Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Why all the ill will towards "exotic weapons" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Guys, I really don't want to get into the habit of bashing this stuff. We'll leave that to the other sites, ok?

If somebody finds pleasure in owning and collecting an $8 item that has a blade and hooks, so be it.

I know it, my apologies... I just haven't seen that thing in years and couldn't resist. Will resist temptation harder in the future... As you say different strokes and all that...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin;

Very good points and very entertaining as well. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: exotic weapons         Reply with quote

No Dachi's were used more than you might think. Temple swords were usually those that had highly decorated hilts and sheaths, usually ivory. No Dachi were were rather efective battle weapons, ranking close to yaris and naganatas. A large number of Japanese woodcuts show them being used in battle.
Hank Reinhardt
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure that in the thirteenth century, firearms were considered by many to be "exotic" weapons. Against a man trained in the use of the longbow, a man using a handgonne was outgunned. Nowadays, their modern decendents are commonplace and easier to use. It's all about context and familiarity.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin, excellent post!

I would add one more class of exotic weapon, which has already been mentioned in other posts - the weapon is a modern fantasy, and was never used at all.

In your first class, there is the Abyssinian shotel, which seems to have been a sword designed precisely to reach around a large shield. The second class includes a number of "bright ideas" which didn't really work well. One of my favorites is the gun-shield (Tudor English, I believe). The idea of protecting yourself while shooting the other guy is appealing, but I suspect wasn't really practical.

In re weapons that are exotic because they are foreign: the nodachi is a good case, I think an Asian observer might think a zweihander to be exotic. The Mesoamerican maquahuitl is exotic to us, but in the absence of steel a wooden blade with obsidian worked quite well.

Pictueres of the Kiribati (aka Gilbert Islands) shark tooth sword: http://www.janeresture.com/kiriwars/main.htm with some interesting armour, and http://www.tribalmania.com/SHARKTOOTSWORDMARSHALL.htm (and this one's for sale, too!)
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Wang wrote:
Gavin, excellent post!

I would add one more class of exotic weapon, which has already been mentioned in other posts - the weapon is a modern fantasy, and was never used at all.

In your first class, there is the Abyssinian shotel, which seems to have been a sword designed precisely to reach around a large shield. The second class includes a number of "bright ideas" which didn't really work well. One of my favorites is the gun-shield (Tudor English, I believe). The idea of protecting yourself while shooting the other guy is appealing, but I suspect wasn't really practical.

In re weapons that are exotic because they are foreign: the nodachi is a good case, I think an Asian observer might think a zweihander to be exotic. The Mesoamerican maquahuitl is exotic to us, but in the absence of steel a wooden blade with obsidian worked quite well.

Pictueres of the Kiribati (aka Gilbert Islands) shark tooth sword: http://www.janeresture.com/kiriwars/main.htm with some interesting armour, and http://www.tribalmania.com/SHARKTOOTSWORDMARSHALL.htm (and this one's for sale, too!)

I think that is pretty much it. "Exotic weapons" are defined as unusual looking non-European weapons, or non-European weapons used in an unusual or atypical way.

Am I right in thinking it was a thread about the Indian pata that sparked this discussion? Big Grin

Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually Hisham, it was the thread on war mallets that I first heard that bit o' wit.

On the topic of Near Eastern and Asian weapons, I think these are plenty of widely accepted "standard" weapons, from the kris to the khopesh, the katana, the yari, et al.You could call the nunchakus "exotic", but most everyone I know, including people who would fall asleep at a sword convention, know exactly what they are. I don't think its simply a case of "Non-European" weapons being held up as bizarre or exotic. Reference the funky ceremonial polarms in the Doges Palace vs. a shamshir. Granted most people on the street would call a shamshir by the wrong name, but next to these badboys, its downright mundane. BTW thanks to Alex B. for that pic.

While I'm blathering, thanks to Hisham for all the insight into near eastern arms and armor. I greatly enjoy your posts, and have gained a lot of respect for that aspect of arms. OK thats off topic, but thanks anyway, I never knew how much I didn't know. Big Grin

Attachment: 122.93 KB
strange polearms.jpg

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, the purpose of the statement is to remind people not to get to enthusiastic about the combat abilities of "unusaual" weaponry.
For instance, a Sashmir isn't "unusual"; it was standard armament for about 1/3 of the world.
But it would apply to the Pata as it is a weapon that saw pretty limited use.
So "unusual" or "exotic" would refer to how much they where used, not where they come from

Guns are a example by its survival. Through battlefield use they proved effective, survived and evolved.
Some designs, such as the Duck's foot, or combination firearms, stayed uncommon. If they where fiendishly effective, they would probably be more common...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhh the Ducks Foot. I'd love a pic of that one.
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooh Ooh this is cool. This is an exotic weapon. Downside is the liability. Worried

Attachment: 26.99 KB
duckfoot3.jpg

Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
OThis is an exotic weapon.

Awesome. Thanks.
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A weapon that fits into Gavin's C category is a crossbow I remember seeing in a Canadian museum (Perhaps the Canadian War Museum, I am not certain). It was taken from a Nazi soldier who had fashioned it out of a bed frame and the springs, wounded (or killed?) an enemy soldier before being captured. Sadly, I can't find any images of it, or even any documentation.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gavin! Those are some cool looking polearms!

Bob
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
A weapon that fits into Gavin's C category

Does this mean I get my own typology? I can hear it now... "according to Kisebach's typology of exotic weapons, this is a category B gimmick..." sweet. Laughing Out Loud Cool

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank,

Apparently, at least one name for the shark tooth sword is the Koa sword: http://www.tikimaster.com/product/KOA27
And, there's also an alleged 19th century specimen for sale if you've got $1,500. It probably beats robbing a museum: http://www.tribalmania.com/SHARKTOOTSWORDMARSHALL.htm

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Why all the ill will towards "exotic weapons"
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: