Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > looking for advice on making 15c armour pieces Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jason Adams

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: looking for advice on making 15c armour pieces         Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Im going to attempt to hammer out a few authentic pieces of 15th century armour, starting with easier projects like simple spaulders and helmets. Does anyone know where I can get some advice, tutorials or a message board to bounce techniques and ideas off of others that do this already?

Thank you
-Jason Adams
www.GothicGermany.org

~Jason Banditt Adams
www.Rogue-Artist.com
illustrator and concept designer

15C re-enactor:
www.GothicGermany.org
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this book might help: I haven't read it so I can't give you any evaluation of how useful you might find it: Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction

You can buy this through this site's bookstore and if you go through this site to purchase it this site wil get a small payment that helps to keep this place running.

You can also have a look here: http://www.armourarchive.org/

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jason Adams

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for those! Happy If I get the book, Ill use your link so you get some kick back.
-Jason

~Jason Banditt Adams
www.Rogue-Artist.com

15C re-enactor:
www.GothicGermany.org
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That book is awesome. It technically is covering armour that is earlier than what you want to do, but it will still teach you the techniques you need to know (forming, dishing, planishing, etc.). I don't do any armouring myself (aside from one weekend where an armourer let me work with him... that convinced me to just buy it from now on! Laughing Out Loud ), but I still bought the book anyway, and it is still fascinating as a general reference guide.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, but it's myArmoury that gets the kickback IF you go through the BOOKSTORE of this site on the home page.

1) You go to the bookstore
2) Find the book and the link to the vendor and go to the vendors site from there.

(Moderators: If there I have the details wrong about how best to do this please correct me. )

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very good book.

I had the pleasure of meeting Brian Price several times when I lived out in California as we were both in the SCA at the time. Brian is a wealth of knowledge and a fine gentleman. He's done quite a bit to advance the subject of medieval arms.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for advice on making 15c armour pieces         Reply with quote

Jason Adams wrote:
Hi everyone, Im going to attempt to hammer out a few authentic pieces of 15th century armour, starting with easier projects like simple spaulders and helmets.

Hmm... hadn't ever thought I'd see those two in the same sentence. Authentically raising a High Gothic sallet from a single piece would have to qualify as something (way) beyond basic.

Jason Adams wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get some advice, tutorials or a message board to bounce techniques and ideas off of others that do this already?

I'm in no way trying to discourage you, Jason, but the rest of your post here leads me to believe that you don't have tons of anvil time... but I may be totally wrong. The thing I really don't want to see is frustration getting the best of you. We all lose out that way. In all sincerity, I'd love to see you kick serious butt in your work - especially in 15th C, which is my personal fave.

Jean pointed out a good reference book. Through I haven't seen it, I believe Peter Fuller of Medieval Reproductions has a video on making a helm (albeit a barrel helm - much earlier than you would like to focus on) that may well be worthwhile. Also, there are some decent articles at www.arador.com though their discussion forums were hacked and vanished.

I have some similar aspirations, Jason... for now, I'll build up skills forging scabbard fittings, buckles, and some simpler things like a kettle helm... As my skills grow in complexity as well as variety, my projects will too.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
(Moderators: If there I have the details wrong about how best to do this please correct me. )

The forum automatically replaced the link to the Amazon link that gives us a referral credit. So it's all good.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armour Pattern Archive
Jason Adams

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck: That link is AWESOME thanks!!

Aaron: nope, dont have a forge. Got an aceytlene torch and some decent patience. The helms Im raising historically look like crap and I like em that way Happy The old black sallet for militia. Oh yeah! The group Im in is all militia from Germany, poor folks conscripted, so we go with the most basic and cost-effective of stuff. So it doesnt need to come out looking fantastic, or uber-fluted, just enough to make someone think they will be protected. Most of surviving examples from our area are VERY thin and easier to work with than the hard-core stuff used in the SCA.

Ill be at it in the spring and Ill post my progress.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!!!.

-Jason
www.GothicGermany.org

~Jason Banditt Adams
www.Rogue-Artist.com

15C re-enactor:
www.GothicGermany.org
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ah jason! ok kewl, i'm in keyser wv jsut south of you. your in the group with tim finkas right? check out my group in the DC/md/va area. www.lordgreys.org we want a big event in the fall of next year, make sure u guys can come out ok?
Jason Adams

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lord Greys! Yeah, kick @ss, I should have recognized you Chuck. We're wanting to come out to it. Just gotta have our stuff done by then. We may not have enough to do combat, but as civilians we will try to be there! Make sure I get on teh mailing list for announcements on the event, Ok?

-Jason

~Jason Banditt Adams
www.Rogue-Artist.com

15C re-enactor:
www.GothicGermany.org
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.lordgreys.org/paston ignore teh dates i forget teh new ones next year. i'll get them to ya, make sure u check out the registration pdf flier, its got some good info on it

oh and i'm tring to find a russian armour lin kfor you. i keep losing my bookmarks.

if your post on the fyrestryker forum, check with teh guy form the 15thc group in florida. think his posts were under LMF or something like that. he made killer stuff for what you sound like u want
Jason Adams

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool, Ill try to look LMF up. Let me know about that link in Russia!

thanks my man,
-Jason
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

The forum automatically replaced the link to the Amazon link that gives us a referral credit. So it's all good.

Nathan: Wow, now that's impressive web design. You don't miss a trick do you. Cool Laughing Out Loud

( Edit: finally took a chance clicking the " quote feature " instead of doing a copy / paste like I usually do ! And I did it here without trying it out in the testing zone first. Razz Did what seemed logical and since the " person " who designed this site IS logical it worked the first time out: User friendly design. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin )

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > looking for advice on making 15c armour pieces
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic