Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > To Bayeux or to buy Reeve? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: To Bayeux or to buy Reeve?         Reply with quote

Alright fellers,

I'm stuck, dead stuck. I want one of these beautiful blades, but I can't make up my mind which.
Anyone who owns either of these, PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Both have amazing qualities, I just can't decide.
This is going to be used for conquest era and Crusader reenacting as well as flourish training and test cutting.
With my short statue (5'4) and not so glaringly strong self, I need a blade that is aglie while not too long nor too blade heavy. Both swords seem to fit the bill.
Ya'll just throw whatever pointers ya'll can and help me out of this endless madness of stairing at pictures online for hours! You guys at Albion are cruel with these things, man.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Jonathan I will attempt to provide what help I may,

I own the Reeve in a red grip and like it very much indeed. It is a real contrast to my Norman and Templar, and to the Gaddhjalt I have handled yet do not own. All of these blades are contemporary but very individual. the Reene is by far the most "handy," in that it does have a bit less blade pressence.

I say go for the Reeve because the brazil nut pommel was so popular during this period and disc pommels, though cool, are really a dime a dozen on the reproduction market- not to take anything away from the Bayeaux which is a cool and classic design. The Reeve, I think, commands more attention- more time to examine and consider the shape of it's pommel.

I just think that the brazil nut pommel makes the sword more individual. This, though, may depend on what swords you own already. The only issue with the Reeve which is really a non-issue is having to get used to striking with the sword. I find dealing with the whole hammer grip/handshake grip and somewhat "pointy" pommel to be educational and a little annoying as it can be something to get used to as I find that the side of the pommel can sort of jam into the heel of my hand/wrist area in a strike.

That said both a re great swords and you would love either so don't give yourself a headache!
Surprised Happy Cool

Jeremy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Obviously I prefer the Reeve since I bought that one. Big Grin

I find the Type X blade combined with the brazil-nut pommel to be one of the classic designs of the 11th century era. I love a good wheel pommel but the type saw a much broader range of use than the brazil-nut. Consequently, the Reeve is the one to get if you're going for a conquest era impression IMHO.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On a performance basis, both are really great swords - handled them side by side last week. They are different, but either would be handy for you. From this aspect, I'll be completely useless to you and say 50/50, flip a coin.

From an aesthetic point of view, I prefer the Reeve. Both pieces are rather understated, but that Brazil nut pommel is fascinating in how complex the geometry really is... I couldn't resist that alone, and now I, too, own it.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a Reeve owner too, and I say go with the Reeve. You will find the plain type G pommel on swords from 900 to 1500, but the brazil nut was used over a much smaller period of time. There are fewer replica swords on the market with this pommel type, and the Reeve's is IMO the best carved that I've seen.

Now that Aaron owns one, at least 5 Reeves have been sold -- we are 1/20th towards the 100 sword ceiling for this model.
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have smaller hands than I'll bet most of you at least, so I'm not worried about a cramped grip. However, how do the rest of you feel about the pommel getting in the way when striking on the Reeve? This is one major point I am considering b/t the two and would just like to hear what ya'll think.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Harton wrote:
I have smaller hands than I'll bet most of you at least, so I'm not worried about a cramped grip. However, how do the rest of you feel about the pommel getting in the way when striking on the Reeve? This is one major point I am considering b/t the two and would just like to hear what ya'll think.

I've done a bit of cutting so far with my Reeve and I don't find the pommel uncomfortable, nor does it get in the way. It is extremely comfortable when using the sword in a handshake grip as it rides up into the base of the palm quite well without discomfort. I have larger hands and they fit comfortably yet snugly within the sword's grip. In a hammer grip the sword feels very secure.

If the brazil-nut pommel had been a hinderance in making an effective blow it wouldn't have been used. If a user is having a problem with an historically accurate design does the problem lie with the design or the user?

C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm another satisfied Reeve owner, but I'm actually going to recommend you purchase the Bayeux for a Norman/Crusader kit. The wheel pommel was an extremely common design during this period and one which seems to have remained in service, in greater numbers, for a longer period than the Type A brazil nut. My own interest in the Reeve was sparked by the prominent appearance of swords of this type in the Gospel of Otto III (circa 997 CE) and the Bamberger Apokalypse (circa 1000 CE). Either sword would serve you well, and would be historically accurate, but I feel (and I may be wrong about this) that the Reeve has an earlier period look/feel to it and that if you're hoping to have this sword do double duty in a conquest era kit and a (slightly) later crusader kit the Bayeux may be somewhat more representative. Plus, you can always point to the Bayeux tapestry itself and show off the representations of Norman swords just like yours.
On top of that, everyone else here already has a Reeve, we need some balance. Wink
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Harton wrote:

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've done a bit of cutting so far with my Reeve and I don't find the pommel uncomfortable, nor does it get in the way. It is extremely comfortable when using the sword in a handshake grip as it rides up into the base of the palm quite well without discomfort. I have larger hands and they fit comfortably yet snugly within the sword's grip. In a hammer grip the sword feels very secure.

I've also had the opportunity to get some cutting in with my Reeve, and I've got smaller hands like yours Jonathan. I've had no difficulty with the pommel whatsoever, and have found the Reeve to be a rather brilliant cutter. Very comfortable in the hand and easy to control. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have yet to cut with my Reeve, but in dry handling, I found no issues with interferance. If it feels odd at first, work with training your hand/wrist to move appropriately. As Patrick mentioned, it's an historical design that was repeatedly used, so it's not an oddity that was tried once and abandoned...

Don't know how many Reeves have shipped, but it's not in danger of going out of production in the immediate future...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may want to consider the Senlac as well. That one has me really intrigued. It looks like it's straight out of the Bayeux Tapestry and would fit well in a slightly later 1st crusade kit. If Albion had introduced that one before the Reeve I may have gone with it instead, I don't know.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
... but the brazil nut was used over a much smaller period of time. There are fewer replica swords on the market with this pommel type, and the Reeve's is IMO the best carved that I've seen.

The pommel for the SoSMT is also pretty cool... Peter finished the waxes and I got to see that sword mocked up, too... Cool

Between the Gaddhjalt, Reeve, and SoSMT, those three are far and away the best ones I've seen outside of historical originals... and I dig the Reeve's the most. It's very full...

Patrick Kelly wrote:
You may want to consider the Senlac as well. That one has me really intrigued. It looks like it's straight out of the Bayeux Tapestry and would fit well in a slightly later 1st crusade kit. If Albion had introduced that one before the Reeve I may have gone with it instead, I don't know.

I could have changed my order on the spot to this one, and either watch it get built, or even have a part in it myself... but I personally still like the Reeve better. I much, much prefer the Senlac to the Norman, though... that's a definite. Now, the reason I did spend a bit of time waffling over it was precisely what Patrick mentions... this is straight from the Tapestry... seen again and again and again in that famous bit of embroidery.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > To Bayeux or to buy Reeve?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic