of the weight is well back and the sword is nimbler (with two hands) than one might first think.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A GBS. And so it begins...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: